PDA

View Full Version : Hussey of Frensham, Surrey and also of Sussex

ElizabethHerts
21-11-15, 20:33
I'm looking at my 6x-great-grandparents ready to post them.

Re. ISRAEL HUSSEY

From "Shottermill, its Farms, Families and Mills Part 1 - Early Times to the 1700s.

"There are, unfortunately, in the local parish registers during the 1700s few entries which also specify occupation, so that none of the workers at the hammer are definitely known. One exception might have been Israel Hussey of Linchmere who, when acting as witness at his sister's marriage in 1714, describes himself as a hammerman. There is, however, no way of associating him with any particular hammer, and he has other strong associations with Rogate. "

I don't know his parentage.

So who was his sister? I can't find the marriage.

Israel Hussey married Joane Chitty from Rogate by licence in 1720. By this time he was a carpenter.

July 2 Israel HUSSEY of Fronsuin, co. Surrey, carpenter, &
Joan CHITTY of Rogate : sureties, said I. H. and
Anthony Todman of Rogate, husbandman (Rogate).

Sussex Maid
21-11-15, 21:30
Sussex Marriages CD has -
Archdeaconry of Chichester Marriage Licence
25 Apr 1714
Mary Hussy, of Linchmere
John Morrell, of Faram, HAM
Sponsors ss J.M., Israel Hussy Hammerman Linchmoor (Rogate)
but there is not record of a marriage
Regards

Sussex Maid
21-11-15, 21:54
Oops sorry, I only checked for a marriage in 1714 - there is a marriage 26 Apr 1715 at Rogate for John Morrell and Mary Hussy.
Regards

ElizabethHerts
22-11-15, 06:54
Sussex Maid, many thanks! It is the 1714 marriage that was referred to by Greta Turner, but perhaps she didn't check the PRs to see when it took place.

I'm very grateful to you for helping me yet again with my Sussex ancestors. I had looked at Haslemere and Frensham, but Sussex is more difficult. There are Husseys and Chittys at Frensham but perhaps I need to look at Sussex now.

ElizabethHerts
22-11-15, 07:19
Sussex Maid, I have gone back to my tree and notes and I have this, which ties things together nicely:

1722/23
Feb. 24 William MILLS of Haselmer, co. Surrey, heelmaker,
Elizabeth HUSSEY of Linchmoor : sureties, said W. '.
and John Murrell [signs Morrell] of Linchmore, iron-
maker (Rogate).

Does (Rogate) mean that is where they married?

ElizabethHerts
22-11-15, 08:15
Sussex Maid, could I ask one more favour? The marriage licence for Israel Hussey and Joane Chitty is for 2nd July 1720 at Rogate. Could you tell me the exact date of the marriage, please?

Sussex Maid
22-11-15, 09:49
Happy to help,
The marriage for Israel Hussey and Joan Chitty has a date of 2 Jul 1720 at Rogate.
Elizabeth Hussey and William Mills also married at Rogate on 25 Feb 1722/3.
As both these marriages took place within a day of the licence being issued, the year/s for the Mary Hussey licence/marriage could be a transcription error.
Regards

ElizabethHerts
22-11-15, 10:50
Many thanks, a great help.

crawfie
22-11-15, 13:42
Wouldn't the 26th April 1715 be the day after 25th April 1714 as it was old style calendar?

ElizabethHerts
22-11-15, 13:51
Crawfie, I think it changed in March and not April. 25th March was the first day of the year.

crawfie
22-11-15, 14:08
Of course it did, just ignore me today, not really with it!!

ElizabethHerts
22-11-15, 14:17
That's OK, Crawfie. It's easily done. I have to check and double-check with things all the time.