PDA

View Full Version : What is this "corny" trouble in 1460 Stedham?

ayling1
09-01-16, 17:53
See http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.ayling/172/mb.ashx.

This is five short lines of cursive Latin from the Book of Common Pleas in 1460. It appears to be a John Dene suing Michael Ayling of Stedham, Millward, for "incitement".

This is one of the oldest documents (other than the Subsidies in Sussex, 1296, 1327, 1332) for the Ayling family.

I know that the local grain mill was a gathering place for the community at this time. I'm hoping someone can read cursive Latin and tell me what trouble Michael was up to. Thanks!

Chris Ayling, Cranbrook, BC Canada

ayling1
20-05-16, 14:37
Translation:

Translation: Line 1 reads : Sussex (in the margin) John Dene through his attorney came forward (appeared in court) on the fourth day against the defendant Michael Aylyng of Stedham in the said county ……..
Line 2 reads :……. ……..twenty sheep (for which) the same John paid forty shillings at Stedham …….. in which ……..
Line 3 reads : it (or he) drove (fugavit) ……..them to biting the sheep …….. …….. …….. that by putting them to flight………. bites ………
Line 4 reads : aforesaid ……….And other enormities ……. To which damages etc. Et …… peaceful …… and …… not …….
Line 5 reads : that attachment (arrest) ……. A command …. that he has nothing …… therefore he (must answer) this by the fifteen days (or the Quindena ) of Easter Day.

It seems that John Dene’s sheep were attacked or driven off by Michael’s dog. Unfortunately, the word dog (canis) does not appear, but may be on the “lost” part of the document.