PDA

View Full Version : Is Findmypast First broken?

kiterunner
28-10-15, 14:55
I'm having one of those days where I want to hurl my laptop out of the window! But skipping over a few issues, when I finally managed to get Facebook to load, I read that Findmypast answer all their emails. This reminded me that I contacted them a while back about the offer on Findmypast First of a free year's membership of "Lives of the First World War", as I hadn't had a code although I am a "Findmypast First" member (by having an annual sub to FMP.) I never heard back, and I thought I should email them again as my FMP sub runs out in two weeks. I wanted to check what exactly it says on "Findmypast First" so I could quote the wording in my email, but every time I try to load the page, I see it all on my screen for a split second and then it is as though a blank sheet covers it all up. Is this happening to others, or just me? I have tried it when logged in, when logged out, on different browsers... it doesn't do any good.

Janet
28-10-15, 15:46
I have the blank sheet too, Kite. The typesetter in me thinks some hapless programmer has inadvertently set white type on a white background.

I did a "Select all" on the page and pasted the text into a Word document. What I see about Lives of the First World War is:

Lives of the First World War access

We are delighted to offer all Findmypast First subscribers 12 months access to IWM's Lives of the First World War.
DETAILS HERE

There must be a link under "DETAILS HERE" but... Oooooh, I've just discovered that once the text is selected, you can then scroll down the page and see the text including the link to click. After that, hit the x at the top right of the blank sheet to close the pop-up and if yours is like mine you'll find yourself on the "Claim your free access to Lives of the First World War today" page.

kiterunner
28-10-15, 15:58
Thanks, Janet. It worked! I've filled in my details and submitted; not sure whether I have to wait 7 days or 21 as it says both on the page, but if I haven't got the code in 7 days I'm going to email them, rather than leave it till after my sub has expired.

Janet
28-10-15, 16:36
Yay! :)

James18
29-10-15, 10:29
What records are covered by the Lives of the First World War set? I have found numerous minor documents for some of my Eighteen relatives on Ancestry, but would be keen to know more about certain people should that be possible. I am particularly keen to trace my grandfather's Army career during the interwar years, and especially which regiments he served in, and where.

What would be the best way of doing this?

kiterunner
29-10-15, 10:40
It doesn't have any records which aren't available elsewhere, James, but if you have a sub you can connect records together to make a so-called "life story". The databases that you have to pay to view are just the same ones that are available on Findmypast.

This is the list of their databases:
https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/ww1-records#azrecordsets

I wouldn't personally recommend spending money on subscribing.

If your grandfather was an officer in the Army then you should be able to trace his career through the London Gazette archive, which is free online. If not an officer, then you may need to order a copy of his army records from the M o D.

James18
29-10-15, 10:45
It doesn't have any records which aren't available elsewhere, James, but if you have a sub you can connect records together to make a so-called "life story". The databases that you have to pay to view are just the same ones that are available on Findmypast.

This is the list of their databases:
https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/ww1-records#azrecordsets

I wouldn't personally recommend spending money on subscribing.

If your grandfather was an officer in the Army then you should be able to trace his career through the London Gazette archive, which is free online. If not an officer, then you may need to order a copy of his army records from the M o D.
I had absolutely no idea that was even possible. Have you done this before? What sort of charge would there be?

I'd certainly be keen to do that, assuming his records still survive. I know a lot of pre-WW2 records were destroyed during the Blitz.

Mary from Italy
29-10-15, 10:53
Here you go:

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/overview

James18
29-10-15, 11:02
Thanks Mary.

I'll contact the MoD, then. AFAIK my grandfather joined up in 1919, so hopefully I can get most of his post-1920 stuff.

Glen TK
01-11-15, 22:25
FMP has been down again today and a lot of complaints that trees have vanished.

kiterunner
01-11-15, 22:42
Thanks, Glen, but I was only asking about the "Findmypast First" page on this thread.

Glen TK
01-11-15, 22:44
It's been a sitewide issue, probably with the upcoming thingy they are unleashing tomorrow.

kiterunner
01-11-15, 22:49
Yes, but the problem I was asking about was just that blank popup they have put over the Findmypast First page. If anyone else is baffled by it, you just have to click the "X" in top right hand corner to get rid of it.