PDA

View Full Version : Death duties index question

Lindsay
05-09-15, 19:05
If a woman died in 1820 and appeared on the death duty index for that year, is it likely that her husband had predeceased her? I've been trying to find his death for years and I hope this might help narrow it down.

(I was surprised to find her name listed - her husband was a gamekeeper so unlikely to be particularly well off).

Merry
05-09-15, 19:38
Probably more likely than not and if there was a will then her marital status would normally be given when she wrote it.

I do have some married women in my tree making wills at that sort of time period, but not many when compared with the number of widows.

Lindsay
05-09-15, 19:48
Thanks, that's what I hoped!

Unfortunately I haven't found a Will - for her or her husband. He doesn't seem to be in the Death Duty Index either, which seems odd if his wife inherited her money from him.

He's one very elusive man :confused:

Merry
05-09-15, 19:56
What did her entry say?

Lindsay
05-09-15, 20:01
The original is pretty well unreadable on FMP, but the transcription just gives her name and place of residence.
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=bmd%2fd%2fdduty%2f10909

Lindsay
05-09-15, 20:03
Ahh, I've just made out it lists her husband's name after hers (I think). Now I'm really confused.

Edit: Could he be the administrator?

Merry
05-09-15, 20:11
Which one is she?

Lindsay
05-09-15, 20:17
She's Frances Limehouse. It looks like the next bit might say Andrew Limehouse Goadby Marwood (where they lived).

Andrew could refer to her husband or son.

Merry
05-09-15, 20:27
I'd like it to say Archdeaconry of Leicester, but though it does say Arch L..... I'm not sure!

Lindsay
05-09-15, 20:35
Well done - that's more than I could make out!

Mary from Italy
05-09-15, 21:07
Yes, it's the Leicestershire Archdeaconry Court, and Andrew L will be the administrator. Pity it's only an admon. The Leics. Record Office will have the admon documents, but they probably won't help much. Not sure if there'd be an inventory at that date.

There don't appear to be any other pre-1858 wills or admons in the name Limehouse in Leics.

Olde Crone
05-09-15, 22:34
Whilst I agree that admons are not generally much use, I did have one which gave me lots of information because admon was re-granted 20 years after the original admon, to two people I knew nothing about and quite a story unfolded.

OC

Phoenix
07-09-15, 11:40
Do you know her maiden name? Daddy may have left her something that hubby could only get his hands on by means of an admon.

Death duty records themselves should demonstrate if the administrator is husband or son.

Lindsay
07-09-15, 17:34
Death duty records themselves should demonstrate if the administrator is husband or son.

Interesting. Would the death duty records be held at Leicester or Kew, do you know?

Edit - OK, answered my own question, looks like it's Kew.