PDA

View Full Version : The Mills family

ElizabethHerts
02-02-16, 06:46
Rev. Charles Samuel Mills married Margaret Edwards Blackshaw. He was born in 1869 and she in 1879.

However I have never found a marriage.

The East of London Family History Society very kindly gave me some information on Rev. Mills:

"He was actually assistant curate in East Ham and a well travelled man,
serving as Vicar of St Paul's Durban, Natal, South Africa, then Vicar
of Stanger, Natal, then Vicar of Umhlatuzana, Natal and finally as
Vicar of Ladysmith, Natal during World War I. He then went on to serve
as a missionary in Australia."

They think he was vicar at St Bartholomew's, East Ham.

Buried at St Mary Magdalene, East Ham:

Sarah Ann BLACKSHAW - Buried 4th April 1938 aged 89. Lived at the Vicarage, East Ham.

Rebecca BLACKSHAW – Buried 3rd Aug 1937 aged 87, Grave No 420 (Lived at The Vicarage St Bartholomew’s Road, East Ham.

Charles Samuel MILLS – Buried 18th December 1937 age 69. Lived at the Vicarage, East Ham.

I'd like to know when and where Charles Samuel Mills and Margaret Edwards Blackshaw married. Also, I can't find the births of their children, Alfred Charles Lyndon Mills and Margaret Constance Mills. Alfred served as a pilot in WWII but whether he survived I don't know.

I have the probate entries for Charles Samuel Mills, Sarah Ann Blackshaw and Rebecca Edwards Blackshaw.

ElizabethHerts
02-02-16, 06:58
Just to say, Margaret Constance Mills married Beverley Robinson in 1931 and had a son.

kiterunner
02-02-16, 07:18
The marriage comes up on FamilySearch, Elizabeth - 20 Nov 1906 at Durban, Natal, South Africa. There is even an image of the marriage certificate:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-63K9-9LW?mode=g&i=828&wc=M6BB-NM9%3A353943401%3Fcc%3D2063749&cc=2063749

kiterunner
02-02-16, 07:22
And also on FamilySearch is the 1949 immigration to Brazil of Alfred Lyndon Mills, born 7 Sep 1914 at Ladysmith. It has a button to click to view the image but when I click it, it is taking me to a browse screen at the moment so I will leave you to browse for it!

ElizabethHerts
02-02-16, 07:26
Wow, many thanks, Kate. I didn't look there.

Her mother Rebecca Edwards Blackshaw was a witness. She was the second "wife" of Charles Blackshaw, who was previously married to her sister Hannah. After he died she studied divinity and I wonder if she became a missionary of some kind, hence the South African connection.

ElizabethHerts
02-02-16, 08:19
And also on FamilySearch is the 1949 immigration to Brazil of Alfred Lyndon Mills, born 7 Sep 1914 at Ladysmith. It has a button to click to view the image but when I click it, it is taking me to a browse screen at the moment so I will leave you to browse for it!

As we cross-posted I have only just seen this - thank you, Kate.

In WWI Charles Samuel Mills was chaplain to the forces and had a living at Forest Side, Hampshire "at the cessation of hostilities" according to his obituary in the local paper. He went to Australia and worked in the Diocese of Brisbane. He went to East Ham in 1932.

ElizabethHerts
02-02-16, 08:20
Oh yes, he was vicar of Ladysmith for a while.

ElizabethHerts
02-02-16, 08:22
Alfred Charles Lyndon Mills died in the Bodmin reg. district of Cornwall in 1986. I wondered if that one was him, and it has the correct date.

ElizabethHerts
02-02-16, 08:25

I opened it in a separate window. It has his photo!