PDA

View Full Version : Opinions, please

ElizabethHerts
09-08-15, 08:23
I found this relating to OH's Bigg/Bygge family:

Title: Grant
Reference: DE/K/21956
Description:

By John Bygge the elder of Knebworth, yeoman, to William Sybly, John Catelyn of Kimpton, Edward Wylshyre and John Sybly of a messuage at Knebworth Green etc granted by Assignment in DE/K/21955, to hold to the use of John Bygge the elder for life and afterwards to the use of Thomas Bygge and Joan Day and their heirs.

Witnesses names endorsed. Seal
Date: 16 June 1530
Held by: Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

Do you think Thomas Bygge and Joan Day are about to marry and this messuage is ultimately for them?

vita
09-08-15, 10:40
[QUOTE=ElizabethHerts;304490]I found this relating to OH's Bigg/Bygge family:

Title: Grant
Reference: DE/K/21956
Description:

By John Bygge the elder of Knebworth, yeoman, to William Sybly, John Catelyn of Kimpton, Edward Wylshyre and John Sybly of a messuage at Knebworth Green etc granted by Assignment in DE/K/21955, to hold to the use of John Bygge the elder for life and afterwards to the use of Thomas Bygge and Joan Day and their heirs.[/B]
Witnesses names endorsed. Seal
Date: 16 June 1530
Held by: Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

Do you think Thomas Bygge and Joan Day are about to marry and this messuage is ultimately for them?[/QUOTE

Well, I'm not very experienced Elizabeth & they could well be,but I've got a

similar thing with some of mine & they turn out to be siblings.

ElizabethHerts
09-08-15, 11:18
Thanks, Vita. Yes, that was another possible scenario running through my mind.

Merry
09-08-15, 11:33
I don't know the answer to your question, but there are a lot of Bigg(e)/Byggg(e) refs here:

http://archive.org/stream/hertsgenealogis00briggoog/hertsgenealogis00briggoog_djvu.txt

if you haven't seen them already!!

ElizabethHerts
09-08-15, 11:55
Thanks, Merry, I have been trawling through this not just for the Bigge family but also for the Wilsheres and the Battells.

We have just returned from the parish church of St Mary, Welwyn, where we have been looking at the memorial plaque for the Wilshere family. It gives quite a tree for them, and includes OH's 12x-great-grandfather Thomas and his 13x-great-grandfather William. Apparently the Wilsheres were responsible for building Frythe aisle, where the memorial is placed on the wall.

Merry
09-08-15, 15:07
That's a long way back, Elizabeth! We don't have any double figured greats on our tree. :o

ElizabethHerts
09-08-15, 15:48
That's a long way back, Elizabeth! We don't have any double figured greats on our tree. :o

Merry, 18 months ago I couldn't get further back than OH's 3x-great-grandmother, then I started looking at wills and PRs once FMP had Hertfordshire online, and luckily there are so many wills which have made my job a lot easier.

The plaque basically says what is shown here:
http://www.jefferyknaggs.webspace.virginmedia.com/Frythe.html#App3

See Appendix III.

Phoenix
10-08-15, 08:36
So what did the other document say?

Clearly Thomas and Joan must be about to marry, and John must be older than they are, otherwise Thomas is getting a pretty poor bargain.

Do you suppose Joan is a widow? It reads like part of a marriage settlement, but it's odd that no Days are involved

ElizabethHerts
10-08-15, 08:51
Phoenix, it's another document in the list to view at HALS. I think I shall be a permanent fixture there. They already know me pretty well!