PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Benjamin Wadsworth?

BlueSavannah
20-08-15, 16:44
My Great x 3 Grandmother Lydia Sykes' first husband was Benjamin Wadsworth. Both were born in Charlton Brook, Ecclesfield (near Sheffield) and they married at Sheffield St Peter/Paul (Cathedral) on the 12th August 1849. They are residing at the home of Lydia's brother Daniel Sykes on the 1851 census in Attercliffe, Sheffield with their son Benjamin.

There appears to be two baptisms for the child Benjamin both at St Mary, Ecclesfield. The first being in 1850 and the second being in 1859 both giving Benjamin's occupation as a Shoemaker.

By 1861, Lydia is now calling herself Lydia Rowland, the wife of Robert Rowland. There is no marriage of this couple and that is probably because Benjamin was still alive. The problem is that I cannot find any trace of Benjamin after the 1851 census. Would he have had to be present at the 1859 second baptism for his son?

There is another child, Mary Ellen Beaumont Wadsworth who was born in Kimberworth, Rotherham in 1856. She is also with her mother Lydia in 1861. I don't know at this stage if she is actually a child of Benjamin. Mary Ellen is with her mother and 'step father' up to 1871 and then I can't find a trace of her either.

Benjamin junior is on the 1881 census aged 31, unmarried and a commercial traveller in Liverpool. There is a death of a Benjamin Wadsworth in 1886 aged 36 in the district of Chorlton. I think this is likely Benjamin junior's death but I don't have the cert.

Can anyone find Benjamin senior at all after 1851?

kiterunner
20-08-15, 22:02
The problem is that I cannot find any trace of Benjamin after the 1851 census. Would he have had to be present at the 1859 second baptism for his son?
No.

kiterunner
20-08-15, 22:28
Not managed to find him, sorry.

Janet
21-08-15, 02:37
Claire, this book is from 1841 so it can't answer your immediate questions but I suppose it might help you to locate the different family groups geographically. Maybe you've seen it already. (Page 575 refers to Benjamin Wadsworth of Charlton Brook. I'm a bit lost in your generations but I expect he must be one of yours.) I was happy to stumble across it because some of my own names and places are in there too.

West-riding election. The poll for two knights of the shire, for the West-Riding of Yorkshire (https://books.google.com/books?id=Mr8HAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Qw4OVKK5Da0/VdZ_2fayODI/AAAAAAAADPk/nPkXNJqaqSU/s800/Claire.JPG

I don't know what the enumeration in the columns at the right is meant to indicate. I'll have to have a proper look at the book later.

BlueSavannah
21-08-15, 06:17
Hi Janet,

Many thanks for that page. That will be missing Benjamin's father who was confusingly also called Benjamin Wadsworth. That Benjamin was born circa 1787 and died in Ecclesfield in 1868, there is even a picture of his gravestone at St John, Chapeltown online for him.

His son, my missing Benjamin Wadsworth was born in Charlton Brook in 1831. He's with his parents there in 1841 and then he married to Lydia in 1849. He's 19 on the 1851 census but then nothing.

Merry
21-08-15, 08:09
This is the transcribed part of a newspaper article on fmp. I'm trying to eliminate this man, but not having any luck yet!

SHEFFIELD COUNTY COURT

“... plaintiff was the holder and indorsee of a bill of exchange dated 7th June, 1879, drawn by Gelder, and accepted by Benjamin Wadsworth, shoemaker, for £40. ss. 6d., payable m three months after date, and en- dorsed by Gelder, the drawer, to Alexander aud by ...”

15 January 1880 - Sheffield Independent - Sheffield, South

BlueSavannah
21-08-15, 10:16
Oooh Merry that looks very interesting, thank you :)

I've managed to find that article on FMP (not sure why it hadn't come up in my previous newspaper searches for this man). It doesn't really give any more info about Benjamin but I can't see any other Benjamin Wadsworths that were also shoemakers either.

So if this is my man, he's alive in 1880

Merry
21-08-15, 15:28
I'm trying to work out the proper page number for this entry, or find the same marriage recorded elsewhere:

Marriages Sep 1861
WADSWORTH Ben Sheffield 9c 47[_35]
WADSWORTH Ben Sheffield 9c 575

kiterunner
21-08-15, 16:04
The page number looks to be 475, Merry.

Marriages Sep 1861

Basch Jeanette Sheffield 9c 475
COX Kate Sheffield 9c 475
WOLFSOHN Samuel Sheffield 9c 475

Merry
21-08-15, 16:08
Yes, those are the people I've been looking for without any success!

Merry
21-08-15, 17:05
OK, the marriage is Ben W to Kate Cox. They are together in 1871 and he is too young to be your Benjamin - aged 28 an engine driver b Holmforth.

BlueSavannah
21-08-15, 19:02
Oh that's a real shame, he looked promising. I really appreciate you taking the time to look.