PDA

View Full Version : 1939 register

Margaret in Burton
20-01-16, 16:05
I've had an email from FMP saying that from 16 th Feb as a valued customer I'm entitled to unlimited access on the 1939 register.

Not enough people paying up I reckon.

kiterunner
20-01-16, 16:30
Nice! I've got one too. I don't think many people will be buying credits to view the 1939 Register in the meantime!

BlueSavannah
20-01-16, 16:34
I've had the email too and am so pleased now that I didn't waste much money on credits. I only bought the initial set of credits to view 5 records with the discount. I think they've not had as much business as they thought they were going to. This has come a lot quicker than I expected it to.

Margaret in Burton
20-01-16, 16:43
I only bought the initial 5 households then one more on a 50% off offer.
I also bet they want the general public to keep sending corrections in and that isn't happening because the cost is too high.

ElizabethHerts
20-01-16, 16:57
I've just got the same e-mail, Marg.

JBee
20-01-16, 17:18
I bought a half price one and then used credits I already had for another. As I have a World sub the credits weren't doing much.

kiterunner
20-01-16, 18:18
Some more details - the 1939 Register will be included in 12-month Britain and World subs from that date (16th Feb), existing subs and new ones. If you have a 12 month sub and you have bought credits to access the 1939 Register, if the credits are still unused, and not expired, on the 16th Feb you can email FMP support and they will sort out a refund (saw this on their Facebook page.) Also, the price of new subs is going up by 20% on that date but not for renewals of existing subs.

Chris in Sussex
20-01-16, 18:37
I really thought we would have to wait a few more years for this so I am really surprised.

I wasn't going to learn anything new from the 1939 for my direct line so I resisted the temptation to buy credits so feeling very pleased now:)

Chris

Mary from Italy
20-01-16, 20:17
Very annoying; I still have quite a few unused credits because I thought it'd be much longer before they added it to the sub (IIRC it took a couple of years before they added the 1911 census).

Mary from Italy
20-01-16, 20:19
If you have a 12 month sub and you have bought credits to access the 1939 Register, if the credits are still unused, and not expired, on the 16th Feb you can email FMP support and they will sort out a refund (saw this on their Facebook page.)

Oh, that's very good, thanks!

Kit
20-01-16, 23:10
I'm very excited. 2 days after my birthday!!!!!

I don't need the register for anything so haven't bought any credits but it will be interesting to have a look.

I, too, am surprised at how quickly this has happened. The 1911 census was at least 12 months before it was added to the subscriptions.

Kit
22-01-16, 02:22
Now I'm impatient to see the register. Seeing they have made the decision couldn't they just do it now? :p

kiterunner
22-01-16, 07:15
They probably need to make sure their servers are ready for the increased usage, Toni.

maggie_4_7
22-01-16, 07:33
I expect they are hoping more people will buy yearly subscriptions on the back of this.

I don't expect their servers to cope.

Merry
22-01-16, 08:13
fmp have not sent me an email. :(

If I had spent a lot of money on 1939 credits I would be fuming that they were doing this so soon after the database was released.

kiterunner
31-01-16, 18:24
Just seen that FMP say on Facebook that the 1939 Register will be included in the library editions of FMP from 16th Feb.

Kit
01-02-16, 01:39
They probably need to make sure their servers are ready for the increased usage, Toni.

That fact doesn't stop me being impatient. :d

I expect they are hoping more people will buy yearly subscriptions on the back of this.

I don't expect their servers to cope.

They certainly are. They had a 10% off discount as the prices will be increasing soon.

kiterunner
15-02-16, 18:57
Just seen on Facebook that they aren't saying what time tomorrow they will be flicking the switch, so don't stay up late expecting it to happen at midnight!

Kit
15-02-16, 21:09
I was just going to ask that. It is just after 9am here but no access as yet.

Kit
15-02-16, 22:12
Just seen on Facebook that they aren't saying what time tomorrow they will be flicking the switch, so don't stay up late expecting it to happen at midnight!

I can't see that at all. I wonder if they took it down.

kiterunner
15-02-16, 22:23
It's in their reply to one of the visitor posts on their page, Toni. They say "We don’t have an exact time to provide, please do keep checking the site tomorrow."

Tom Tom
15-02-16, 22:59
Looks like it's open!

Mary from Italy
15-02-16, 23:11
So it is, thanks, Tom! That was very punctual :)

Kit
16-02-16, 01:13
Yes, it is and these closed records are asking so many questions.

I know where my great aunt was living, probably with my grandma. Is there anyway I can work out for sure it is my grandma?

kiterunner
16-02-16, 08:46
Yes, it is and these closed records are asking so many questions.

I know where my great aunt was living, probably with my grandma. Is there anyway I can work out for sure it is my grandma?

By asking to have her record opened? (Assuming she isn't still alive - if she is then she would have to apply to see her own information.)

kiterunner
16-02-16, 09:39
If anyone else is finding the images are blurred, like I am, download them, because the downloaded versions are o.k.

JBee
16-02-16, 10:25
Think it must have been midnight.

I waited until about 1am and got on ok - in before the rush lol.

Janet
16-02-16, 13:26
I mined it until about 1 a.m. my time, which meant that it was 6 in the morning across the pond and you eager beavers were waking up. Things then started to get quite slow! I went to bed. Lol.

This evening when you all go to sleep again I plan to do the obvious thing I should have thought about last night. It's finally occurred to me to go systematically through my grandma's 1934 address book.

Mary from Italy
16-02-16, 17:11
I was lucky in that my Auntie had a birthday book to remind her of people's birthdays, so I had exact birth dates for a lot of people.

maggie_4_7
17-02-16, 16:18
Some more details - the 1939 Register will be included in 12-month Britain and World subs from that date (16th Feb), existing subs and new ones. If you have a 12 month sub and you have bought credits to access the 1939 Register, if the credits are still unused, and not expired, on the 16th Feb you can email FMP support and they will sort out a refund (saw this on their Facebook page.) Also, the price of new subs is going up by 20% on that date but not for renewals of existing subs.

Just to let you know a one month World Subscription is valid too I got a one month World on a £1 voucher code and I can search and open 1939 transcripts and images. I also think a one month Britain sub covers it too.

So if you don't want to lay out on a years subscription one month will do but please check the Britain one.

kiterunner
17-02-16, 17:05
That's interesting, Maggie. I wonder whether it is intentional or a mistake, because I have seen them say on Facebook recently that it was only being added to annual subs.

Merry
17-02-16, 18:39
Yes, there's a lot of people complaining about not being able to access the 1939 register on a monthly sub.

maggie_4_7
17-02-16, 18:55
Yes, there's a lot of people complaining about not being able to access the 1939 register on a monthly sub.

Well I can!

I wonder if they have tried! Oh don't tell anyone then.

Whoops ****** I think they realised I can't access images now but I can still see preview of the person I search for

kiterunner
19-02-16, 10:52
The preview is free, Maggie.

FMP have now added a "browse" facility for annual subscribers:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/1939-register-browse