PDA

View Full Version : Genealogy In Time - best websites

JBee
23-10-15, 09:04
www.genealogyintime.com

http://www.genealogyintime.com/articles/top-100-genealogy-websites-of-2015-page02.html

kiterunner
23-10-15, 09:07
I take it that their acronym "git" doesn't mean the same in the US as it does over here!

JBee
23-10-15, 09:49
They've probably never heard of the term or its connatations.

Kit
23-10-15, 12:40
Given they aren't abbreviating it someone may know what a git is.

kiterunner
23-10-15, 12:57
Given they aren't abbreviating it someone may know what a git is.

It says "Git Magazine" on their webpage!!

Janet
23-10-15, 23:37
Not a clue!!! :d:d:d

I asked OH had he ever heard it, he said: Nope, not unless you mean like "Git over here!" :D

I actually had to go look it up. Hope this covers it, or am I still missing something? :o
wordnik (https://www.wordnik.com/words/git)

Merry
24-10-15, 09:13
Janet - re the link you posted - I feel they are wrong to say git is a variant of get in British slang. That's just a pronunciation issue with certain regional accents, so you would still write "get over here" not "git over here".

However, this "A silly, incompetent, stupid, annoying, or childish person." is definitely right. Definitely not a word for polite society!! Most people who use the word would prefix it with the word stupid - "you stupid git".

That's just the sort of thing that makes me laugh!!

Olde Crone
24-10-15, 09:57
Isn't "git" a contraction of illeGITimate? Not a polite word in the UK.

OC

Kit
24-10-15, 10:17

oops I missed that. ;(:o

Mary from Italy
24-10-15, 12:35
The same thing happened in Italy years ago; there was a big tourism exhibition at the Exhibition Centre in Milan which was called Giornate Internazionali del Turismo, and there were huge GIT posters and banners up all over Milan. I told the PR people, and if I remember rightly the name was changed the next year. It's now the Borsa Internazionale del Turismo (BIT).

That boob was easily beaten a few years ago by Italian power company Powergen. Someone had the brilliant idea of calling their website powergenitalia.com.

kiterunner
24-10-15, 12:53
That boob was easily beaten a few years ago by Italian power company Powergen. Someone had the brilliant idea of calling their website powergenitalia.com.

Yes, I remember hearing about that one, Mary.

Janet
24-10-15, 14:24
Choked on my morning coffee! :d:d:d

Olde Crone
24-10-15, 17:49
Mary

HAAAAAA!

OC