PDA

View Full Version : Who is Elizabeth Webster?

Sue from Southend
10-08-15, 18:32
Elizabeth Webster, address 18 Cross Street, Leonard Street, Shoreditch is the informant on the death cert of Ann Webster in Nov 1864. Elizabeth is not as far as I can see at that address in either 1861 or 1871 but in 1871 Benjamin Webster is in Leonard Street, Ann’s husband Joshua had an Uncle named Benjamin born at about the right date.
Can anyone find any link between Elizabeth and Ann, Joshua or Benjamin?

Link to Ann on T2GG http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4437&highlight=ann+benzing

I don't have an Ancestry sub at present but do for FMP.

Thanks

kiterunner
10-08-15, 18:45
The 1861 census has a family called Povey with several servants at 18 Cross Street (the enumerator has put "Called 18 Cross St" so maybe it didn't actually have a house number on it, and of course this means it doesn't come up if you search for 18 Cross on FMP:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbc%2f1861%2f0238%2f00129b&parentid=gbc%2f1861%2f0001496236&highlights=%22%22

No Websters there.

Edit - or is that the wrong Cross Street? Sorry if it is!

Sue from Southend
10-08-15, 18:58
I'm assuming that that is the right Cross St, Kite! I searched on just Cross Street and on Leonard Street with no house numbers. The address is rather confusing as it uses two street names, Benjamin is in Leonard St in 1871 but that may just be a coincidence!

I'm sure I've looked before but could someone just reassure me that Benjamin Webster, father Joshua, didn't marry an Elizabeth? I can't find a marriage on FreeBMD but maybe Ancestry's London Marriages....

kiterunner
10-08-15, 21:56
I can't find a marriage on ancestry.

kiterunner
10-08-15, 22:04
But going by his occupation (same as the Benjamin in Leonard St in 1871), isn't this your Benjamin in 1861, with a wife named Elizabeth?

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbc%2f1861%2f0072%2f00453a&parentid=gbc%2f1861%2f0000463037&highlights=""

132 Oxford St, Marylebone
Benjn Webster Ser Mar 43 Tinplate Worker Bishopgate Midx
Elizabeth Do Wife Mar 45 Umberralla Coverer St Sepulchre "
" Watts Niece 13 Do Do London Middx

kiterunner
10-08-15, 22:20
This is Elizabeth in 1871:
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbc%2f1871%2f0081%2f0072&parentid=gbc%2f1871%2f0000979711&highlights=%22%22
Cancer Hospital, Fulham Rd, Chelsea
Elizabeth Webster Patient Mar 55 Parasol Maker Middlesex St Sepulchres

kiterunner
10-08-15, 22:24
Well, there is this marriage on ancestry, but it is a long time after the 1861 census and his father's name doesn't match with your Benjamin:

8 May 1870 St James the Great, Bethnal Green
Benjamin Webster, full age, bachelor, Tin Plate Worker, Pollard Row, father Benjamin Webster deceased
Elizabeth Jones, full age, widow, Pollard Row, father John Folley deceased
Witnesses Thomas Charles Folley, Emma Edison

kiterunner
10-08-15, 22:29
26 Dec 1843 St Giles without Cripplegate, City of London
Thomas Charles Folley, full age, bachelor, Phillips Court, father John Folley, bricklayer
Mary Ann Watts full age, spinster, Phillips Court, father Edward Watts, pavior
Witnesses Mark Jones, Elizabeth Jones

The surname Watts in there makes me think that the Elizabeth Jones who married Benjamin Webster is the same Elizabeth as the one in 1861 (post #5) although the niece Elizabeth Watts is too young to be a daughter of Mary Ann Watts from before her marriage to Thomas.

Sue from Southend
11-08-15, 08:17
Thank you Kite. Now totally confused!

It looks as though the Benjamin in Leonard St in 1871 is probably not "my" Benjamin, and if the Elizabeth on the death certificate is his "wife" it's just a huge coincidence. I can't find any other Elizabeth marrying into the family.

I had hoped that there was some link because Ann's husband committed suicide less than a year after her death leaving one, possibly two children under five and I can't find them in 1871 :(

I'm finding the FMP census search very frustrating as I can't see a way of searching with a place of birth to narrow down my results. Am I missing a trick?

kiterunner
11-08-15, 09:17
I'm finding the FMP census search very frustrating as I can't see a way of searching with a place of birth to narrow down my results. Am I missing a trick?

You have to select the individual census from their A-Z of record sets and then you will get a search form which includes Birth Town, Birth Place and Birth County. But "St Sepulchres" isn't considered a birth town or a birth place, and birth place / town don't appear on the list of results, only birth county does. I must admit I used ancestry to do my searching and only went to FMP to get the links for you once I had the full census info from ancestry. Maybe someone who uses FMP as their main site can give us some tips?

Sue from Southend
11-08-15, 09:26
Thanks for the tip, Kite. Will give it a try, it's got to be better than looking through every William Webster b 1862!

Seriously considering renewing my Ancestry sub again, the London records are essential for my tree and I'm getting withdrawal symptoms!