PDA

View Full Version : Finding Grandad in 1939

Tom Tom
15-02-16, 21:41
Hi,
I thought I would get in with my 1939 question early, before they all come rolling in.
I would like to try and find my Grandad on the register, but his record will be closed.
I know he was not at home with his parents as I purchased their entry and there are no closed entries in their household. We know he was evacuated at the start of September, so we assume that he will be in a small village in Suffolk that he was evacuated too.
Obviously, nothing comes up on the search for his name and DOB as the record will be closed.
Will it be enough for me to send his death certificate, DOB and the village name to Find My Past?
Thanks for looking.

kiterunner
15-02-16, 22:25
Can you tell us what village, please, Tom, because I think some village names don't actually show up in the address and you have to figure out which Rural District it is.

Tom Tom
15-02-16, 22:30
Hi Kate, it was Halesworth in Suffolk. He was only there a short while before moving to Sussex I think and then back home for most of the war.

Edit: it was actually Spexhall, which is a village just north of Halesworth.

kiterunner
15-02-16, 22:45
Only one family comes up if you put Spexhall in the "place keyword" or "street" field (I seem to remember that village often counts as street on the search), in Wainford Rural District which seems to be in the right area. Hopefully tomorrow we will be able to look at the page for that family and see whether it is Spexhall village and whether there is any more to the address than just the village name.

Tom Tom
15-02-16, 22:49
Thanks Kate. Have just seen the same family and seen that they had three closed records as well, so possible that they were some evacuees. Shall wait and see what to,or row brings and will see if my Grandma can remember the name of the family as I am sure that would help!

Tom Tom
15-02-16, 23:08
Have just looked at the page that has Hilda Cross on, and on that page is a household with 8 closed records (Head is a lady born in 1883). Name definitely rings a bell, so think that he is probably in that household. Shall have to send FMP the death certificate when I get home.