PDA

View Full Version : John Smith

Sussex Maid
16-10-15, 15:29
Name – John Smith
Date and place of birth – not known
Names of parents – not known
Date and place of baptism – not known
Details of each of his or her marriages - 23 Sep 1717 St Margaret, Chipstead, Surrey – ‘John Smith of Burstow and Amy Saunders of Charlwood’ (marriage also recorded in the parish register of St Bartholomew Burstow)
Occupation(s) - yeoman
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) – Burstow, Surrey
Date, place and cause of death – 12 Nov 1729, Burstow, Surrey
Date and place of burial – 16 Nov 1729, St Bartholomew, Burstow, Surrey
Details of will / administration of their estate – Made 11 Nov 1729, proved 2 Dec 1730; bequests to children, wife Amy and eldest son Thomas named as Executors, Trustees for his children until they become 21 – Mr Thomas Sanders of Charlwood yeoman and Mr Henry Shove of Nutfield yeoman, Will signed by both John Smith and Amy Smith
Memorial inscription - Here lieth ye bodies of JOHN SMITH and of AMY his wife"; "The one died November ye 12th 1729 aged 36"; "The other on March ye 24th 1736 aged 37"

kiterunner
19-10-15, 11:01
There is a PCC will of Richard Smith of Burstow, Surry, yeoman, written 7 Jun 1705 and proved 13 Jul 1705, which mentions his eldest son John Smith who was not yet 21 at the time, (also mentions Richard's wife Mary and several other children). Have you already ruled them out?

Sussex Maid
19-10-15, 21:41
KiteRunner
Thank you, I hadn't seen that will for Richard Smith - must admit I haven't looked at this line for a while but I do remember being sidetracked by the Chipstead marriage and researching a Smith family there, which proved to be wrong. Will get the file out..
Thank you again
Regards