PDA

View Full Version : Baby adopted but Registration not changed

vallee
30-08-09, 18:58
If a baby was legally adopted would it still be possible to obtain the original Birth Cert ??? or would it be registered under the new parents names ?
And if so would the registration date be different?
He was originally registered in the March Quarter of 1966 .
I do know the names of the adoptees and am trying to find his re registration if there is one?
For reasons I cant say I dont think he was legally adopted ?
Any ideas thanks

kiterunner
30-08-09, 19:03
As I understand it, you can order a copy of the original birth cert as normal if you have the details you need to order it (name, quarter, district, volume, page number) and it will say "adopted" on it. The adoption registration would not be listed on the births index as there is a separate index for adoptions and it isn't available online.

vallee
30-08-09, 19:05
thanks for your reply
I dont know his date of birth and as its under 50 years ago cant order it ??
The person who had him has forgotten what date he was born ?? believe it or not .

JessBow
30-08-09, 19:07
A birth parent has to register the birth of a child, regardless of their intention to keep it or not. They usually name i, although you might find just ''Boy'' Jones, for instance.

The adoption is then listed on the Adoption register, but after the legal process, which can be any time after, usually about 6 months, but can be much longer after( rarely shorter).

Of course if it wa pre 1927 or not a legal adoption there will be no registation at all.

You can order it - you need the ref, from the indexes

vallee
30-08-09, 19:12
thanks Jess I do know the mother and how long she had him for its a sad story really, he was or is my Nephew.
I thought as he was born less than 50 years ago I could not get the cert without the exact date of birth or am I wrong??

LindyTumblethump
30-08-09, 19:18
You just need to know the quarter then you could order it from the register office where it was originally registered as long as you have childs name and mothers name xxhugxx

vallee
30-08-09, 19:23
thanks Lindy I do

Mandy in Wiltshire
01-09-09, 09:56
That's correct, Val, you can't order a birth certificate from within the last 50 years from the GRO unless you have the exact date of birth. I don't know if this rule applies at local offices, but seeing that it's to do with identity theft/fraud/etc, I should think it would be the same everywhere.

Mandy in Wiltshire
01-09-09, 09:58
PS: Adoptions became legal in 1927 so I'd be surprised if there was an 'unofficial' one as recently as 1966. If it wasn't done legally, I reckon they would've kept his birth name, otherwise it would cause them all sorts of problems.

MargaretMarch
01-09-09, 11:18
PS: Adoptions became legal in 1927 so I'd be surprised if there was an 'unofficial' one as recently as 1966. If it wasn't done legally, I reckon they would've kept his birth name, otherwise it would cause them all sorts of problems.

Anyone can change their name to whatever they wish without any formal action. In this case if it wasn't a formal adoption (and I'm sure they went on!) it's likely the child just assumed whatever name the new parents chose and then you are just shown as 'known as' when you have to do anything official. You would of course have to have your original details to show at some point.
Margaret

Mandy in Wiltshire
01-09-09, 11:55
Anyone can change their name to whatever they wish without any formal action. In this case if it wasn't a formal adoption (and I'm sure they went on!) it's likely the child just assumed whatever name the new parents chose and then you are just shown as 'known as' when you have to do anything official. You would of course have to have your original details to show at some point.
Margaret

Yes, you can change your name to whatever you want to, as long as there's no 'intention to deceive'. I was meaning that the parents/guardians would have to show a legal document - either birth or adoption certificate - in order to claim Child Benefit or to register him at school etc.

JessBow
01-09-09, 13:24
That's correct, Val, you can't order a birth certificate from within the last 50 years from the GRO unless you have the exact date of birth. I don't know if this rule applies at local offices, but seeing that it's to do with identity theft/fraud/etc, I should think it would be the same everywhere.

Yes you can! I have my birth sisters, and my half brothers - knew neither actual DOB, just year & qtr ( and name of course)

MargaretMarch
01-09-09, 13:27
Yes you can! I have my birth sisters, and my half brothers - knew neither actual DOB, just year & qtr ( and name of course)

Yes I got my brother in law's birth cert simply from the GRO ref. and he was adopted at birth but got his birth name.
Margaret

vallee
01-09-09, 20:42
I did go to the kensington site and they charge £25 for a cert if you order online ??? does anybody know if you can do it by phone ?? and if so how much they would charge ?? thanks

Tom Tom
01-09-09, 22:36
You don't have to know the exact date of birth to order a birth cert even if it is within the last 50 years. You just need to know some extra details, such as the parent/s names.

When I ordered my Auntie's b-i-l's birth cert (very complicated family thing I was trying to sort out) I rang the GRO and said, I know who his parents were and they said that was fine. Had to pay slightly more, but the online system needed to put a DoB in but I didn't need the DoB on the phone.

Olde Crone
01-09-09, 22:51
vallee

You are on the wrong site!

Go to

www.gro.gov.uk

If you have the reference number, a cert will only cost you £7. £25 is a rip off site.

OC

kiterunner
01-09-09, 22:53
The trouble is, she doesn't have the date of birth so she can't order online from the GRO, OC, because it is a "recent" one.

JayG
01-09-09, 22:58
Can you not just input a DOB that falls in that quarter? Surely the Name, district & Ref will surffice, & the DOB isn't used as a checking ref.

vallee
01-09-09, 23:12
thanks for that Tom will ring them tomorrow then and thanks for everyone else's replies
not sure if that would work Jay

Mandy in Wiltshire
01-09-09, 23:34
That's interesting to know that you can get a recent birth cert from the local office even though you can't get it online from the GRO, and that you can get one over the phone from the GRO - you learn something new every day :)