PDA

View Full Version : Could Josiah be Joseph?

ElizabethHerts
08-10-15, 09:45
My 7x-great-grandfather is Joseph Grose and my first sighting of him is in 1672 at St Enoder, Cornwall, when he married Mary Thomas.

St Enoder registers are well transcribed and also available to browse on Family Search, and I can't find a baptism for him.

Of course, he was probably born in the 1640s, a turbulent period when parish registers were not so well kept.

However, he had a son called Nicholas, and I keep returning to the Grose family of Luxulyan, which had generations of Nicholases. I have found at Luxulyan the baptism of Josias Grose, father Henry, on 21st November 1649.

The interesting thing is that living at St Enoder in the late 1600s is also a Samuel Grose, and he has baptised a son called Josias in 1685.

So I am now wondering:
Could Samuel and Joseph be brothers?
Did Samuel call his son Josias because his brother Joseph was actually baptised Josias?

Quite a few Grose wills for Luxulyan have been transcribed (on Cornwall OPC website), but they give no clues. However, there are still more for the period in question.

Unfortunately my Joseph, who died in 1700, did not leave a will.

kiterunner
08-10-15, 10:05
There are some Grose / Groose / Grosse baptisms at St Enoder around the right time, with parents Thomas and Jane, but no Joseph. I wonder whether Thomas was related to the Luxulyan family?

ElizabethHerts
08-10-15, 10:19
It's a thought, Kate. I saw Thomas and his wife too.

Grose is a common name in Cornwall and a lot of the early registers are not transcribed, so he could have come from elsewhere, unfortunately.

I found the image for Josias' baptism, but it is very faint.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11664-12582-2?cc=1769414&wc=3CBC-Y43:138123201,139846301,1582884205

On the left-hand page. I have downloaded it and fiddled with the contrast and mid-tones.