PDA

View Full Version : My Raby/Rawby bunch.............again

Glen TK
01-10-15, 14:43
This is going to cover a bit from yesterday but some new discoveries make me question my starting ancestor Elizabeth Raby

Name: Susannah Harwood Chambers
Christening Date: 14 Jun 1794
Christening Place: WRAGBY,LINCOLN,ENGLAND
Father's Name: Henry Chambers
Mother's Name: Elizabeth

Place Wragby
Church All Saints
MarriageDate 11 Feb 1794

GroomForename Henry
GroomSurname CHAMBERS
GroomCondition Widower
GroomAbode Wragby

BrideForename Elizabeth
BrideSurname RABY
BrideCondition Spinster

I would think Elizabeth to be born no later than 1775 but can only find one birth;

Elizabeth Raby
Christening Date: 19 Oct 1770
Christening Place: Wragby, Lincoln, England
Father's Name: Edward Raby
Mother's Name: Elizabeth

Things get a bit tricky as there are two Edward/Elizabeth marriages. A few records tie up to suggest Edward is the son of Thomas Wraby and Elizabeth Porring/Pooring. Lot's of children with Thomas and Elizabeth as parents, the likelyhood being there were several Thomas and Elizabeth couples.

I've found the following two marriages, so I'm really not sure if I have followed the right or wrong families starting back from the Raby/Chambers marriage IN 1794.

Thomas Rawby
England Marriages, 1538–1973
marriage: 26 September 1728 Wragby, Lincoln, England
spouse: Elizabeth Perrin

Thomas Rawby
England Marriages, 1538–1973
marriage: 1736 Wragby, Lincoln, England
spouse: Elizabeth Harwood

kiterunner
01-10-15, 16:25
Are there a lot of Harwoods marrying into the Chambers and / or Raby families, for Susannah to be named after, Glen, or is Elizabeth Harwood the only one you've found?

Glen TK
01-10-15, 16:49
It's the only instance of the surname anywhere so far that I have found, as far as I know it's never used anywhere else in the family. The name Susannah appears a couple of times in the Chambers line but this is the earliest.

Sarah Perryn is a name in my tree though connected to the Espin family and remarriage into another Chambers line, 1820-1850's period close to Wragby.

Maybe a coincidence but could just be that it's a rural area, not densely populated, limited surname pool and a good many marriages between extended families.