PDA

View Full Version : John Smith

marquette
17-10-15, 21:19
This must be my vaguest one so far. Usually I don't post 6ggs unless I know a bit about them

John Smith born about 1720 or so.

Presume he was born in and lived in (Great) Yarmouth Norfolk, but I can't be sure.

Only know about him as his son was known as John Smith the Younger, and the son was a butcher in Great Yarmouth.

kiterunner
19-10-15, 11:07
"The younger" didn't always mean that the parent's name was the same, as it was occasionally used to distinguish between two people of the same name who weren't father and son / mother and daughter, for instance they could be uncle and nephew, or grandfather and grandson.

kiterunner
19-10-15, 11:35
I don't think you have done a TT5G thread for John Smith jr, but going by your TO4G threads for Mary Smith, John Smith jr was married to an Ann and their daughter Mary was baptised in 1773 at Great Yarmouth St Nicholas. Searching through the baptisms for that parish, there are a few other children whose parents are John and Ann(e) Smith but without the "junior" part. Anyway, one of them is Anne Meek Smith baptised 8 Sep 1769, and there is a marriage on FreeREG 10 Feb 1767 at Ludham, Norfolk: John Smith, bachelor, of Great Yarmouth, and Ann Meek, spinster, by licence, witnesses Jno Smith senior and Thos Marston. So that looks worth looking into!

marquette
20-10-15, 11:05
Thanks Kite, I will look into it.
You're right I did not do John Smith the Younger in the 5ggs, I felt I did not know enough about him, either.
The Ann Meek marriage seems a better prospect than the one to Ann Brown, widow, about the same time.

I dont even know now, why I know he is John Smith the younger (freeREG records maybe), or how I know he is a butcher, I should be better at recording my sources !

kiterunner
20-10-15, 11:41
His name is down as John Smith junior on Mary's baptism.

marquette
22-10-15, 19:39
and as "given name not stated" Smith, butcher, on her 1865 death certificate !

Her birthplace is not given accurately, though everything else is, so I am inclined to believe that her father's details are reasonably correct.