PDA

View Full Version : Unravelling my Rundles!

ElizabethHerts
15-11-15, 09:15
I have four consecutive Ambrose Rundles/Rundells who are my ancestors.

Working backwards:

Ambrose m Elizabeth ? 6x-great-grandparents
Ambrose was baptised at Mevagissey on 17 March 1686/87 to Ambrose.
I can't find his marriage but his first recorded child, Mary, was baptised at St Blazey in 1710.

Ambrose died in February 1737/38 and left a will.

Ambrose and Mary (Cock) 7x-great-grandparents

I have no baptism for Ambrose.
He married Mary Cock on 22 May 1686 at Mevagissey.
He died at St Blazey in 1709, but I can't find a burial. His administration states he was of St Blazey.

He was probably born before 1663-ish.

Now the problem - the next earliest generation I have is

Ambrose and Elinor (Dennys)

I thought they were my 8-x-great-grandparents, but I now wonder if they are 9th.

They married in 1633 at St Austell.
I have no baptisms of children for them.

I have a will
http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/l_m/pdfs/mevagissey_will_rundall.pdf
of an Ambrose Rundall of Mevagissey dated 1692.
There is a burial 15th November 1693.

However, this would be nearly 60 years after his marriage!
Also there are burials for Mary Rundell in 1690, daughter of Ambrose senior, and Joan in 1685, also daughter of Ambrose. The younger Ambrose was not yet married.

So I am thinking that this Ambrose (dying in 1693) might have been the grandson of Ambrose and Elinor. If he were really elderly I wouldn't have expected the daughters (who would have been probably older too) to be named as his.

Next earlier generation:

Ambrose and Joane
The family originally came from Gorran/St Goran.
This Ambrose died in 1615 leaving two sons, Ambrose and John, and a pregnant wife. I have transcribed his nuncupative will, which helpfully tells me that his widow Joane married John Williams of Mevagissey.

Next earlier:
John and Alice
Alice left an enlightening will in 1629, when she died.
She names her grandchildren.

Do you think there is a missing generation between Ambrose and Elinor and then Ambrose and Mary?

I shall be going out later, so won't see comments for a few hours, but will be back this afternoon.

kiterunner
15-11-15, 09:42
Ambrose could have been married twice, couldn't he? Or do you have a death for Elinor which proves he wasn't?

ElizabethHerts
15-11-15, 13:14
Kate, that's possible. Unfortunately the PRs are very thin on the ground. Mevagissey isn't too bad, but they are non-existent for Gorran.

There is a John Rundle at Mevagissey whose wife died in 1670. I'm looking to see if they had children.

Phoenix
16-11-15, 13:05
Has Stoate done anything for Cornwall? I have lots of his Devon indexes, filling in gaps in that sort of period with taxes, muster rolls etc.

ElizabethHerts
16-11-15, 13:30
I don't know, Phoenix. I have only wills so far.