PDA

View Full Version : Family Tree Maker 2014 questions

James18
25-09-15, 16:40
How do I make it so that when I add a second spouse to an individual, they aren't given their own 'family' and become a dotted box with [1] number.

I know about preferred spouses, and I've set the first husband as such, and he's also the first.

All I want is the second husband (no children) to appear next to the wife, as various other second spouses do on my other tree.

Very annoying!

kiterunner
25-09-15, 17:20
On the versions of FTM which I have used, you always get a separate family for the second spouse and have to click to get to them, and I never knew there could be another way of doing it, but I must admit I don't know much about FTM. Maybe someone else will know.

But in any case, I do usually add in stepchildren, children by the second spouse etc, just so that if I come across them again or someone contacts me to ask about them, I already know how they fit in and don't have to research them all over again. So I would always need the second family screen added anyway.

James18
29-09-15, 19:53
http://www.familytreeforum.com/showthread.php/112765-A-couple-of-FTM-2014-questions?p=2554980&viewfull=1#post2554980

Sorry to link to FTF, but it's the same query.

I seriously don't understand why that is necessary. There really should be some way to 'override' examples like that...

kiterunner
29-09-15, 21:52
Oh sorry, I didn't realise you were talking about making a chart. I've never done that, but you are getting expert advice on FTF.