PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to Ancestry search?

ElizabethHerts
07-08-15, 13:49
Today I'm getting a totally different font and page layout.

Yesterday I could search across all probate records, not specifying a court, for a particular surname. Now the option for searching probate has disappeared.
Moan, moan.

ElizabethHerts
07-08-15, 13:51
Found it - down the right-hand side under Wills, Probates, Land, Tax & Criminal. I can't understand why they changed it - it is now harder to find.

kiterunner
07-08-15, 16:37
I presume you have switched to the "new ancestry", Elizabeth. I'm still holding out!

ElizabethHerts
07-08-15, 16:55
I didn't do anything, Kate! It just suddenly appeared.

Merry
07-08-15, 18:23
Mine's still the same as before.

ElizabethHerts
07-08-15, 18:30
My computer has done lots of odd things in the last 48 hours, so it is probably down to that.

Margaret in Burton
07-08-15, 20:49
My ancestry sub has lapsed at the moment. Dreading going back to it.

Mary from Italy
07-08-15, 22:12
I had an e-mail from them today, saying "the refreshed look makes navigation quick and easy, saving you valuable time in your family search". I haven't dared try it out yet.

Just Gillian
08-08-15, 07:56
I had the same email, and, as a compulsive button presser, clicked on "Try it Now" but it opened up to my usual version of Ancestry.

I have a free 6 month Premium sub, via an FTM from ebay, running at the moment, but their marketing system doesn't seem to recognise that I am subscribed so I still get all the please resubscribe emails.

According to a thread on GR, the tree has changed too, but it is still possible (at the moment) to change back to the old version.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1353960

Edit - Update: while I was typing the above, a pop up inviting me to try it now appeared on my Ancestry tree page so I clicked on it. What a lot of silly, inessential "extras" are now included!

e.g Lifestory of Charles Hadrill

"In 1846, Charles Hadrill was living in Langley Burrell during the construction of the Elizabeth Tower and Big Ben." - this is accompanied by a big black and white pic of Big Ben!
"In 1861, Charles Hadrill was living in Langley Burrell when cricket matches were held between British and Australian teams." - with a big pic of a group of men, presumably cricketers, with no description of what the photo is or when it was taken.

I notice Charles and his wife Mary Ann, South Londoners by then, were married in St George, Utah!

His profile facts page now incorporates the birth and death of his parents and siblings, as well as his children. As there were 12 siblings, that makes a lot of stuff to wade through to sort out the essentials!

Fingers crossed I can now return to the old version!