PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry Moan!

Terri
15-08-15, 09:32
I uploaded my FTM tree to Ancestry a few weeks back. It's a private tree, but I invited 2 people to view it. Neither of them have been able to do so.

So, I sent Ancestry an email explaining this. This is the reply I have just received (quote):

I apologize that this is occurring on your side, I has looked at this account and I checked it you were on the do not email list, you were not. However the invitees might not be recieving them because they are blocked, tell them to call in so we can get this resolved for you Terri. :confused::confused:

Can anyone translate that? PS The invitees are receiving the mails - that's how I know they can't access the tree!

Also, please can I send someone who knows about these things an invite to the tree to see if they can access it, or can figure out why not?
Thank you.

kiterunner
15-08-15, 09:59
"I has looked at this account and I checked it you were on the do not email list, you were not" = "I have looked at this account, and I checked whether you were on the 'do not email' list but you were not".
Also, please can I send someone who knows about these things an invite to the tree to see if they can access it, or can figure out why not?
Thank you.
I'll send you a PM with my ancestry username so you can send me an invitation to view the tree and I'll see if I can access it.

Terri
15-08-15, 10:16
Thank you Kite, I didn't even know there was a do not email list.

Terri
15-08-15, 10:37
You did it!!!! Brilliant!
I am hoping that means that Ancestry have fixed whatever was wrong then. I haven't asked the other invitees today yet and I've no idea what the process is from the invitee end.
THANK YOU KATE, saved the day again! :cool::D

kiterunner
15-08-15, 10:39
Yes, it worked for me and I was able to view your tree.

JBee
15-08-15, 12:12
do they have to have a sub to view your tree?

kiterunner
15-08-15, 12:33
I think so, Julie.

maggie_4_7
15-08-15, 12:51
No they don't the invite email will create a username for them when they follow the link, they need not have a subscription just a username and password.

The invitees wouldn't be able to see actual records that need a subscription to view that were attached to the tree but they can see any media or records attached manually and the timeline of each ancestor profile.

A bit concerned about this response from a large corporation that must have a lot of capital and turnover.

"I apologize that this is occurring on your side, I has looked at this account and I checked it you were on the do not email list, you were not. However the invitees might not be recieving them because they are blocked, tell them to call in so we can get this resolved for you Terri."

They don't seem to have a good command of English or grammar :D which should be a prerequisite for communicating with clients and customers.

Terri
15-08-15, 15:03
Maggie, I was astonished by the reply and I suspect that whoever wrote it doesn't have English as their first language. Are Ancestry now outsourcing part of their customer service department to Calcutta, perhaps????

kiterunner
15-08-15, 15:14
I can see why they rely so heavily on copy-and-paste standard replies now! But it looks to me as though it is written by someone who has English as their first language, but who doesn't know much about punctuation and can't be bothered to check what they have typed.

Margaret in Burton
15-08-15, 17:45
My ancestry sub has lapsed at the moment. Don't think I will re subscribe until I read that things have improved.