PDA

View Full Version : This is a bit long and complex...

Asa
16-08-15, 07:33
I'm trying to identify a marriage for my ancestors William and Mary Marshall of Huntington, parish of Cannock, Staffordshire and could do with some help please.

William was baptised in 1771 in Penkridge, Staffordshire and is generally described as a Ag lab. In 1841, they are in Huntington both aged 70 and born Staffs. Aggravatingly, they are both buried 7th March 1851 at Cannock aged 80, tantalisingly close to the census. I've identified nine children - Mary, William, Ann, John, Jane, George, Richard, Thomas and Elizabeth.

I think there are two possible marriages, both at St Peter Collegiate, Wolverhampton. This is about 12 miles from Huntington but many people from Cannock and Penkridge married there for some reason, including two of William's brothers.

The first of the two marriages is 15 Apr 1790 between William Marshall & Mary Sambrook, bachelor and spinster of the parish, both of whom sign their names. Witness John Sambrook and a serial witness.

The second is 11th Nov 1792 between William Marshall & Mary Aines?, bachelor and spinster of the parish, both of whom make their mark. Witnesses are regulars.

First identified child Mary was baptised in April 1793. Some of the children sign their name when they marry and some make their mark.

Sambrook is a common name in the parish of Cannock and in the wider area but I can't see a suitable Mary. What I can is that the Mary Sambrook who married William Marshall witnessed the 1788 marriage at St Peter Wolverhampton of Matthew Sambrook and Eleanor Heath. I also think the John Sambrook who witnessed the Marshall -Sambrook marriage may well be the same signature as the John Sambrook (widower) who married Jane Swinney at St Peter Wolverhampton in 1788. These both tie in with a family at Hatherton, parish of Cannock. A John and Mary Sambrook of Hatherton had several children baptised at Cannock - Mary 1760, John 1762, Matthew 1768, Samuel 1771 and Elizabeth 1774, the latter four all marrying at St Peter Wolverhampton. Mary, wife of John of Hatherton is buried in 1788, a month before the Sambrook-Swinney marriage and Jane, wife of John of Hatherton is buried in 1795.

William and Mary Marshall's elder eight children are baptised between 1793 and 1808. Supposing Mary was the Sambrook baptised in 1760, I can accept that she was 11 years older than her husband. I can also accept Mary having children up until she's 48 - I've seen that several times. But the ninth child is baptised in 1815, seven years after the 8th and the details (labourer of Huntington) seem to identify the parents fairly clearly. Of course, by 1815 William and Mary have two daughters who could have been the mother but I've no proof of that. Also, Mary's age in 1841 and at burial in 1851 give a birth date of c1771

Merry
16-08-15, 08:13
What (if anything!) put you off the marriage to Mary Aimes?

Asa
16-08-15, 08:25
Nothing actually, except that I can't see anything on her :-). I suppose I'm drawn to the other marriage because there are connections to Cannock. Also that some of the children can sign their names. But can't rule the other marriage out.

Olde Crone
16-08-15, 09:45
Not much use but

Some people could write their names and some people DIDN'T write their names even though they could. Making your mark is not proof of illiteracy.

OC

Asa
16-08-15, 11:49
I've found that a few times. I guess they were just told to make their mark.

mariegriffiths
31-01-17, 12:17
A John and Mary Sambrook of Hatherton had several children baptised at Cannock - Mary 1760, John 1762, Matthew 1768,
Do you have solid sources for these before I add them to my tree?
I am working back to Matthew 1768 but do not have a record of the mother.

Asa
26-02-17, 17:05
Sorry, I've only just seen your reply. The baptisms for these children are from the parish registers which are on FindMyPast

Do you have solid sources for these before I add them to my tree?
I am working back to Matthew 1768 but do not have a record of the mother.