PDA

View Full Version : Monsignor Patrick Hynes

tenterfieldjulie
10-09-15, 08:47
According to a local Tenterfield, NSW publication, on 7 August 1962 – Monsignor Patrick Hynes died in Ireland. He had been parish priest in Tenterfield, NSW for over 20 years. I am a bit rusty at the moment. I am wondering if someone can direct me where to look to find where in Ireland he died and whether he had an obituary:confused:. Thanks. Julie

kiterunner
10-09-15, 10:05
Click on this link:

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Then on "Civil Records" and then you can search the Irish GRO indexes. It comes back with 5 deaths in that name in that year but if you know his age at death you should be able to figure out which one is him and it will give you the district.

kiterunner
10-09-15, 10:15
You could search the Irish Times archive for an obituary:

http://www.irishtimes.com/archive

But I can't find anything on there. Or are you looking for an Australian obituary?

tenterfieldjulie
10-09-15, 10:33
I found an article on him after he died in the local Tenterfield paper, but it only spoke about his time in Australia. He lived for the last 6 years or so back in Ireland and I am interested in what happened to him there. He went to Ireland for 12 months holiday hoping that he would be fit to come back to Australia, after 12 months he retired and stayed in Ireland. I am sure I have something about where and when he was born. I just need to find it.

Shona
10-09-15, 10:42
There is an article in the Catholic Freemans' Journal in 1933 reporting on Father Hynes celebrating his silver jubilee as a priest. Link to article on Trove here:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?exactPhrase=&dateTo=&q=Patrick+hynes&notWords=&anyWords=tenterfield+1962&dateFrom=&requestHandler=&sortby=

Nothing about where he was born or his age, though. Boo!

It take quite a few years to become a priest, so I reckon Hynes must have been in his 50s when the article was written.

There are the five hits for deaths in Ireland in 1962:

Carlow, aged 87
Cork, aged 78
Loughrea, aged 67
Scarriff, aged 80
Wexford, aged 75

(SNAP! Kate)

Therefore, I think the deaths in Carlow or Scarriff are more likely to be him that the Loughrea or Wexford ones.

I did find him listed in a 1954 electoral role for Tenterfield.

Would immigration records give his age? Can't find any that fit at the moment.

JBee
10-09-15, 11:14
I've struggled too - all I found was that he died in August 1962 in the Victoria Catholic Directory.

tenterfieldjulie
10-09-15, 11:45
I haven't got the information I want on this computer. He would have been in his 80s when he died I'd think. He celebrated his silver jubilee in 1933. It is possible he was younger because in those days some of the priests were very young when they entered the seminary. Thanks very much everyone.
In an panygeric that was in the Tenterfield paper, I don't have a copy (it isn't on Trove) .. I know it said he was he was a champion boxer and foot runner and an All Ireland Champion. I don't know whether that was for boxing or running. He was a marvellous horseman and after a visit to Ireland in 1937, he visited the Dublin Horseshow where he bought a hunter and had it shipped to Australia. One of his horses was called Pat's Choice, but I can't remember the name of the hunter.

Shona
10-09-15, 13:44
Posting this in case it is the right person.

There is a 56-year-old priest named Patrick Hynes arriving in Southampton from New York on board Cunard's Olympic on 27 July 1934. He was heading for Bally Bunon in Ireland.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/1518/30807_A001055-00160?pid=9998816&backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2f%2fcg i-bin%2fsse.dll%3findiv%3d1%26db%3dbt26%26gss%3dangs-d%26new%3d1%26rank%3d1%26gsfn%3dpatrick%26gsfn_x%3 d1%26gsln%3dhynes%26gsln_x%3dNN%26MSAV%3d1%26cpxt% 3d1%26cp%3d11%26catbucket%3drstp%26uidh%3dfpy%26pc at%3d40%26fh%3d16%26h%3d9998816%26recoff%3d%26ml_r pos%3d17&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true

Bally Bunon may be Ballybunion a coastal town in Co Kerry.

Prob is that the record states his place of residence was the USA not Aus.

tenterfieldjulie
10-09-15, 14:04
I've found that he was ordained in Ireland in 1908 - Newspaper Dec 1950 when made Monsignor states - "Monsignor P. Hynes was born in Ireland, ordained in 1908 " and arrived in NSW in December that year on the "Suevic". - Newspaper December 1908 - “The Suevic” . On the voyage out there was a priest on board. The priest—Father Hynes—was going to New South Wales, to Bishop O'Connor, of Armidale. He had only recently been ordained, and was quite a young man.

Bishop Coleman was educated by the Cistercian monks at Mt. Mellerary in Waterford and he said he was a school friend but he was younger and he was born in C1888.

I'm now thinking either Wexford aged 75 (born 1887) or Cork aged 78 born 1884.

tenterfieldjulie
11-09-15, 08:22
According a tribute in Tenterfield newspaper in 1962 . Mons. Patrick Hynes was born 17 March, 1884 at Tinnock, County Waterford, parents Edward Hynes and Hanora Power. I think it should be County Wexford but as it is across the river from Waterford City quite possibly then it was in County Waterford. Anyhow this birth date fits with the Patrick Hynes whose death was registered at Cork aged 78. Now to see how to access Cork newspapers as I am sure he had family there who would have had something in the newspaper. There was one story that he had a niece who bred horses but that may only be a story. Thanks Kate, Julie and Shona. Julie G

Shona
11-09-15, 13:05
The Cork Examiner is on Find My Past, but I got no hits when I searched that.

However, a couple of articles come up in the Irish News Archive (https://www.irishnewsarchive.com/). It's pay to view, but by increasing the screen resolution, I could make out the following from the thumbnail pic.

8 August 1962

DEATH OF MONS.
PATRICK HYNES,
YOUGHAL
The passing of Mgr, Patrick
Hynes of (Tinnock/Ticknock?), Youghal, in
his 78th year, at the (?????????)
Manse, Cork, after a brief illness
has occasioned deep regret.
Son of the late Mr and Mrs
Roger Hynes, (Tinnock/Ticknock?), he was....

The other hit is an obituary dated 9 August 1962, but there isn't a thumbnail preview.

Shona
11-09-15, 13:08
Youghal is a coastal resort about 50km from Cork.

Shona
11-09-15, 13:11
Ancestry has a Civil Registration for the birth of Patrick Hynes in the second quarter of 1884 in Youghal.

tenterfieldjulie
12-09-15, 09:52
Shona that is brilliant. My sister and I visited Youghal in 2010 (prounced Yawl) and if I remember correctly it had a display in a window of lace that was made there, which I was fascinated by. I must hunt out my pictures. Many thanks.

katiecooper
27-02-17, 16:04
Hi Julie can you contact me with regards to Mons. Patrick Hynes - I have more information to add to this post

tenterfieldjulie
28-02-17, 22:06
Delighted to hear from you Katie.
I did find out more but anything would be great.
I have sent you a private message as well.

HarrysMum
28-02-17, 22:28
I had a quick look around. Found at least three Patrick Hynes who were priests. I suppose they still had that "give one son to God" idea.

tenterfieldjulie
28-02-17, 22:33
I have Hynes in my family, a couple of nuns but no priests. Three Smiths married three Hynes. Hynes was a popular name .. not quite as common as Smith lol