PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else had this?

JBee
24-10-15, 15:15
A Peter Mitchell from Leith in 1876 drowned when his ship SS Calcium sank off the Farne Islands then I found his son yesterday who was b1865 in Leith had also drowned in the North Sea near Middlesborough in 1919 when his ship SS Northumbria was hit by mines and sank.

I'd lost the son James since 1881 when I had a possible cabin boy in Tynemouth but not confirmed. I knew it was the right person as he was on the CWGC site with correct parents and a wife Mary?. Where he was living wasn't given so had to look for his death certificate which wasn't in the English deaths. Luckily I finally found it on Scotlandspeople under Marine deaths.

Anyway else had a father and son dying virtually in the same place from the same condition so many years apart?

Shona
24-10-15, 16:49
I've come across it in fishing communities, Julie. They tended to sail the same routes and fish the same grounds, so if there was an accident with loss of life, it was in places where previous generations had sailed.

My grandfather had two cousins - brothers - who were killed side by side on the same day in the First World War.

Olde Crone
24-10-15, 17:43
I have had three generations of men, all from the same family "kicked to death by a horse". (On the family farm, I assume). Two of them had the same name.

OC

JBee
24-10-15, 21:21
That's definitely unusual

Olde Crone
24-10-15, 21:56
I didn't believe it at first and thought my contact had got confused because of the same names, but he had two death certs and a third entry in the burial register.

OC