PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry issue?

Merry
09-10-15, 13:01
Is this happening to everyone? It's been a problem for me for about a week......

Probably easiest if I give an example:

I have the 'match all term exactly' box ticked.

Search for Harold Gabriel Pike, hit Enter.

In the census section there's only one match (1911). If I click it, the next screen doesn't show his middle name. If I hover over View Record his middle name shows, but it I click View Record it only shows in the clickable links at the bottom.

Going back to the start, if I search for Harold Pike, the 1911 census shows 79 entries. If I look at the entry for Harold Gabriel Pike his middle name shows on both versions of View Record.

Whilst this isn't the end of the world, there are times when it's confusing as I have to double check whether I originally searched with or without the middle name, depending on the nature of the results it isn't always obvious (and I much prefer obvious! :mad:).

So, is it the same for you?

kiterunner
09-10-15, 13:16
I have certainly noticed middle names not being shown on the results list in the last couple of days. But I don't know whether it would work o.k. if I switched to the "new ancestry". Are you on the new one or the old one, Merry?

Merry
09-10-15, 14:35
Erm, I think I'm on the old one - at least, I've not changed anything in the last few months. I don't remember seeing anything about a change?

Rick
09-10-15, 15:04
Erm, I think I'm on the old one - at least, I've not changed anything in the last few months. I don't remember seeing anything about a change?

I thought they were bombarding people who were still on the "Old" with annoying pop-ups to get them to switch. You would know if you were on "New" because of the grey banner at the top of each person's profile page.

The missing middle name problem is on "New" as well. Their techs know about the problem and have done for several days.

Merry
09-10-15, 15:27
Thanks Rick. So I am on the new version (without doing anything!). I remember those grey banners appearing a few days ago whilst I was in the middle of doing lookups! Not much else seems to have changed.

I note that if I search Archibald Smith and there are records for Frederick Archibald Smith or William Archibald Smith etc the initial results list will only show the names you typed, so they all look like Archibald Smith until you hover only to discover in some cases Archibald is the middle name.

Surely they can't mean it to be like this?!!! ;(

Merry
09-10-15, 15:28
Tell the techs to hurry! lol

Rick
09-10-15, 15:52
Thanks Rick. So I am on the new version (without doing anything!). I remember those grey banners appearing a few days ago whilst I was in the middle of doing lookups! Not much else seems to have changed.

I note that if I search Archibald Smith and there are records for Frederick Archibald Smith or William Archibald Smith etc the initial results list will only show the names you typed, so they all look like Archibald Smith until you hover only to discover in some cases Archibald is the middle name.

Surely they can't mean it to be like this?!!! ;(

I've been on the new version for a couple of months and I like how the facts and sources are all together now. It was very flaky when it was first introduced - features missing and not working properly - but they have fixed most things. Lots of people still hate Lifestory, but if you work from the Facts page it really isn't that different.

The missing middle name thing is just a bug and no, they didn't mean it !! I'm sure they will correct it soon.

Merry
09-10-15, 17:09
I use ancestry every day, but I very rarely look at trees and don't have my tree on there, so I had to go and see what Lifestory is!

Rick
09-10-15, 17:57
I use ancestry every day, but I very rarely look at trees and don't have my tree on there, so I had to go and see what Lifestory is!

Aha - that will be why you didn't notice being switched then. :)

KiwiChris
09-10-15, 19:02
I thought it was just me when the middle names vanished a few days ago. Good to know it should be fixed as it is a real pain when looing for a common name with a reasonably less common middle name, although to be fair, it is generally the one at the top.

I must check if I am on old or new, I was using the old old version, hated the last new one.

Merry
12-10-15, 13:19

Lifestory is ghastly!! (IMHO)