PDA

View Full Version : After 12 years, still cant find them:(

Heather P T
05-02-16, 13:37
Really important to me but nothing, nowt zilcho that I can find - wondered if anyone had any further ideas, may be new records have come up

My GGFx4 Edward Horstead born c1735 and died 1827 in Ketteringham, Norfolk. Cant find his baptism or marriage.

Wife of Edward is Elizabeth Selby born c1742 and died 1826 also in Ketteringham Norfolk. Cant find her baptism or marriage.

First three kids - Thomas Horstead born c1765 - cant find his baptism
Elizabeth Horstead born c1767 cant find baptism John Horstead born c1768 cant find baptism

Have a settlement certificate 17 April 1768 when Edward Horstead GGFX4 and wife Elizabeth (Selby) moved from Ketteringham to the next village, East Carleton in Norfolk.

So, any ideas why I cant find these records? I have all the kids marriages by the way and their children and burials. Its just the place of first three's baptisms, the place of Edward and Elizabeths marriage and the baptisms of this couple that has stumped me all these years.

If anyone can help, Id be so grateful to find more about them. They are mums direct line, so important to me. Thanks.

Merry
05-02-16, 13:43
How do you know Elizabeth's maiden name?

Merry
05-02-16, 13:52
How do you know Elizabeth's maiden name?

Found the answer to that here:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=21245&highlight=selby

Heather P T
05-02-16, 14:05
You are good Merry :) I do wonder if I will ever get any further with this bunch. I mean where on earth were they prior to 1768? Must have been in Ketteringham around then because they get that settlement cert from ketteringham

kiterunner
05-02-16, 14:18
FreeREG has the baptism of an Elizabeth Selvey 21 Dec 1741 at Newton Flotman, daughter of Thomas and Sarah. Have you already ruled her out, Heather?

Heather P T
05-02-16, 14:52
Hi,thanks - I did see that one some time back, not sure it was a bit far fetched from Selby?

I also saw a marriage in New Buckenham, Norfolk for a John Horstade and Bridget Pilgrim about 1732 I think and I was hoping to tie that in with Edward but no such luck over all these years :(

Phoenix
05-02-16, 14:54
Elizabeth is 84 when she dies. There are unlikely to be any contemporaries left who remember her before she married. Even her children will be getting on a bit. So the name may have been mangled.

One ray of hope: if they married by licence, volunteers at Norwich are patiently listing the marriage licence applications. So keep checking the catalogue, in case something appears there.

kiterunner
05-02-16, 15:51
The old "v" can look pretty similar to a "b". I wonder if the Newton Flotman images are available to check what it says.
Edit - checked the images on FamilySearch and it is definitely a v.

JBee
05-02-16, 16:07
Have you checked whether the parish records still exist for that era?

I had one where the books were damaged. Some pages completely blank as water damage had taken the ink. Some pages had the odd entry that had survived. Yet other pages were full.

Maybe your parish records were the same.

Heather P T
05-02-16, 17:06
Thanks Phoenix, KIte and Julie.

I have seen the actual books Julie as the church warden at Ketteringham had held on to them :) and they were still in the vestry. No clues there.

I will follow that up Kite as Newton Flotman is only about 6 or so miles from Ketteringham (amazing I end up living here with the ghosts of the Horsteads :)).

Its a real mystery though, as they are pretty upright types Id have thought something would have come up by now. All the other kids were baptised in Ketteringham.

kiterunner
05-02-16, 18:10
There are some Selbye entries at Ketteringham from the 16th and early 17th centuries that come up on FamilySearch but none around Elizabeth's time.

Heather P T
06-02-16, 09:54
Thanks Kite. There are a couple around her time in East Harling but found no connection