PDA

View Full Version : Samuel Norden's wife Anne

kiterunner
27-08-15, 17:43
I have traced my tree back to Samuel Norden, rector of Hamsey in Sussex. I found a book on the Internet Archive:

Sussex Archaeological Collections Relating to the History and Antiquities of the County

which includes the following:

Samuel Norden, M.A., rector of Hamsey Ord D and P by Richard Curteys, Bp of Chichester Feb 157f; inst 8 Dec 1582, on presentation of Dorothy Lewknor. His will pr at Lewes 4 May 1609 ... makes mention of his wife Anne (Hussey).

His will is in the PCC wills on ancestry but he just refers to his wife as Anne Norden, so that isn't where they got the maiden name Hussey from. There are a few public family trees etc around which show Anne as the daughter of John Hussey (1512-1572) and Margaret nee Apsley (1519-1583) with Anne being baptised at Cuckfield, Sussex, in 1549, but I haven't managed to find anything to prove this yet. Can anyone else find anything, please?

I found a transcription of Anne's will but the only people mentioned apart from her children and grandchildren are "Mrs Vinall of Arlington" and "Mrs Bingham of Chiddinglye".

ElizabethHerts
27-08-15, 18:50
I don't know if you have seen this, Kate:

http://www.sussex-opc.org/ParishDetails/EastSussex/Hamsey/HamseyIncumbents.htm

It doesn't really give you any more information, though.

ElizabethHerts
27-08-15, 18:54
There area also records of land transactions too, if you google.

www.bandhpast.co.uk/downloads/Hamsey_tenem(P125).doc

However, some dates are later than 1609?

ElizabethHerts
27-08-15, 18:56
You have probably seen this:

http://www.nortonfamily.net/fluvanna-sussex.htm

kiterunner
27-08-15, 19:12
Yes, I've seen those, thanks, Elizabeth (your first and third links). I'm currently trying to find something to prove that Samuel's wife was Anne Hussey.

kiterunner
27-08-15, 19:17
Ah, TNA's catalogue has an entry which mentions this:

By John Mascall to Nathaniell Hussie and Nathaniell Norden to the use of Edward Wood late of Hamsey, clerk, and John Wood his son (20 Oct., 1620)

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/1eca4524-a87d-49a8-aaed-1f1e541d2858

and another entry which mentions the same thing:
The shares of Picknell, Pryer and Worger were later assigned to Mascall who on 20 Oct 1620 assigned the whole to Nathaniel Hussey and Nathaniel Norden in trust for Edward Wood of Hamsey clerk and John Wood his son; the Woods assigned their estate to John Pebworth for £216 on 26 June 1638
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/614cade9-3352-4874-a59a-1d9d2abc39ff

So Nathaniel Hussey was probably a relative of Anne Hussey. Sorry if those are in the land transactions document you linked me to - this computer won't let me search it but I will search it later on my other computer.

Sussex Maid
27-08-15, 21:57
The catalogue on the East Sussex Record Office (The Keep) website has the following -
Norden - will with grant of probate for Samuel Norden of Hamsey, clerk 1609
Hussey - grant of probate for Margaret Hussey of Cuckfield 1583
Bingham - Wills with grant of probate for John Bingham of Chiddingly, clerk 1611 and Ann Bingham of Chiddingly, widow 1623
The transcripts for Holy Trinity Cuckfield start in 1598, so unable to check the baptism you mention.
Regards

kiterunner
27-08-15, 22:00
There area also records of land transactions too, if you google.

www.bandhpast.co.uk/downloads/Hamsey_tenem(P125).doc

However, some dates are later than 1609?

One of Samuel and Anne's sons was named Samuel so I assume he is the one in those later transactions.

kiterunner
27-08-15, 22:01
The catalogue on the East Sussex Record Office (The Keep) website has the following -
Norden - will with grant of probate for Samuel Norden of Hamsey, clerk 1609
Hussey - grant of probate for Margaret Hussey of Cuckfield 1583
Bingham - Wills with grant of probate for John Bingham of Chiddingly, clerk 1611 and Ann Bingham of Chiddingly, widow 1623
The transcripts for Holy Trinity Cuckfield start in 1598, so unable to check the baptism you mention.
Regards

Ooh, thanks! I will have a look.

kiterunner
27-08-15, 22:11
"The Keep" is one of the scariest websites I have ever seen! ;(

Maybe I'll get on better if I look at it tomorrow...

Sussex Maid
27-08-15, 23:58
You have probably seen this but putting it up just in case, on Google Books there is the 'County Genealogies Pedigrees of the Families in the County of Sussex' by William Berry, page 286 has 'Ann (Hussey) living 26 Eliz' as the wife of 'Samuel Norden, of co. Sussex, Clerk' as the parents of 'Nathaniel Norden, of Lewes co. Sussex', which could explain where the information on Ann's surname came from.
Also British History Online for the parish of Cuckfield has some information for the surnames Norden and Hussey.
Regards

Mary from Italy
28-08-15, 00:15
"The Keep" is one of the scariest websites I have ever seen! ;(

Maybe I'll get on better if I look at it tomorrow...

You need to search the online catalogue:

http://www.thekeep.info/collections/advancedsearch

kiterunner
28-08-15, 07:45
You have probably seen this but putting it up just in case, on Google Books there is the 'County Genealogies Pedigrees of the Families in the County of Sussex' by William Berry, page 286 has 'Ann (Hussey) living 26 Eliz' as the wife of 'Samuel Norden, of co. Sussex, Clerk' as the parents of 'Nathaniel Norden, of Lewes co. Sussex', which could explain where the information on Ann's surname came from.
Also British History Online for the parish of Cuckfield has some information for the surnames Norden and Hussey.
Regards

Thanks! That looks very useful.

You need to search the online catalogue:

http://www.thekeep.info/collections/advancedsearch

Thanks, Mary. I did figure that part out last night, but all the wills that I looked at said they "couldn't be ordered" although there was an "Add to wishlist" button which I wasn't sure about. There must be a way of ordering copies somehow, which is what I was going to try to find out today.

Sussex Maid
28-08-15, 08:13
Re ordering copies
The way I have done this (there may be a quicker way but this works) is -
main page - 'services' - copying and digitising services - 'contact us' (send an email request for the items to be reproduced, you need a quote before submitting an order) -
Once you get a quote for the items, usually a couple of days, the reproduction form can be completed, signed and submitted by email, payment can be made by phone and the order should be sent via email within 2 weeks.
Hope this helps
Regards

Jill
28-08-15, 09:06
Regards

Nathaniell's bapt was 2 Feb 1588/89 at Hamsey "borne about 5 of the clocks in the morning 20th Jan" and there are other Norden/Norton bapts, let me know if you need the rest.

kiterunner
28-08-15, 09:25
Thanks very much, Sussex Maid and Jill.

Phoenix
28-08-15, 12:12
I wonder if "living 26 Elizabeth" implies a heralds' visitation in that year? For either Hussey or Norden families?

kiterunner
28-08-15, 12:23
Regards

Ooh, it has a whole tree of the Husseys! This could keep me busy for quite some time! Thanks again.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=OeFEAQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=county+genealogies+pedigrees+of+the+families+in +the+county+of+sussex&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CC0QuwUwAGoVChMIi_yG_OHLxwIVpBbbCh2aAAlo#v=on epage&q=norden&f=false

Edit - already found quite a few mistakes in the Hussey trees in that book. Also, I found John Hussey's will on ancestry, in the PCC wills as John Huss of Cokfeld, Sussex, 6 Mar 1572.

kiterunner
01-09-15, 22:06
I found the will of Henry Hussey, gent, of Battersey, proved 30 May 1611, which mentions his nephews Thomas Hussey and Thomas Norden, and also the will of John Hussey of Cuckfield proved 6 Mar 1572 mentions son Henry and daughter Anne, so these together confirm that Anne Norden was nee Hussey.