PDA

View Full Version : Census area information

JBee
15-02-16, 09:21
In 1911 where can I find the roads covered in a census area? I know I could do it before all the changes (possibly not for 1911 though)

I need to find all the roads in Bushey Hertfordshire especially around Sparrows Herne to try and find someone in the 1939 register.

It's a closed entry for someone working there in 1939.

kiterunner
15-02-16, 10:32
If you browse the 1911 England Census Summary Books on ancestry, they have a description of enumeration district and of its boundaries at the beginning of each book, but the way they have been dismantled and scanned, the pages don't always go in order. For Bushey, Herts, they list the following sub-district numbers: 02, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12-14. I don't know whether that means that sub-districts 1, 3 and 4 didn't exist or if they are under some other heading.

Edit - then browsing the actual 1911 census on ancestry, Bushey only has sub-districts 6, 7, 8, 9, and 12-14. I'll see if I can find the rest...

kiterunner
15-02-16, 10:42
Okay, I took a name and address from the summary book for sub-district number 2 and searched for it in the census and it came up as Aldenham. Browsing Aldenham in the census, it lists districts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 11, and browsing it in the summary books lists 1, 2, 3 and 4. Aldenham sub-district 2 summary book is not the same as Bushey sub-district 2 summary book. So I'm more confused than I was when I started! Maybe FMP is clearer...

kiterunner
15-02-16, 10:47
Well, on Findmypast you can go onto the 1911 census Address search, type Bushey in as the parish or town and click "Search street results" and it gives you a list of streets, but when you click each one you get a list of addresses and you would have to click to view the transcription for each one to see which district it is in. And I presume that some streets are split between multiple districts, so not very easy on there either.

JBee
15-02-16, 10:55
Thanks Kite.

Since ancestry has changed I don't know what I'm doing lol.

Will have a look now thanks.

JBee
15-02-16, 13:48
Thanks Kite again

Using the summary books is a much easier way to find what I needed than I was attempting to do.

Just have to hope fmp doesn't crash tonight lol