PDA

View Full Version : HENDRY / HENRY family of Antrim & Lanark

James18
08-10-15, 12:47
As the next part of my family tree, I am researching the HENDRY (also HENRY) family of Ballymena, Antrim and later Glasgow, Lanarkshire.

My maternal great-grandmother was Elizabeth HENDRY, who was born in Ballymena on 14/11/1882. Her parents were Annie BROWN and Samuel HENDRY, and we believe she was among the eldest of eight children -- four girls and four boys; Elizabeth, Jean, Margaret (Meg), Annie, Samuel, John, Roger & James (Jim).

Elizabeth's birth details:

Registration Number: U/1882/23/1004/13/431

Forename of child: Elizabeth

Surname of child: Henry

Date of birth: 14th November 1882

Sex of child: Female

Mother's maiden name: Brown

Registration district: Ballymena (pre-1973 Q4)

She married Andrew WYLIE on 11/07/1905 in Glasgow and died on 19/11/1973 in Edinburgh, age 91.

Her father, Samuel HENDRY, was born c1856 Ireland (?) as I have his death certificate for 10/11/1940, Cartcart Road, Glasgow, age 84. The informant was Margaret HENDRY, his daughter. She was known as Aunt Meg and as far as we know she never married. Sam was a railway wagon builder/repairer, and his father (also Samuel) had been a farmer in Ireland.

Her mother was Annie BROWN, who died in Glasgow on 06/01/1928, age 69. Thus, she will have been born c1859, and likely in Ireland. The Hendrys, Wylies and Browns all appear to be of Irish origin.

Sam & Annie were married on 01/02/1880 in Ballymena, Antrim. This information is given on Jim's birth certificate, although there is a record elsewhere (FamilySearch?) stating 31/01/1880.

I'm not sure about the order the other children were born in, but I think Sam was the eldest and Jim was likely one of the youngest; he was born in Glasgow on 03/02/1893, and so at some point during the 1880s the family appear to have moved from Antrim to Glasgow.

There is a 01/01/1881 birth record on Family Search (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FR7L-55P) for what appears to be the younger Sam, son of Sam and Annie, in Ahoghill, Antrim. Presumably he was the eldest child.

When viewing Irish records, some of the older family members have the surname HENRY rather than HENDRY, so that could well be the original name, and the D was added at some point. Jim certainly has the D on his birth certificate and the indexing of his death record, which I believe was in 1966 in Largs, Ayrshire. Sadly there is no certificate available to view on ScotlandsPeople and so I don't know for sure if it is him. However, the name and age are correct and it is highly likely he died in Scotland.

Also, we believe Jim married and had children (Raymond, Gordon & Eileen) but I can find no certificate of marriage for him in Scotland, and so if he did marry then it was likely in Ireland, which makes things tricky.

Sam Hendry, one of the eight children, was involved with the Glasgow Public Health Department and there is at least one newspaper article (https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=19301219&id=M-k-AAAAIBAJ&sjid=NE0MAAAAIBAJ&pg=5562,2856517) making reference to this. He married Minnie Scott LAMBIE on 12/06/1908 in Larkhall, Lanarkshire. I have no idea what happened to him after this or when he died, although I believe he may have had a son named Sam who was (at some point) a doctor in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Would anyone be interested in helping me put together a family tree for the HENDRY family? I have plenty of information written down by other relatives, but it's from some years ago and I am unsure of dates and exact relationships. However, as far as I know the names of the eight children provided above are correct. However, as some were born in Ireland and others Scotland, it can be tricky finding records.

If anyone is interested in helping me with this challenge then I'd be hugely grateful, as I know some of you like getting stuck into these things. I have plenty of names and I believe most of the events took place in either Antrim or Scotland, so it's just a case of putting the pieces together. I am only interested in Sam & Annie, their parents, and their (Sam & Annie's) descendants, and so there shouldn't be an issue with church parish records as we won't need to go back that far in general. I know the names and professions of Sam & Annie's parents from their death certificates anyway.

Thank you!

kiterunner
08-10-15, 14:23
You say that you know the names of Sam and Annie's parents from their death certificates, so what were their names, please?

James18
08-10-15, 14:44
Annie Hendry m.s. Brown

Father: John Brown, handloom weaver (deceased)
Mother: Elizabeth Brown m.s. Major (deceased)

Samuel Hendry

Father: Samuel Hendry, farmer (deceased)
Mother: Mary-Jane Gael Hendry m.s. Heslison (deceased) (?)

I've uploaded the image for you here (https://i.imgur.com/3YEtG50.jpg), as I am not 100% sure about the middle and maiden names.

Hope it helps.

Shona
08-10-15, 14:50
Mary Jane's maiden surname is likely to be Herbison - which I have come across in both Scottish and Irish research.

Do any of the Scottish marriage records you have looked at give religion? Ballymena is largely Protestant.

James18
08-10-15, 14:57
Well, I do know that the Wylie family (into which Elizabeth Hendry married) were Plymouth Brethren, which they are indeed listed as on the 1901 (http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Crumlin/Skerry_East/929825/) and 1911 (http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Clogh/Killyree/119887/) census records.

It is very likely that the Hendry family were Protestant, though I am unsure of their denomination. My great-grandfather Andrew Wylie was an extremely puritanical, almost militant member of the Brethren and he would never have married someone from a Catholic family.

kiterunner
08-10-15, 15:35
Mary-Jane's middle name looks like Jack to me.

kiterunner
08-10-15, 15:46
The Irish Civil Registration indexes (only up to certain dates) are available to search on various sites and looking on ancestry, I see there is a possible Samuel Henry / Mary Jane Jack marriage in 1856 in Ballymena district, vol 2 p 157. (We can't be sure just from the index that these two married each other, as there were several marriages on the same page.)

Shona
08-10-15, 15:50
SNAP, Kate.

Family Search has the birth of a Samuel Henry in Galgorm (just outside Ballymena and v
close to Ahoghill), son of Samuel Henry and Mary Jane Jack.

I thought the same as you that the Gael was Jack.

Given the name Herbison, I wonder if this was a second marriage?

EDIT: That should be the birth of JOHN.

kiterunner
08-10-15, 15:52
Ah, FamilySearch lists the marriage (in their "Ireland Marriages"): Samuel Henry, age 27, son of John Henry, married Mary Jane Jack, age 21, daughter of Thomas Jack, 23 May 1856, Ballymena, Antrim, Ireland. They also list the birth of a John Henry, son of Samuel Henry and Mary Jane Jack, 27 Dec 1864 at Galgorm, Antrim, Ireland.

So I wonder where the name Herbison fits in? It certainly seems to be a common name in Ballymena.

kiterunner
08-10-15, 15:55
Family Search has the birth of a Samuel Henry in Galgorm (just outside Ballymena and v
close to Ahoghill), son of Samuel Henry and Mary Jane Jack.

What date does it give, please, Shona? I can't find that one, only John in 1864.

Shona
08-10-15, 15:56
Snap, Kate.

I thought it was Jack as well.

On FS, there is the birth of John Henry on 27 December 1864 to Samuel Henry and Mary Jane Jack. Place of birth is Galgorm, which is just outside Ballymena and v close to Ahoghill.

Shona
08-10-15, 15:57
What date does it give, please, Shona? I can't find that one, only John in 1864.

Yes, it was John. Wrote down the wrong thing and you got in before I corrected my error. :o

kiterunner
08-10-15, 15:59
Oh, right.

James18
08-10-15, 16:11
re FS, don't forget:

There is a 01/01/1881 birth record on Family Search for what appears to be the younger Sam, son of Sam and Annie, in Ahoghill, Antrim. Presumably he was the eldest child.

kiterunner
08-10-15, 16:30
The Samuel Henry / Mary Jane Jack marriage is on the Ulster Historical Foundation website but you have to pay to view it:
http://www.ancestryireland.com/search-irish-genealogy-databases/

James18
08-10-15, 16:34
The Samuel Henry / Mary Jane Jack marriage is on the Ulster Historical Foundation website but you have to pay to view it:
http://www.ancestryireland.com/search-irish-genealogy-databases/
I suppose that could be the information that's also in your post #9?

kiterunner
08-10-15, 16:40
Yes, it will be that same marriage, but the transcription on the UHF website may or may not give extra information, such as occupations, places of residence, names of witnesses.

kiterunner
08-10-15, 16:41
But sorry, just realised the actual certificate may be available on the NI GRO site - back in a minute...

kiterunner
08-10-15, 16:50
Yes, here is the link to the GRONI website:
https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

It looks as though the marriage cert is available on there.

James18
08-10-15, 16:57
Looks like I need to buy some more credits. I have been using GRONI, but it was free to view listings, then you pay credits to view more specific information. But apparently when you use your last credit, you can't view listings?

EDIT: Bought 5 credits.

James18
08-10-15, 17:02
Yes, here is the link to the GRONI website:
https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

It looks as though the marriage cert is available on there.
Yes, it's there. 23/05/1856. Samuel Henry and Mary Jane Jack, Ballymena.

kiterunner
08-10-15, 17:12
Going back to Sam and Annie and their eight children, ancestry has a transcription of their 1901 Scottish census entry (it will also be on Findmypast) though you would have to view the image on Scotland's People to check its accuracy. According to ancestry, they are in Glasgow:
Samuel Hendry 42 born Co Antrim, Ireland
Annie Hendry 42 born Co Antrim, Ireland
Samuel Hendry 20 Co Antrim, Ireland
Lizzie Hendry 18 Co Antrim, Ireland
John Hendry 16 born Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Rodger Hendry 13 Co Antrim, Ireland
Jeannie Hendry 11 Glasgow, Lanarkshire
James Hendry 8 Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Annie Hendry 5 Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Maggie Hendry 3 Glasgow, Lanarkshire.

So this gives you the correct birth order (assuming ancestry got the ages right!)

But the 1911 Scottish census is only available on Scotland's People at the moment.

James18
08-10-15, 17:17
That looks about right, great stuff. I'll get some more credits (been meaning to anyway) and check it out.

Also, I found this on GRONI by searching for Henry and Brown as parents' surnames:

Registration Number: U/1887/23/1004/15/482

Forename of child: Rodger

Surname of child: Henry

Date of birth: 31st May 1887

Sex of child: Male

Mother's maiden name: Brown

Registration district: Ballymena (pre-1973 Q4)

And, going by the spelling used on your census info, looks about right.

kiterunner
08-10-15, 17:20
And from ancestry's transcription of the 1891 Scottish census entry (also in Glasgow):
Samuel Henry 33 born Ireland
Annie Henry 31 Ireland
Samuel Henry 10 Ireland
Elizabeth Henry 8 Ireland
John R B Henry 6
Rodger Henry 3 Ireland
Jennie Henry 1 Glasgow
James Brown, boarder, 24, born Ireland (perhaps related to Annie?)
Robert Jas Adger, boarder, 19, born Ireland. (I expect they have mistranscribed his surname)

James18
08-10-15, 17:26
Interesting, and a good find. So presumably they emigrated in about 1890.

kiterunner
08-10-15, 17:31
Looking at the Brown family, FamilySearch lists the marriage of a John Robinson Brown, son of Timothy Brown, and Jane Elizabeth Major, daughter of John Major, 3 Jun 1850, but it doesn't give an exact location - it says "Civil Marriage Records, , Misc, Ireland". But it comes up as Ballymena in the Irish Civil Registration Marriage Index, so looks very hopeful!

James18
08-10-15, 17:34
Yeah, that certainly looks good. Elizabeth Major and John Brown.

kiterunner
08-10-15, 18:06
FamilySearch has these, taken from the Irish civil registration records:
William Brown born 25 Jul 1864 Galgorm, Antrim, Ireland, parents John Robinson Brown and Elizabeth Major
James Brown born 12 Jun 1866 Galgorm, Antrim, Ireland, parents John Robinson Brown and Elizabeth Major
Brown born 12 Apr 1869 Galgorm, Antrim, Ireland, parents John Brown and Eliza Major
Eliza Brown born 5 Jan 1872 Galgorm, Antrim, Ireland, parents John Brown and Eliza Major

James's date of birth fits with the James on the 1891 census.

James18
08-10-15, 18:20
Any ideas when Sam Hendry or Annie Brown were born? I have death certificates for them, and rough dates of birth, but have not yet found birth indexes. They're not on GRONI because they were both born pre-1865.

kiterunner
08-10-15, 19:20
Going by the 1891 census, Samuel was born about 1857 and Annie about 1859. But their baptism records may not have survived as a lot of the Irish parish registers were destroyed. I can't see them on the Ulster Historical Foundation website or FamilySearch.

James18
08-10-15, 19:36
I'm having trouble finding the Scottish-born children on Scotlands People. :(

I've downloaded the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census records, though.

James18
08-10-15, 19:55
Annie Hendry was born on Christmas Day 1895 in Glasgow. I'm looking at her birth certificate now, which I got from SP.

So, that's five we have birth dates for now: Samuel, Elizabeth, Rodger, James and Annie.

John, Jeannie and Maggie left.

Also, John is down as John R.B. on the 1891 census, but just John on the 1901 and 1911 censuses -- I wonder if he was John Robinson Brown Hendry?

kiterunner
08-10-15, 22:19
SP has the birth of John Robertson Henery in 1885 in Dennistoun, Lanarkshire.

And a Jane Hendry birth in Dennistoun in 1890.

And a Margaret Hendry birth in Dennistoun in 1898, but also a Margaret Henry one in the same place and the same year.

James18
08-10-15, 23:18
The John Robinson one is probably right. His maternal grandfather would have been John Robinson Brown, so I suspect the John R.B. in the 1891 census is John Robinson Brown, and of course his surname would be Hendry.

No idea about Jeannie and Maggie. No luck so far, and I'm down to 3 credits.

James18
08-10-15, 23:45
Yes, that's him. March 19th, 1885.

btw Margaret Robert Hendry 1898 Dennistoun is not her.

James18
09-10-15, 00:24
Margaret Henry, March 10th 1898. That's her.

James18
09-10-15, 10:54
So, just Jeannie left then. I suppose she could be the other Jane...

For Jim, his children were Raymond, Gordon and Eileen. All dead now; Raymond died in 2013 and Gordon many years ago. Jim (if it's him) has a death index for 1966.

Not sure about any of the other siblings aside from Elizabeth: 19/11/73.

I can try to fill in the rest of the family tree as it will likely deal with living persons, but I'd appreciate some help for the siblings (marriages, deaths); for example, the story in our family is that Jim married a Minnie and ran the Queen's Park Hotel in Glasgow, as well as Jim being a homeopathic doctor.

However, whereas I can find a marriage certificate for a Samuel Hendry (the brother) and a Minnie Scott Lambit, I can't find anything for a marriage between a James Hendry and a Minnie... so perhaps they married in Ireland? No idea.

Of course, someone could be mistaken...

Thoughts?

James18
09-10-15, 11:39
Samuel Henry, December 14th 1940 in Newtown Mearns, Renfrew. That's the brother, and it even mentions him being superintendent of the local port authority.

Roger Brown Hendry, February 21st 1956 in Cathcart, Glasgow.

kiterunner
09-10-15, 11:59
So, just Jeannie left then. I suppose she could be the other Jane...

I only saw one Jane birth reg; was that not her? (Jane Hendry, Dennistoun, 1890)

James18
09-10-15, 12:05
There's a Mary Jane Hendry 1890 Dennistoun... I don't see a Jane.

There's a Jane Hendry 1890 Maryhill, and a Jane Hendry 1889 Gorbals.

kiterunner
09-10-15, 12:26
I searched for:
Statutory Births 1855-2004
Hendry - exact surnames only
Jane - exact forenames only
Year range - 1890 to 1890
County - Lanark
District - Dennistoun
and got 1 match. Is it treating Jane as an exact match for Mary Jane? I didn't realise it would do that.

James18
09-10-15, 12:28
Probably, but I'll check with your criteria.

Also, be careful with using Hendry specifically... some of these are under Henry, and one was using Henery, so unfortunately it's not as clear-cut as we'd like.

kiterunner
09-10-15, 12:40
I originally searched for Hen*ry using a wildcard, and then narrowed it down by trying each of the variants as exact once I had a number of matches.

James18
09-10-15, 13:15
If you could find a marriage record for James Brown Hendry then I'd be most grateful, as I am really stumped on this. Possibly a Minnie or Marion.

There is a marriage record for a James Brown Hendry in 1965, but he died in 1966 -- unless he married a second time, which I doubt, or it's just a different guy.

I think our Jim Hendry was 1893 - 1966.

kiterunner
09-10-15, 13:27
Dr James Brown Hendry's gravestone comes up on Billion Graves website but it keeps asking me to register or log in so I will leave it to you to look at it. Anyway, it shows his wife as Minnie Rea 1893-1985.
http://billiongraves.com/pages/record/James-Brown-Hendry/11229352#given_names=James&family_names=Hendry

James18
09-10-15, 13:34
Well ****** me, I saw a 'Rea' on GRONI. Well done you, Kate!

We know when he married, then.

Registration details
Registration number
M/1923/A1/44/16/134
Registration district
Ards
Place of marriage
Ards Registrars Office
Date of marriage
25th January 1923
Groom details
Forename 1 of groom
James
Surname of groom
Hendry
Age condition at marriage of groom
Full
Bride details
Forename 1 of bride
Minnie
Surname of bride
Rea
Age condition at marriage of bride
Full

And her death:

1985 HENDRY SARAH MINNIE Not Permissible REA F 91 CARLUKE /SOUTH LANARKSHIRE 581/00 0006

kiterunner
09-10-15, 13:35
Hmm, the nearest marriage I can find on Scotland's People is a James Henry / Eileen Rea marriage in 1937 in Lanarkshire. I can't find a likely marriage on Irish Genealogy.

Edit - sorry, I didn't see your reply. It will be the one on GRONI, I expect.

James18
09-10-15, 13:40
There were two Aunt Minnies, then. That explains the confusion.

Sam Hendry & Minnie Lambie married in Scotland, and his brother Jim married a Minnie Rea in N. Ireland.

Appreciate the Find a Graves clue -- that confirmed the Rea link. :)

James18
09-10-15, 14:07
So:

Jeannie?
Meg? - we have a d.o.b. for Margaret, but no death; we don't think she ever married, so she'd have died a Hendry.

Found these, but sadly no scans to view:

1990 HENDRY MARGARET Not Permissible F 92 OLD CUMNOCK /EAST AYRSHIRE 682/00 0039

&

1965 HENDRY MABEL MARGARET Not Permissible F 68 GLASGOW GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/09 0846

The others all have various middle & maiden names, so I doubt they'd be her.

The 1990 death matches up with her d.o.b. (March 1898) but I had no idea she lived that long. I'll see if I can make some phone calls to relatives who may know.

I tried searching for an Annie [surname] with maiden name Hendry, which gave two results I checked the scans for -- neither is our Annie.

The information I have is that she married a chemist (name unknown) and died with the first baby, so presumably in labour. The child, Anne, survived and lives in Canada. I guess she'd be getting on now, or maybe even dead.

Jeannie... no idea, but a possible lead is a daughter named Greta who went to Australia. No information on a husband.

No idea about John (Robinson) Hendry's marriage or death either.

James18
09-10-15, 15:06
Jeannie isn't this one:

1889 HENDRY JANE F GORBALS GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/12 0314

I wonder if it is the Mary Jane one, then.

EDIT: Blimey, it was.

Mary-Jane Hendry, March 12th, 1890!

Also found her marriage & deaths. She had a daughter named Greta, so that'll be her who went to Australia.

James18
09-10-15, 20:24
Found obituaries for Jim Brown Hendry and his son Jim Gordon Brown Hendry, both doctors.

Trying to pin down Annie Hendry and John Robinson Hendry now. No leads, sadly. :(

James18
10-10-15, 10:27
Did anyone manage to find any more information for John Robinson Brown and Elizabeth Jane Major? It seems clear when they married, but I don't have any birth or death dates. :(

EDIT: I suppose it's possible there just aren't any records...

kiterunner
10-10-15, 11:11
Did anyone manage to find any more information for John Robinson Brown and Elizabeth Jane Major? It seems clear when they married, but I don't have any birth or death dates. :(

Did you look at their marriage certificate on the GRONI site, or elsewhere? It may give more information such as occupations, ages, places of residence, witnesses' names.

James18
10-10-15, 11:32
I just paid 5 credits to look at the full certificate.

Registration details
Registration number
M/1850/H1/203/1/58
Registration district
Ballymena
Place of marriage
Craigs Church of Ireland
Date of marriage
3rd June 1850
Groom details
Groom name(s)
John Robinson Brown
Age condition at marriage of groom
Full
Bride details
Bride name(s)
Jane Elizth. Major
Age condition at marriage of bride
Minor

I've uploaded the image here (https://i.imgur.com/GqvpQ9w.jpg) -- had to piece it together from GRONI. :D

In this case, would a minor being an under sixteen?

kiterunner
10-10-15, 12:10
No, minor would be under 21.

kiterunner
10-10-15, 12:32
So, all the men were weavers, and both parties lived at Tullygrawley. Witnesses Saml Thompson and John Paul.

James18
10-10-15, 12:39
I've found Sam Hendry's son, Sam Brown Hendry - another doctor - and his wife and children. The children should still be alive. I've also found Greta and her husband, and a death date for her father (Jeannie's husband).

No idea about Annie or John Robinson, sadly. He's on the 1911 census as working at the locomotive works with his dad, so I suspect he helped build/repair railway wagons as well. Can't find any marriage or death certificates, though there is a possible lead here (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gss=angs-c&new=1&rank=1&gsfn=John+Robinson+Brown&gsfn_x=0&gsln=Hendry&gsln_x=NN&msbdy=1885&msbpn__ftp=Glasgow%2c+Lanarkshire%2c+Scotland&msbpn=91050&msbpn_PInfo=8-%7c0%7c0%7c3257%7c3252%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c91007%7c91050 %7c0%7c&cp=0&MSAV=1&uidh=yke&pcat=40&h=8242220&db=BT26&indiv=1&ml_rpos=60) -- could be nothing, though.

My notes say that John had children in Sheffield, and there is indeed a marriage indexing for a Samuel Hendry marrying in Sheffield, but I'm not sure I can link them back to him, and I have no idea what his wife was called.

I've done Roger's family and most of Jim's family.

So, really, I'm now just after information on John Robinson Hendry, Annie Hendry and their grandparents, Jane Major and John Robinson Brown. That's going back a bit, though, so we're likely not going to find much.

James18
10-10-15, 13:23
Here (http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Galgorm/Moylarg/930423/) are Samuel Hendry and Mary-Jane Jack on the 1901 census, so we know they both died sometime after that. Can't find a 1911 one with them on.

There are plenty of Mary Henrys in 1911, but I can't find a Mary Jane.

kiterunner
10-10-15, 14:06
Griffith's Valuation for Tullaghgarley, parish of Craigs, Antrim, has Timothy Brown renting house, office and land from Adam Knowles, with John Brown renting a house from Timothy Brown:
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&familyname=brown&wildcard=on&firstname=&baronyname=&countyname=ANTRIM&unionname=&parishname=CRAIGS&Submit.x=44&Submit.y=11

kiterunner
10-10-15, 14:15
But looking through Tullaghgarley in the 1863-1869 Valuation Revision Book (images 74-5), I don't see any Browns.
http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/val12b.htm

John Robinson Brown was having children baptised in Galgorm by 1864 so I will look at that next.

kiterunner
10-10-15, 14:36
Hmph, didn't find any Browns at Galgorm in the 1863-9 revision book (images 84-89).

Moving on to the 1864-1877 book:
Tullaghgarley (image no 39) has Timothy Browne renting house, office and lands from Adam Knowles. Timothy's name is crossed out and replaced by Thomas Ewart. John Browne is down as renting a house from Timothy Browne, and again, Timothy's name is crossed out and Thomas Ewart written in. So it looks as though Timothy Browne probably died in that time period.

kiterunner
10-10-15, 14:51
1877-1890 book John Browne is still listed as renting a house from Thos Ewart at Tullaghgarley (image 62). It's crossed out in the 1890-1902 book (image 44) and the word "razed" written in.

There are quite a few John Brown(e) deaths in Ballymena district around that time but no way to tell from the index which one is him if his death was registered without his middle name. Also, no Elizabeth Jane Brown(e) deaths there, but there is a Jane Browne death in Jan-Mar 1891, age 59, which would fit with her being a minor in 1850. But of course Jane Brown(e) is a very common name so it could easily be someone else.

James18
10-10-15, 15:58
Well, it's not much, but I have managed to find a 1915 valuation roll for Samuel Hendry, wagon repairer, 73 Alexandra Parade, Glasgow.

The annual rent or value is £15, 15 shilling and Sam is a trustee of Charles Jackson, per David Graham, 180 Hope Street, Glasgow.

I assume that means he is the landlord?

I wonder if any of his children owned property by 1925, when the last scroll is available, as it may be useful in finding John and Annie.

kiterunner
10-10-15, 18:05
Were the Hendry family still living in Glasgow on the 1911 census, James?

kiterunner
10-10-15, 18:20
Searching on Scotland's People for Statutory Deaths with surname blank, forename Annie, other surnames Hen*ry, birth year 1895 +- 1, year range 1911-2014 (I am assuming she is on the 1911 census?) comes back with 20 matches. If you add mother's maiden surname Brown and tick the "Include Unrecorded Mother's Maiden Surname" box, it goes down to 14, but we don't know whether her mother's maiden name will be correct on her death reg anyway. You would only need 1 credit to view the list, but then it could be expensive going through them trying to find the right one.

Edit - I see you said before that you found 2 possible death regs for Annie and checked them and they weren't her, so does that mean you were only looking in Lanarkshire?

kiterunner
10-10-15, 18:46
There is a John Robertson Hendry death in 1921, county Lanark, district Dennistoun, year of birth 1885. Have you already checked that one out, James?

James18
10-10-15, 19:08
Kate, you're a star! I would never have thought to check that; it is him, and some annoying sod has put him down as Robertson rather than Robinson.

He was married to a Mary Johnston at the time of his death, so that's a new route to go down!

re the 1911 census, yes, they were at 73 Alexandra Parade, which is where the 1915 valuation roll was done.

re Annie Hendry, my saved search is:

You searched for: Male Surname: ""; Male Surname Option: Exact; Male Forename: ""; Male Forename Option: Prefix; Female Surname: "HENDRY"; Female Surname Option: Exact; Female Forename: "ANNIE"; Female Forename Option: Prefix; Year From: 1915; Year To: 1935; City: GLASGOW CITY;

24 results

&

You searched for: Surname: "HENDRY"; Surname Option: Exact; Forename: "ANNIE"; Forename Option: Prefix; Other Surname: "BROWN"; Sex: "Female"; Year From: 1855; Year To: 2014; Birth Year: 1860; Birth Year Range: 5;

2 results

kiterunner
10-10-15, 19:15
His name was John Robertson Hendry on his birth registration, wasn't it?

I can't think of a good way to track Annie down just now.

What else are you still trying to find out, James? I keep losing track of where we are up to with so many different lines to follow.

James18
10-10-15, 19:28
I honestly thought it was Robinson... it looked like that to me, and I knew his grandfather was a John Robinson Brown. My mistake, obviously.

I'll see what I can do about Annie... that one's tricky as we don't have a name for the husband, but mu notes say he was a chemist and that Annie 'died with first baby' and that she (the girl) is now in Montreal. I think she was named Anne, or Annie, but of course we don't know what the surname would be. :(

My current line of inquiry is to find out who John & Mary's children were, and what happened to them. I have Sam and Anna on my notes, and Sheffield...

Random question... because of the way SP cuts off middle names in index records, what do you think a middle name beginning Goodb---- would be? Goodbrand?

I was searching for an Alexander G Stewart, and it came up ALEXANDER GOODB STEWART, which I believe to be him, but I thought it a curious name.

kiterunner
10-10-15, 21:35
Could be Goodburn.

James18
11-10-15, 01:16
The Annie mystery is solved...

She married Robert John Binning in 1919 in Glasgow; they then emigrated to Montreal where a daughter, Nanette Ruth Binning, was born in 1921. As I thought, it seems Annie died in childbirth, and Robert re-married and had other children with his second wife.

I'm trying to find out what happened to Nan. There are several passenger lists with her on, on Ancestry, but no luck finding marriage or death listings so far.

EDIT: There's a public tree listing for Nanette's family here (http://trees.ancestry.ca/tree/12635232/person/26433071504), which includes a fair bit of information. Sadly, this is the only decent information I can find for Nan, and I've had no luck finding any trace of a birth indexing, let alone marriage.

I'm guessing most of this still will be Canadian, so I have been trawling through Ancestry.ca, but absolutely no trace of her aside from three passenger lists, and I've tried Anne, Annie, Nan, Nanette, Nancy, etc. :(

I'll try messaging the tree owner, anyway.

James18
11-10-15, 16:00
Well, I've trawled through GRONI with various search criteria and I cannot find any potential death indexes for Samuel or Mary Jane Henry/Hendry, nor any mention of either of them on the 1911 census. Sadly the birth records don't start until 1864, and so I don't have birth dates for them either. I'll keep trying, but I'm running out of ideas and I suppose it may well be that there simply aren't any surviving records.

Where do you suggest for Irish church parish records? Have you had much success with them? I'm fairly confident they didn't follow their son over to Scotland, as I can't find anything that matches on SP.

This (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FR2D-R3T) is the best result I can find for Mary Jane's death, but it is a few years out.

kiterunner
11-10-15, 18:01
Here (http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Galgorm/Moylarg/930423/) are Samuel Hendry and Mary-Jane Jack on the 1901 census, so we know they both died sometime after that. Can't find a 1911 one with them on.

There are plenty of Mary Henrys in 1911, but I can't find a Mary Jane.

This looks like Samuel in 1911 and he is a widower:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Galgorm/Moylarg/121176/
Your Samuel and Mary Jane did have a son John born 1864, which fits with this census entry.

James18
11-10-15, 18:06
Well, that's a very good find. I did look through that website, so must have missed that entry. Thank you.

I like that he's 82 and still a labourer of some kind. It often mentions if someone is retired, so I assume he worked until he dropped. Mind you, a lot of people did back then.

kiterunner
11-10-15, 18:10
There is a Mary Jane Henry death Oct-Dec 1910 Coleraine district, age 72, maybe possible if one of their children was living in that area? The age is a few years out though.
Or could she be down as Jane Henry Oct-Dec 1910 Ballymena district, age 74.

kiterunner
11-10-15, 18:14
And I think Samuel could be the Samuel Henry who died Jul-Sep 1920 Ballymena district, age given as 98.

James18
11-10-15, 18:15
There's a 98 year old Samuel Henry died 30th June 1920 in Ballymena.

Obviously this would up-age him a few years, but if he was ~90 then it's maybe not surprising that any surviving family members may not have known when he was born. He was also illiterate, we think.

What do you reckon? Think it's worth me checking the full certificate? I can't find a better match.

kiterunner
11-10-15, 18:17
There's a 98 year old Samuel Henry died 30th June 1920 in Ballymena.

Obviously this would up-age him a few years, but if he was ~90 then it's maybe not surprising that any surviving family members may not have known when he was born. He was also illiterate, we think.

What do you reckon? Think it's worth me checking the full certificate? I can't find a better match.

Yes, I think that could well be him.

James18
11-10-15, 18:18
Yes, I think that could well be him.
Yeah, I'll try it, and sorry I missed your post by a few seconds!

James18
11-10-15, 18:27
Here (https://i.imgur.com/XFL9Wl2.jpg) it is.

The end is a bit cut off; it just says James Wilson, registrar. The rest I pieced together and saved. I think that must be him, surely?

Now I'll try Mary Jane.

EDIT: Jane Henry isn't her. Wife of a war widow(er). Matthew Henry, widower, present at death.

I'll try the Coleraine one.

James18
11-10-15, 18:44
Here's (https://i.imgur.com/Iw4dyBf.jpg) the Mary Jane Henry from Coleraine.

kiterunner
11-10-15, 18:54
That's not her then. Maybe the Jane Henry from Ballymena?

James18
11-10-15, 19:01
Here's (https://i.imgur.com/BVGqQcd.jpg) the Jane Henry one.

Any other ideas?

EDIT: Presumably she died between the 1901 and 1911 census'.

James18
11-10-15, 19:45
Ah, I think I found her!

It's this (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gss=angs-g&new=1&rank=1&msT=1&gsfn=Mary+Jane&gsfn_x=0&gsln=Henry&gsln_x=0&MSAV=1&msbdy=1836&msbpn__ftp=Ireland&msbpn=3250&msbpn_PInfo=3-%7c0%7c1652381%7c0%7c3250%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0% 7c&msddy=1905&msddy_x=1&msddp=10&msdpn__ftp=Ireland&msdpn=3250&msdpn_PInfo=3-%7c0%7c1652381%7c0%7c3250%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0% 7c&_83004003-n_xcl=m&cpxt=1&cp=8&catbucket=rstp&uidh=yke&pcat=ROOT_CATEGORY&h=4884119&recoff=5+6&db=FSIrelandCivRegDeath&indiv=1&ml_rpos=5) entry, so no Jane for some reason.

11th October, 1908, Ballymoney, age 72. Image is here (https://i.imgur.com/IcGwrsd.jpg).

James18
11-10-15, 20:11
1877-1890 book John Browne is still listed as renting a house from Thos Ewart at Tullaghgarley (image 62). It's crossed out in the 1890-1902 book (image 44) and the word "razed" written in.

There are quite a few John Brown(e) deaths in Ballymena district around that time but no way to tell from the index which one is him if his death was registered without his middle name. Also, no Elizabeth Jane Brown(e) deaths there, but there is a Jane Browne death in Jan-Mar 1891, age 59, which would fit with her being a minor in 1850. But of course Jane Brown(e) is a very common name so it could easily be someone else.

That's not her. March 6th, 1891, Ballymena. Jane Browne, female, spinster, 59 years, school teacher.

Cause of death is general senility... at 59. :o

James18
21-11-15, 11:06
EDIT: Nevermind. Probably not relevant!

James18
21-11-15, 17:40
Well, I've certainly made some progress with John Robertson Hendry. I managed to work out who his two children were, and I've found records for both. As per my notes (which I feared may have been wrong) his son was another Samuel Hendry, who was born in Glasgow in 1917 and died there in 1984. I then managed to work out who his wife was by continually narrowing down my search criteria. It seems Sam married a woman named Matilda Barr Broadley (1914 - 1998) in 1940, who I believe later married a man named John Aldeson in the 60s.

So far, the only child of theirs I've managed to find is an Owen Broadley Hendry, who was born and died April 1947. His death certificate is on SP, which confirmed the Hendry - Broadley marriage and also mentions that Sam was a coal miner.

Unfortunately I don't have any more names to go on, and so I don't know if Sam and Matilda had any more children or who they'd be. I searched 1940 - 1960 in the same district Owen was born in - Camlachie - but couldn't find any names I'd have expected: Samuel, John Robertson, Johnston, Matilda, Barr, Broadley, etc.

It could well be that Sam and Matilda didn't have any other children, but I'm working on the assumption they did. It's great I've been able to confirm their marriage and managed to stumble on the death certificate for Owen (who appears to have been named after his uncle, who is the informant) so I definitely feel like I've overcome a huge hurdle, but I am certainly keen to find out more.

Sam's sister was Annie Russell Hendry (1919 - 2009) who married a Yorkshireman, William Lesley Darley (1913 - 1999) and moved down to Sheffield where they started a family. I've got the Darleys covered, thanks to English records being a lot easier to find.

Given that John Robertson Hendry died in 1921, I am doubtful that there were any more children, and Sam and Annie (well, Anna) are the only two names I had on my notes, but of course it's always possible.

Anyway, I am very much interested in trying to find out anything else I can about Sam and Matilda and their family, and so if anyone can help me in this quest then I'd be very grateful. I often tend to hit a brick wall with Scottish relatives because information is a lot harder to find, with (for example) online Scottish probate records stopping at 1925.

All I know about Sam is that he was born in 1917, became a coal miner, married Matilda Barr Broadley in 1940, had a son who died when 1 month old, and himself died in 1984.

Where do you recommend I go from here? I'm trying to follow up any possible leads before I have to start ordering certificates from SP.

kiterunner
21-11-15, 17:56
Ancestry has the Scottish equivalent of the National Probate Calendar up to 1936, James:
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=60558

James18
21-11-15, 18:22
Yeah, that's where I got John Robertson's probate entry from originally, but then I also paid 10 credits to get the full estate inventory from SP as I was told it may list his children's names, but sadly it didn't. (It did confirm he had lawful issue, though).

So yeah, I did know about the Ancestry link but sadly it won't be of much use now, given the 1936 cut-off point. Not for this family, anyway -- AFAIK only John is on it.

Annie Russell and William Leslie Darley are both on the England & Wales probate register, so I was able to get their dates of death from there.

James18
22-11-15, 15:52
If anyone's interested in helping, this (http://www.familytreeforum.com/showthread.php/113171-John-Robertson-Hendry-possible-brick-wall-how-to-proceed?p=2559842#post2559842) post should bring you up to speed.

kiterunner
22-11-15, 16:28
The National Records of Scotland catalogue has a listing for "Samuel Hendry v Matilda Broadley or Hendry: Divorce", dated 1957. Had you already seen that, James?

James18
22-11-15, 16:33
Oh wow, no! That's fantastic. Where can I see that?

kiterunner
22-11-15, 16:43
http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/details.aspx?reference=CS258%2f48360&st=1&tc=y&tl=n&tn=n&tp=n&k=matilda+hendry&ko=a&r=&ro=s&df=&dt=&di=y

But there is some information on the British Genes blog about new restrictions on access to divorce records, so I'm not sure whether you would be able to view the file (having ordered it in advance via the link above) if you went to the National Archives of Scotland:
http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/access-to-scottish-divorce-records-to.html

James18
22-11-15, 16:59
Thanks Kate, and a shame about the news/update. =/

Still, at least we now know that it was indeed the same Matilda Broadley who died in 1998, and that she had divorced Sam and married John Aldeson in 1961. I was pretty sure that the Sam who died in 1984 was the right guy, so I'd have been confused if Matilda had re-married as a widow.

I wonder if Sam re-married...

James18
21-12-15, 06:25
FamilySearch has these, taken from the Irish civil registration records:
William Brown born 25 Jul 1864 Galgorm, Antrim, Ireland, parents John Robinson Brown and Elizabeth Major
James Brown born 12 Jun 1866 Galgorm, Antrim, Ireland, parents John Robinson Brown and Elizabeth Major
Brown born 12 Apr 1869 Galgorm, Antrim, Ireland, parents John Brown and Eliza Major
Eliza Brown born 5 Jan 1872 Galgorm, Antrim, Ireland, parents John Brown and Eliza Major

James's date of birth fits with the James on the 1891 census.
Having re-read this and comparing it with the additional evidence on the various BMD certificates in the William James Burlington thread, I am pretty certain that this is indeed Elizabeth Brown his first wife. It matches up with her being 57 on her 1929 death certificate, and combined with the parents' names...

It's a shame there is no DOB for Annie Brown (c1859) on FamilySearch, but as you say some of the records were probably destroyed.

I have since managed to find a death certificate on SP for Jane Elizabeth Major, but unfortunately I think John Robinson Brown will have died in Ireland some years before, and I can't find anything for him aside from that 1850 marriage. It's a shame to have a bit of a gap in the tree, but what can you do?

James18
04-01-16, 10:02
Kate, I was wrong about the Matilda Broadley - Samuel Hendry marriage. Now that 1940 marriages are available, I paid to view their certificate and Sam's dad was a Michael Hendry. However, I was able to get in touch with one of my mum's second cousins who told me that Sam's wife was called Betty, and so I think it is the Elizabeth Potter Allan marriage. The cousin has passed on my e-mail address and query to Sam's children, so hopefully I hear something soon.

So, don't say I'm not the first to admit defeat when wrong. :D