PDA

View Full Version : Q for those of you who have paid for 1939 Register pages

Merry
06-11-15, 19:51
I've not paid for any pages yet, but am trying to organise the records I have found surrounding the ones which are made up of part of my grandparents family but with the wrong names (don't ask!!), so that I can try and buy the right document.

I just need to know how the data on the forms is organised. Is it one household to a page or as many as can be fitted in? Do households run across page breaks? What's the maximum number of individuals to a page? Anything else that might help me?!!

Tom Tom
06-11-15, 20:06
Have emailed you one of mine Merry.

Margaret in Burton
06-11-15, 20:07
As many as fit on the page. You get the neighbours too. If you family goes onto the next page then yes, you get that too.

Merry
06-11-15, 20:47
That's great, thank you Tom and Marg :)

Merry
07-11-15, 08:21
This morning when I click the preview button for an individual the next (Household) page no longer shows the Piece and Item numbers etc at the bottom. On some occasions if I look carefully it flashes up for a millisecond but then vanishes. Is that happening for others too?

JayG
07-11-15, 08:25
Same here Merry.

maggie_4_7
07-11-15, 08:26
Yes it is gone.

I think they've realised that you can work out who is in which household because the numbers run consecutively, which gives extra information without spending money.

Which is what I was doing on Wednesday.

Merry
07-11-15, 08:40
How annoying.

For once by luck I had actually finished collecting my data last night and was only checking something this morning. You would think they would have realised what people might do with the numbers before releasing the records really.

ElizabethHerts
07-11-15, 08:45
How sneaky and annoying! Luckily I have done my main family. The question now is whether I part with any money and view the records...

Merry
07-11-15, 08:58
I will probably be able to write a thesis on 1616A/006 by the time I've finished, but I don't think it's going to help me find my grandparents!

kiterunner
07-11-15, 09:06
That's annoying news, if they have done it on purpose rather than it being another glitch.

Margaret in Burton
07-11-15, 09:35
They expected people to just pay up I suppose. It would be interesting to know what percentage of previews viewed were actually unlocked.

Reading forums such as this would give them the knowledge of what people were doing.

It's crafty and sneaky but I bet it isn't a glitch.

kiterunner
07-11-15, 09:42
If the name you are searching for is an unusual one, or unusually mistranscribed, you should still be able to figure out who else is in the household by using the "name of other household member" fields in your search. Also I think sometimes the "household" name shown on the preview is different from the surname that you searched for, so you could use that. But otherwise, well, I'm glad I already did free searches for people in my tree.

Margaret in Burton
07-11-15, 09:47
I've just read on FTF that you can still work it out from the url

The 4 numbers and the one letter plus the 3 digit code for the person.

JayG
07-11-15, 09:47
I haven't checked as I'm on my phone but is the RG number shown in the url?

kiterunner
07-11-15, 10:05
I don't think you need the RG number, Jay; wouldn't it be RG101 for all of them?

If you want more info about the URL it is probably easiest to read through the Rootschat threads:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=734390.36

kiterunner
07-11-15, 10:07
I've just read on FTF that you can still work it out from the url
The 4 numbers and the one letter plus the 3 digit code for the person.

Isn't the 3 digit code for the page, Marg? Then there is a 2 digit code after that which I think is for the person.

Elderflower
07-11-15, 10:29
If you hover your mouse over the Preview button, the url will pop up and you can work out the middle numbers. A bit awkward until you get used to it. This is for my grandmother and I have highlighted in bold the parts you need to do the household search. I copied the actual url to show the positions of the numbers but you will see the same string just by hovering.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record/locked?id=tna%2fr39%2f7270%2f7270a%2f007%2f04

Pat

Merry
07-11-15, 16:43
Thanks Pat. As you say, a bit fiddly, but at least they won't be able to stop us looking at that!

kiterunner
07-11-15, 19:17
Some people have been saying that their free preview of a record shows the name of a second person in the same household. I am finding that if I search using the Microsoft Edge browser, it is not showing the name of the second person, but if I go on Firefox, it does. I think they are supposed to be working on it at the moment; hope it ends up showing the second person's name on all browsers! But I am quite surprised that you can get different info showing on different browsers; I can't remember ever coming across something like that before, only in cases where one of the browsers I was using was too out-of-date and so not compatible with whatever site it was. That wouldn't apply here.

ElizabethHerts
08-11-15, 13:32
If you hover your mouse over the Preview button, the url will pop up and you can work out the middle numbers. A bit awkward until you get used to it. This is for my grandmother and I have highlighted in bold the parts you need to do the household search. I copied the actual url to show the positions of the numbers but you will see the same string just by hovering.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record/locked?id=tna%2fr39%2f7270%2f7270a%2f007%2f04

Pat

That doesn't work for me. I just get "See a free preview of this record".

kiterunner
08-11-15, 13:47
That doesn't work for me. I just get "See a free preview of this record".

Look in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen, Elizabeth.

ElizabethHerts
08-11-15, 14:15
Look in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen, Elizabeth.

Is it this page type you are looking at, Kate:

1939 Register Transcription (Preview)

Purkis Household Guildford M.B., Surrey, England
First name(s) Last name(s) Birth year
Muriel M Purkis 1892
Dorothy V Pappin is also on this record
3 more people who are officially closed

Update the record
Unlock the full Purkis household

The most comprehensive record set ever released, only online at Findmypast.
Available in 1, 5 or 15 household bundles
Unlock this household

kiterunner
08-11-15, 14:21
No, Elizabeth, I mean look at the bottom left-hand corner of the screen when you are hovering your cursor over the Preview button as described by Elderflower.

ElizabethHerts
08-11-15, 14:24
Found it now, thanks. I didn't realise it was right at the bottom.

ElizabethHerts
08-11-15, 14:30
There are two redacted people under my grandmother's names, so probably my two aunts, and then one under my great-aunt's name, so probably one of her children.

Mary from Italy
18-11-15, 21:23
If you hover your mouse over the Preview button, the url will pop up and you can work out the middle numbers.

This doesn't seem to be working any more.

Some people have been saying that their free preview of a record shows the name of a second person in the same household. I am finding that if I search using the Microsoft Edge browser, it is not showing the name of the second person, but if I go on Firefox, it does.

This is still working for me, using Firefox.

kiterunner
18-11-15, 22:12
Yes, it seems that FMP have decided to remove the reference numbers from the URL and to give the name of a second household member in the free preview, though apparently some people are still not seeing this second name.