PDA

View Full Version : Opening a Closed Record on the 1939 Register

BlueSavannah
18-01-16, 15:33
Hi,

Can I ask the people who have submitted requests to open records, were you only able to do so if you had a copy of the death certificate?

I noticed on the request form that it says it only allows this but I don't have a copy of my grandmother's DC and I would like to open her record. I have a copy of her obituary and I guess saying that I attended her funeral isn't going to be enough. The person who has the DC won't let me copy it and she only died in 2013 so even if I had the money, I don't think I will be able to order a copy.

kiterunner
18-01-16, 16:14
I haven't submitted any requests but I have seen people ask this question on Facebook and as far as I know, FMP have always said they need the death cert.

kiterunner
18-01-16, 16:18
Also, I think you would be able to order a 2013 death cert if you have the info the GRO ask for when ordering, as the GRO site says "GRO is not able to issue certificates for events that have taken place within the last six months (for marriages this period is extended to eighteen months)".

JBee
18-01-16, 16:30
I'm waiting to get a record opened.

Had to upload copy of death certificate and it said it would take 10 days - it's already passed that - don't know how long it will be.

BlueSavannah
18-01-16, 16:55
Thank you Kate & Julie. I thought it would be death cert only but just wanted to check if anyone knew if alternatives were able to be used. I think I need to have another chat with the person who has her DC. I really can't afford nearly £10 on a DC of someone who I know when died and what of :(

Merry
18-01-16, 17:21
I would contact fmp and ask them. I wanted my mother's record closed as she is alive but they had the entry open. They state various items they will use as proof a person is living (current passport, driving licence etc) none of which mum has. When I emailed them they said a recent bank statement would do!!

Having said that, they are supposed to close a record within 72 hours once they have the paperwork, but they have given themselves 90 days to do mum's because they are 'very busy' lol I think we are on about 80 days of the 90 at the moment and as of yesterday her entry was still open!

BlueSavannah
18-01-16, 17:28
That is shocking poor Merry that they haven't closed your mum's record after how they've been about opening up records of people that have actually been long deceased. Hope they close it soon.

I will send them an email and ask.

JBee
19-01-16, 13:42
Got reply last night after 12 days - not opened as no-one of that name at that address.

Merry
19-01-16, 15:43
Got reply last night after 12 days - not opened as no-one of that name at that address.

Won't they search the closed records? Anstey Nomad had a thread (or was posting on a thread) about doing that, but I don't know what happened in the end.

BlueSavannah
19-01-16, 15:54
Oh Julie, that's such a shame :(

I've just noticed on the record that I want opening, two of my nan's siblings have been opened by FMP since I originally looked and it isn't because anyone has requested for them to be so I can only assume that someone at FMP is cross referencing dates of births / deaths etc. The names are common too.

kiterunner
19-01-16, 16:04
Yes, FMP matched the closed records against the GRO deaths index recently and managed to open a lot of records from that.

kiterunner
19-01-16, 16:05
Won't they search the closed records? Anstey Nomad had a thread (or was posting on a thread) about doing that, but I don't know what happened in the end.

As far as I know, you have to supply the address to get a record opened.

Phoenix
19-01-16, 16:14
Yes, FMP matched the closed records against the GRO deaths index recently and managed to open a lot of records from that.

Gosh, yes! Found my Dad! Now have to wonder who the mystery child in the house is!!

JBee
19-01-16, 18:09
Unfortunately don't know the address only the area. Don't know who she would be living with either. She was born c1919 so won't open automatically for few years yet. As no idea if or who she married or if she's died already can't progress.

kiterunner
19-01-16, 18:14
I assume this is a different person from the one you mentioned in post #4, then, Julie? If you want to PM me the info you have I could see if I can find anything.

Merry
19-01-16, 18:47
In this post:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showpost.php?p=309376&postcount=221

fmp tell Anstey Nomad that she doesn't need an address for a search of the closed records to be made.

On the same thread, post #228 shows a response from TNA suggesting they do need an address, but she never posted their reply to her response to that (if indeed there was one)

JBee
19-01-16, 19:49
Thanks Kite - it is the same person but it came back unopened due to the name not matching.

I've asked for another closed record to be opened as I had credits but still no idea if that's the address where she was living. So now have to wait another 10 days.

That's very interesting that Anstey Nomad was told by fmp that she didn't have to provide an address for the FOI request but perhaps needs a dob which we haven't got only an approximate year. We know rough area though.

Only when we get a household can we (I'm helping someone with this) start providing death certificates and hope one eventually matches.

Kit
22-01-16, 02:30
The person who has the DC won't let me copy it

That seems rather mean. It's not like you are asking for the original.