PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Salmoni Michigan help please

Just Gillian
08-11-15, 20:40
I am trying to find the parentage of a Thomas Salmoni c1866 Canada.

1871 Essex County, Ontario. In household of Sarah Salmoni. She is 64 so possibly a grandmother. Also in the household are an Alexander McDoneld (1844) and his one year old son Archibal.

1880 Detroit, Michigan. (From transcript)Thomas Salmoni c1865 Canada. Role "Other". In household of Alexander Mcdonell and Mary Ann Mcdonell.

Mary Ann's maiden name was Salmoni and her mother was the Sarah Salmoni from the 1871 above. I don't know where Mary Ann was in 1871. Edit - just found Mary Ann with Alexander and Archibald in Detroit in 1870.

9/11/1886 Thomas W. Salmoni aged 22 born Canada marries Alice May Spry in Detroit.

In 1900 and 1910 censuses he states that he was born in New York, but the 1892 birth record of one of his sons states his birthplace was Canada.

1915 Death Thomas W Salmoni Wayne, Michigan

I'm thinking this is likely to be the Thomas W Salmoni killed in the freight train and streetcar accident in Detroit in 1915. Alice Spry is a widow in 1920.

http://www3.gendisasters.com/michigan/12337/detroit-mi-street-car-freight-train-wreck-apr-1915

Oddly, there is an interment of a Thomas W Salmoni 17/4/1915 at Mount Elliott Cemetery Detroit, with no plot details, and one of a Thomas Salmoni 4/5/1915 at Mt Olivet Cemetery Detroit.

I only have Ancestry UK so have only seen some images available on FamilySearch. I wondered if someone with a world sub could kindly look at the 1880 Detroit census to confirm Thomas Salmoni's role, and at the marriage and death records mentioned above to see if any parents' names are given. FamilySearch has two results for the marriage - one for the marriage of Thomas W Salmoni and Alice M Spry and one for the marriage of Thomas W Salmoni and Alice May Spry. The second one is only a transcript with no extra details. The first image has no parents' names.

kiterunner
08-11-15, 22:34
On the 1880 census he is a Boarder, and it says that both his parents were born in Canada. The marriage record doesn't give parents' names and the witnesses are F C Cole and Willie Spry, both of Detroit.
The death record is actually on a Michigan site, not on ancestry, and he was killed in the streetcar accident:
http://cdm16317.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p129401coll7/id/90013 Parents' names are unknown. :(

It shows his burial as 17 Apr 1915 at Mt Elliott.

Just Gillian
08-11-15, 22:49
Thanks for looking all those up Kate :)

Looks like he'll have to remain a mystery. Big disappointment!

The Seeking Michigan site will be very useful for the rest of the family so thanks for that. I wonder why it didn't show up when I googled for Michigan BMDs.

Any thoughts on the two interments? It seems too much of a coincidence that another Thomas Salmoni should be buried so soon after the first.

kiterunner
09-11-15, 07:10
Where did you find the Mt Olivet burial, Gillian?

Just Gillian
09-11-15, 17:21
It is here Kate

http://www.mtelliott.com/genealogy/?_Tribute_name=&_Tribute_name1=&_Tribute_name2=Salmoni&cemetery=&year_start=&year_end=

I notice his death cert says inquest pending - maybe he couldn't have a permanent burial until after the inquest.

Shona
09-11-15, 17:43
This is the Salmoni household from the 1871 census for reference.

Amhertsburg, Essex, Ontario

Salmoni, Sarah, 64, born England, C of E, English, widow
Redsdale, Hannah, 59, born England, C of E, English
Salmoni, Margaret, 29, born U States, C of E, English
Salmoni, George, 22, born Ontario, C of E, English
Salmoni, Thomas, 5, born Ontario, C of E, English
McDoneld, Alexander, 27, born Ontario, C of E, Scotch, carpenter
McDoneld, Mary Ann, 27, born Ontario, English
McDoneld, Archibald, 1, born U Sates, Scotch

George Salmoni (above) married Ann Colleson on 17 June 1872 in Ontario. George was born in Amherstburg and his parents are named as Thomas Salmoni and Sarah Riddsdale. George's death (Family Search) in 1922 confirms that Thomas and Sarah were his parents. Also explains how Hannah fits in.

I noticed that the Thomas Salmoni who died in Detroit had a son named James D Salmoni who died in Detroit at the age of four in 1908. This record says that Thomas Salmoni was born in New York and that his wife Alice Spry was born in Indiana.

There is a birth of a Thomas John Salmoni on 15 September 1869 in Amhertsburg., Essex. Ontario. Parents are Mark John Salmoni, merchant, and Jane Skinner. Not the same Thomas we are looking for as the dates don't math, but I wanted to note this birth anyway for ref. Mark John Salmoni was born in Buffalo, USA, in 1836 according to his death record (1877) on Family Search.

This is the Salmoni family in 1861 - in Amhertsberg.

Mark Salmoni, Tavern keeper, born US, C of E, 25
Sarah J Salmoni, Tavern Keeper, born England, C of E, 52
Hannah Resdale, spinster, born England, C of E, 48
Margaret Salmoni, born US, C or E, 23
Mary Ann Salmoni, born WS, C or E, 19
George Salmoni, born WS, C of E, 17
Mary Ann Grant, servant, born WS, C of E, 20

I also found the following account on the history of Amhersburg.

Salmoni House
1849 by Thomas Salmoni (head of the Commissariat Department at Fort Malden in 1796) who's family was from England. Building originally a hotel and general store. The Salmoni family came to America for one of their sons to fight in a boxing match. He unfortunately lost the match and because the family had bet financially so heavily on him winning, they only had the money to come to Canada rather than return to England. It was here in Amhertsburg that Thomas restablished himself. Thomas gave the building to his son Mark and when Mark died, several proprietors took over the building as a dime store.

Shona
09-11-15, 17:55
Here is a better account of Salmoni Place.

Salmoni Place

Salmoni Building 1849, situated at the south-west intersection of Dalhousie and Richmond Streets. It is a three-storey brick building with a later cut-stone addition on the river (west) side. It stands on the town lot originally occupied by Thomas Reynolds in 1796. (Reynolds headed the Commissary Department first at Detroit then after the evacuation of that place at Amherstburg)

Thomas Salmoni was an Amherstburg merchant and hotel keeper. The Building he erected in 1849 served both as a hotel and a general store. A portion of the third floor was fitted up as a Masonic Lodge Room to accommodate the newly organized Thistle Lodge. Salmoni was a Mason himself. At the river, Salmoni built a dock and erected warehouses to accommodate his forwarding business on the Great Lakes. In 1849 there still remained the tower of a windmill which in 1838 was one of the designated "strong points" chosen by Col. John Prince as suitable for defence of the western frontier in the Patriot troubles. It was actually so-used to give shelter to the militiamen when the Schooner Ann was making its attack on the Amherstburg Waterfront.

There is an old Amherstburg tale to the effect that when Harriet Beecher Stowe was gathering material for her classic, "Uncle Tom's Cabin or Life Among the Lowly" she visited Amherstburg and interviewed various fugitives from slavery at the Salmoni House and incorporated their stories into her account. However, this may better be attributed to a later period after the publication of the book when she did visit the Detroit River area and was entertained as a celebrity by various members and supporters of the Canada Anti-Slavery Society whose Secretary (and actual manager) was Captain Charles Stuart fomerly an Amherstburg Magistrate. The abolition of Slavery remained an active public question until the outbreak of the Civil War.

The Salmoni Family were originally from England. An account attributes their coming to America as follows: One of the Salmoni Brothers became a noted boxer and after being a champion in his home land decided to challenge the American boxers so came to the States where a match was arranged. The purse was "winner take All" beside which many private wagers were made. The Salmonis bet heavily on the family representative and when the contest was held and Salmoni was defeated, they were left without funds to return to England, but did have sufficient to make their way to Canada to Montreal, Thomas Salmoni later re-establishing himself came to Amherstburg.

The Salmoni business came to an end with the sudden death of Mark Salmoni, son of Thomas who had succeeded to the business. Michael Twomey and Daniel Henly were later merchants in the premises. They were followed by Emanuel Berube and his nephew Mr. Bedard. The Ira S. Brown Company and Andrew Balla were later proprietors after which the general merchandise format was changed to the "dime store" category which still continues.

Shona
09-11-15, 17:57
Ah - found an obit for Mark Salmoni. He had three sons.

Mark J. Salmoni

Born: November 6, 1837
W.M.: 1862, 64, 67, 69
Died: Thursday, April 30, 1877

Obituary, Amherstburg Echo, May 5, 1877

Mark J. Salmoni, who died at London township on Thursday last, was formerly in business in this town, having carried on a general store in the corner of the block now occupied by Mr. Twomey, and having done a large wood business over the dock in rear thereof. He was unfortunate in business and failed in April, 1870, being then Deputy Reeve of the town. His father, Thomas Salmoni, built the Twomey block and for a long time carried on business there. After Mark’s failure, his wife, whom he married over a year before, purchased the store of Mrs. Campeau, then standing on Murray Street, which they carried on for some time. In the spring of 1874, his mind gave way under his troubles, and he was removed to London, where he remained till the time of his death. Having been a member in good standing of Thistle Lodge A.F. & A.M. , the Masonic fraternity took charge of the body, which was brought here by Chaplain Smith on Tuesday night, and on Wednesday afternoon the brethren attended the funeral in a body to the Presbyterian Church, where service was held by the Reverend Mr. Smith, and thence to the Cemetery. Deceased was favourite with all the vessel men with whom he did business but the principal part of his store business was conducted by Mr. Henry Mears. His wife and three boys survive him and reside with her sister, Mrs. Skinner, in this town. There was a paid-up policy on the life of deceased for $618, with Canada Life, and of this amount the widow will receive about $400 the balance securing a debt.

Shona
09-11-15, 18:07
Oooh - there are lots of Amhertsburg genealogy records in the Marsh Historical Collection:
http://marshcollection.org/genealogy/

Shona
09-11-15, 18:42

Mark J. Salmoni

Born: November 6, 1837
W.M.: 1862, 64, 67, 69
Died: Thursday, April 30, 1877

Obituary, Amherstburg Echo, May 5, 1877

Mark J. Salmoni, who died at London township on Thursday last, was formerly in business in this town, having carried on a general store in the corner of the block now occupied by Mr. Twomey, and having done a large wood business over the dock in rear thereof. He was unfortunate in business and failed in April, 1870, being then Deputy Reeve of the town. His father, Thomas Salmoni, built the Twomey block and for a long time carried on business there. After Mark’s failure, his wife, whom he married over a year before, purchased the store of Mrs. Campeau, then standing on Murray Street, which they carried on for some time. In the spring of 1874, his mind gave way under his troubles, and he was removed to London, where he remained till the time of his death. Having been a member in good standing of Thistle Lodge A.F. & A.M. , the Masonic fraternity took charge of the body, which was brought here by Chaplain Smith on Tuesday night, and on Wednesday afternoon the brethren attended the funeral in a body to the Presbyterian Church, where service was held by the Reverend Mr. Smith, and thence to the Cemetery. Deceased was favourite with all the vessel men with whom he did business but the principal part of his store business was conducted by Mr. Henry Mears. His wife and three boys survive him and reside with her sister, Mrs. Skinner, in this town. There was a paid-up policy on the life of deceased for $618, with Canada Life, and of this amount the widow will receive about $400 the balance securing a debt.

In the 1881 Canada census, the three Salmoni sons mentioned in the obit are with their widowed mother in the Skinner household.

Christiana Skinner, 72
Elizabeth Skinner, 42
Jane Salmoni, 38
Thomas Salmoni, 11
Charles Salmoni, 9
Mark Salmoni, 7

Just Gillian
09-11-15, 19:15
Thanks for all that Shona!

I've only just been able to "claim" the Thomas Salmoni married to Sarah Ridsdale. A Flickr album with photos of officers of Thistle Lodge (freemasons) had had a photo of him for ages with birthplace Oxford but, according to findings on google books, he had shipping dealings with the Oxford in Ontario. On the last night of a month's FMP sub last week, I put the Salmoni name into the newspapers section again and found a copy of Thomas Salmoni's Windsor Herald obit in the UK Oxford Chronicle and Reading Gazette confirming he was the brother of Mrs Pillinger and therefore the brother of OH's gt gt grandfather. I see the Flickr details have now also been updated with birth and death dates and places.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33535417@N05/4103900097

I knew Thomas and brother William had been in the US in the 1830s from Somerset RO papers relating to William's failure to maintain his family (he was a serial bigamist!). William went to the US in 1832 and had returned to the UK by 1841. William was a cabinet maker, abandoning his apprenticeship to go to the US. There is also another missing brother Mark who was listed as an army deserter in the Police Gazette of Nov 1838. Thomas didn't travel to the US with William, so perhaps the two brothers of the boxing tale were Mark and Thomas.

Shona
09-11-15, 19:26
Brilliant to have a photo, Gillian. I wonder if the archive in Canada has more info on the family.

Had a hoot chasing the family around the internet today - thanks!

Just Gillian
09-11-15, 19:29

Mark J. Salmoni

In the spring of 1874, his mind gave way under his troubles, and he was removed to London, where he remained till the time of his death.

There was a paid-up policy on the life of deceased for $618, with Canada Life, and of this amount the widow will receive about $400 the balance securing a debt.

He died of general paresis of the insane, caused by late-stage syphilis, duration 3 years.

His wife Jane Skinner died at the age of 55.

I loved the life insurance details - you wouldn't see that in an obit today!

I did wonder if he might have been the father of the Thomas W Salmoni in Michigan. The first son of his marriage to Jane Skinner was born in 1869.

Just Gillian
09-11-15, 20:12
Brilliant to have a photo, Gillian. I wonder if the archive in Canada has more info on the family.

Had a hoot chasing the family around the internet today - thanks!

Don't thank me!

Salmoni is a great name to search for on BMDs and census, even allowing for the creative spelling, but it's a nightmare doing a general google - you have to swim through shoals of fish results!

Great to have a photo of Thomas and those of his son and grandson are also on the site.

"Mark John Salmoni was born in Buffalo, USA, in 1836 according to his death record (1877) on Family Search."

"I noticed that the Thomas Salmoni who died in Detroit had a son named James D Salmoni who died in Detroit at the age of four in 1908. This record says that Thomas Salmoni was born in New York and that his wife Alice Spry was born in Indiana."

The 1892 birth reg of his son William T had Canada and Indiana as their places of birth. There is an alteration by affidavit in 1942 of child William T to William Thomas, father Wm T to Thomas Wm and parents places of birth from Canada and Indiana to Buffalo N.Y and Detroit Michigan. Don't understand that.

Loads of my Scots went to Ontario but I haven't looked at them for ages. Now that there is an even more impressive array of Canadian records free online I shall have to revisit them.

Shona
09-11-15, 22:00
Loads of my Scots went to Ontario but I haven't looked at them for ages. Now that there is an even more impressive array of Canadian records free online I shall have to revisit them.

Ditto with my Scots. My ggg-grandparents (and most of their children, but not my gg-gran) emigrated from Scotland to Canada between 1841 and 1851. Explained all the fruitless (and expensive!) Scotland's People searches!

Just Gillian
10-11-15, 07:53
Any Carricks or Moodies by any chance Shona?