PDA

View Full Version : Staffordshire Wills - findmypast

kiterunner
03-12-15, 22:00
Friday has come a little early this week!

Diocese of Lichfield & Coventry Probate Court Act Books 1532-1638, and Diocese of Lichfield & Coventry original wills, inventories and letters of administration 1521-1858.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/staffordshire-dioceses-of-lichfield-and-coventry-wills-and-probate-1521-1860?_ga=1.52853544.1494116925.1289493982

Merry
03-12-15, 22:08
Another of those moments when I wish I'd made a list of people I need to look for.

Mary from Italy
03-12-15, 22:13
Ooh, brilliant! Pity I've spent so much money on them in the past...

Mary from Italy
03-12-15, 22:44
Jumping up and down with excitement here :)

I've finally found a definite connection (previously it was only circumstantial) between my Jonathan Mallet, tanner, who appeared out of nowhere in Lichfield in 1695, and the Quaker Mallets in Coventry.

One of the bondsmen in the admon of Richard Mallet of Coventry in 1721 is a Jonathan Mallet of Lichfield, maltster, and Jonathan the tanner's son was a maltster, so it's all falling nicely into place.

I already had a possible baptism for Jonathan in Coventry at a date that fits with his age at death and in the census, and with the same parents' names as Richard, but as their names are common (John and Mary) I didn't want to jump to conclusions.

Pity Richard didn't leave a will, though.

Two of the documents are signed by Jonathan junior, but I don't think I have any other documents signed by him to compare the signature with. Sadly hardly any of the Lichfield Mallets left wills, although they were fairly well off.

Merry
04-12-15, 06:05
Well done Mary!!

I need to make a greater effort.

When I looked at the database yesterday several times it said I was not authorised to view a document, but only about 50% of the time.

Mary from Italy
04-12-15, 09:21
That's odd, I've looked at loads of wills there already, and I haven't had that message.

Mary from Italy
06-12-15, 19:06
Anyone else having trouble getting the images to work today?

I'm not having problems with other FMP databases.

Kit
08-12-15, 22:59
I had problems yesterday. It was taking a long time to load anything so I'd go away and come back.

Sadly not many of my lot left wills. I did find one that confirmed a few things and left money to a daughter on the condition she married a particular man where discussions were already underway.