PDA

View Full Version : Scottish National Probate Calendar 1876-1936 - ancestry

kiterunner
28-10-15, 18:58
This isn't coming up in their list of Recently Added and Updated Databases (yet) for some reason, but luckily I spotted it on their Facebook page:
Scottish National Probate Calendar 1876-1936 (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=60558)

The official name is Calendar of Confirmations and Inventories.

The format of entries is just like the National Probate Calendar for England and Wales - but with the word "confirmation" instead of "probate". It will often have more information than you get from a free search of Wills and Inventories on Scotland's People.

If the confirmation date is in or before 1925, you should be able to find a copy of the will and / or inventory on Scotland's People, but I'm not sure how you get a copy for post-1925 wills.

kiterunner
28-10-15, 19:14
I have been wishing this was available online for ages. Very excited! I hope they can put the Scottish BMD indexes online too - Scotland's People has such a stranglehold at the moment.

annswabey
28-10-15, 19:43
This is great, Kite - thanks

kiterunner
28-10-15, 22:00
Just wanted to add that it does include some people who died before 1876. Also don't forget that married women / widows may be listed under their maiden name.

James18
28-10-15, 23:54
Thanks a lot, Kate. I managed to find a probate entry for one of the people on my Hendry tree so far. :)

And yes, Scottish BMDs on Ancestry would be amazing.

Phoenix
29-10-15, 17:37
Just realised it has date of will on there. Much more info than English Probate :)