PDA

View Full Version : Laughland Marriage c. 1849-50

geniebug
11-12-09, 22:51
I had a stray older child on my great grandfathers census notes - (see below in 1861 census)

I decided William (ggrandfather) must have married prior, and his wife deceased, as Samuel was 10, whereas William married Jane Galloway in 1855, and their first child was born 1856 (John Laughlan) This is the 1861 Census Census of Scotland 1861 shows that
William Laughland lived at 8 Moncrieff St, Paisley aged 33 (Miners Labourer), born in Ireland,
Jane, aged 26 born Renfrewshire, Paisley,
Samuel, Son aged 10, (Scholar), born Lanarkshire, Glasgow,
William John, Son aged 2, born Ayrshire, Auchinleck and
George Laughland, Son aged 6 months) born Renfrewshire, Paisley. Therefore William must have been born in Ireland in 1828, Jane in Paisley in 1835.

A friend found the following in 1851 census

removed - please don't copy and paste from ancestry

Wow the spelling of Laughlan got messed around a bit. But it does look promising, as Samuel would have been born c. 1851.

Is it possible to find a marriage of Elizabeth & William (tho how it would be spelt - no-one knows - it would have to be soundex. Even Elisabeth could be wrong.

I never found out what happened to Samuel after 1861, he just disappeared.

:( I just realised they would have been married in Ireland (probably Co. Derry, Drumachose) - but Samuels death would be helpful

kiterunner
12-12-09, 09:55
If Samuel died before civil registration started in Scotland, then there may be no record of his death. Scotland's People has put the existing pre-civil reg. burial records online; have you already searched them?

FamilySearch does have a William Lauchlan marriage at Abbey (Paisley), Renfrew 12 Jun 1847 but it is to an Eliza rather than Elizabeth (Eliza McKellops). We would need to find Samuel's baptism / birth to see what his mother's maiden name was. He is 2 months old born Barony, Lanarkshire on the 1851 census so it should be easy to know if we find the right entry, but I can't see anything that matches on Scotland's People.

geniebug
12-12-09, 10:20
Sorry about the illegal entry Kiterunner, I am still relatively new on this site. In the particular census, it showed an Elizabeth Lanchline living with William Laughlan (I presume that is a typo in translation)

I have no idea when Samuel died, - he would have been 20, and was not on the 1871 census with his mother.

Thanks again for your help Kiterunner

kiterunner
12-12-09, 11:44
If you want to know what the original image says for the 1851 census, it will be available on Scotland's People. If you have trouble tracking down the entry, look for someone else on the same page on ancestry who hasn't been mistranscribed.

Sorry, didn't realise Samuel was on the 1861 census. Doh! So he must have died after the start of civil registration, then...