PDA

View Full Version : U D on Birth Certificate

garstonite
18-08-15, 15:32
Hi - can someone please tell me what U D stands for on a Birth Certificate in 1940 ?
born 9th August
73 Barnet Street
U D
I am totally baffled
this young girl was adopted ..but this is written on the extreme right of the Birth Certificate
thanks
Allan

ElizabethHerts
18-08-15, 15:47
Urban District, I think, Allan.

garstonite
18-08-15, 15:57
it is a street in Edge Hill district of Liverpool - do you still think it will mean Urban District ?

kiterunner
18-08-15, 15:59
Yes, Urban District.

garstonite
18-08-15, 16:04
Thanks Kate / Elizabeth ...can I ask another question please - as it was WW2 August 1940 and her husband was away fighting - it gives his Regiment and his Army number on that birth certificate - he is named as the father - but she was adopted within 13 days of birth . Can I find out where the father was in Nov / Dec 1939 by his number and regiment ?? if he was fighting ,it would explain why the baby was adopted - if he wasn't away fighting it leaves me bewildered why she was adopted ??....thanks ...Allan

kiterunner
18-08-15, 16:19
I imagine that if you know his regiment, you would be able to research the activities of that regiment and find out where they were serving at that date. But I don't think the fact that the father was away fighting in the war (if he was) would explain why the baby was adopted anyway, since you say he was married to the mother. Surely a large number of babies were born whose fathers were away fighting, and were not given up for adoption.

garstonite
18-08-15, 16:26
Thanks Kate - strange situation - got me baffled ...

kiterunner
18-08-15, 16:27
I think the adoptee would need to see their adoption file to find out why s/he was given up for adoption as there could be any number of reasons.

garstonite
18-08-15, 17:02
We can't find her ...her sisters are all looking for her - but don't know her adopted name . I have given her sister the adoption link that was given to me on this site on Sensitive Research ....so I will let her sister try to find her adopted name - they are my cousins with the same surname as me ....anyway - thanks for your help ...we will just have to wait and see if we can find her adopted name ....cheers

Olde Crone
18-08-15, 18:59
Allan

I've answered on the other thread but I've just realised what I think you think, lol.

She was not adopted at 13 days old. When someone is legally adopted, the Court instructs the Registrar General to make a note on the birth register that an adoption has taken place. Any certificate issued BEFORE that instruction will not say adopted, any certificate issued AFTER that instruction will say ADOPTED, so it all boils down to what date was the birth certificate ISSUED to you.

I have a friend, born in 1943 (in Liverpool, oddly enough) to a married woman who had a brief affair. She brought him up until her husband returned from the war and said "Him or me" and he was adopted out, aged almost three. His original birth cert was amended to remove the name of his mother's husband because he could prove he was overseas when the child was conceived and the amended birth cert will now show ADOPTED on it and no father's name.

You cannot tell from a birth certificate when someone was adopted.

OC

JBee
18-08-15, 19:44
It was automatically assumed that the father of a child was the woman's husband unless informed otherwise.

garstonite
18-08-15, 20:57
I realised it when you posted on the other thread ...silly custard that I am...