PDA

View Full Version : Help reading occupation, please.

samesizedfeet
11-12-09, 20:11
1871 census

RG10; Piece: 1305; Folio: 25; Page: 4

George Wells (ancestry transcription = Wedds) born Stanwell

wife Mary Ann Wells (ancestry transcription - Marget Wedds)

I can't work out George's occupation. In 1861 it's Labourer but I don't think it's that in 1871 as it's completely different from son James (which does say labourer).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Zoe

Georgette
11-12-09, 20:35
Is it Stock man? But there looks like there's something after the K, so I'm not sure, although the "man" looks right :confused:

Jill
11-12-09, 20:39
Awful handwriting, think it begins with a big flourishing "S" (as in Scholar lower down) & the last part says "man". Sorry not to be of more help.

Margaret in Burton
11-12-09, 20:42
Maybe begins with an S as in scholar further down.

Looks like Sockerman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to say Costerman, but have changed my mind

samesizedfeet
11-12-09, 23:02
Thanks for trying everyone. I'm still not sure so may just leave him as Labourer for now.

Apologies for taking ages to come back - I think I've come across a case of incest but I'm trying to disprove it. I may have to revert to the experts here to help me out again

Z
x

Margaret in Burton
11-12-09, 23:08
Sounds interesting Zoe, you know we all would want to help

samesizedfeet
11-12-09, 23:17
I'm just trying to sort it out in my head first. It's not conclusive - more slightly suspicious

Joan of Archives
11-12-09, 23:24
It's definitely an "S" look at Scholar further down.

Stokerman??? Maybe to do with the railways or Iron foundries etc?

Uncle John
12-12-09, 19:13
Begins S o

Sally
12-12-09, 21:37
I hope that you don't mind me disagreeing, but I don't think that first letter is S at all. If you look down near the bottom of the page, there is a 12 year old listed as scholar, and the s is totally different.

Half way down the page there is a Margaret (not easy to read like the rest of it!) aged 12, and the first letter of what is written for her occupation is the same as the first letter of yours. If you see what I mean.

It definitely looks like....tryman at the end though! Not much help I'm afraid

kiterunner
12-12-09, 21:54
Margaret is a Scholar, Sally!

Sally
14-12-09, 18:17
*smacks Kate for ignoring what I wrote!!!

I don't think that it DOES say scholar next to Margaret, because further down is another 12 year old who is most definitely a scholar, and the S is completely different to the first letter of Margaret's word, and the occupation that we are looking for.

Goes to sulk in a corner

kiterunner
14-12-09, 18:30
Hey, no smacking on here, Sally! I didn't ignore what you wrote, but it does say "Scholar" next to Margaret even though the S is different from the S on the Scholar further down. Unfortunately some of these enumerators didn't keep their handwriting consistent from line to line.

Sally
14-12-09, 19:06
Ooops, sorry Kate! I didn't mean it, but thought that for once I was on to something and could help......;( oh dear.

Still, you are all teaching me something with each mistake that I make!