PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a rootsireland.ie sub?

James18
03-12-15, 13:50
Hi all,

I have a small favour to ask, if possible.

If anyone here has a rootsireland.ie sub, would it be possible to do a single look-up for me? I have searched GRONI and irishgenealogy.ie to no avail, so if the information I am after is not on rootsireland.ie then I am totally stumped.

However, it is my understanding that you have to buy a monthly or yearly sub rather than pay-per-view, and it is really not cost-effective for me to pay £18 for a monthly sub just to look up a single entry.

What I would like to know is whether there is a birth entry for an Emily or Emma Burlington, born 1900 +/- 1 year. I am pretty sure it would be 1900, though. Her parents were William James Burlington and Elizabeth Brown.

The census records I have for her say she was born in Ireland (1901) and Lanarkshire (1911) but she is definitely not on ScotlandsPeople, although I have found a first cousin of the same name who is.

If anyone would be happy to do this for me I'd be very grateful, as I can't find anything for her and without knowing her date of birth I have no chance of finding out when she died.

Shona
03-12-15, 14:08
Have you looked at Ancestry Ireland - run by the Ulster Historical Foundation? They do Pay To View. You can search on a name and the number of results will be displayed. You can see the basic stuff - name and date, for example - for free. I had a quick search and could not find a birth for an Emma/Emily Burlington.

http://www.ancestryireland.com/

kiterunner
03-12-15, 14:30
You can search for free (without a sub) on Rootsireland.ie, James; you would only need to pay to actually view a record. It doesn't come up with a birth for her.

By the way, I'm not sure why you say you are pretty sure she was born in 1900? She is 1 year old on the 1901 census, isn't she, so could well be born in 1899.

kiterunner
03-12-15, 14:32
Also worth bearing in mind this from Rootsireland.ie's Subscription FAQ section:

What can I do with my Subscription?

Once you have purchased your subscription you can search the index and view the available details of the records. You may use www.rootsireland.ie and its contents for your own personal, non-commercial use, i.e. to research your own family history. You cannot provide third parties with details of any of the records that you have paid to view, even if you provide them for free. Reasonable monthly limits have been set for users to allow them to access the index search and to view the details of any records that relate to their family history.

James18
03-12-15, 14:44
By the way, I'm not sure why you say you are pretty sure she was born in 1900? She is 1 year old on the 1901 census, isn't she, so could well be born in 1899.
Indeed. Hence the +/- 1 year.

kiterunner
03-12-15, 16:27
I must have misunderstood when you said "born 1900 +/- 1 year. I am pretty sure it would be 1900, though."

Shona
03-12-15, 17:33
Meant to say that I searched on Roots Ireland and found no hits for her using dates from 1899 to 1901.

James18
03-12-15, 18:48
Well, thanks for your help, folks. I'll have to give up on this, then. It's not actually someone on any of my family trees, but her father and half-sisters are and so I just wanted to see whether I could trace her.