PDA

View Full Version : Red Cross and Military.

HarrysMum
04-08-15, 20:36
I have asked this before but we may have new members who know the answer.

I grew up with my grandfather who was a ANZAC from NZ. He was the most giving, sweet man anyone could know. However, he refused to ever donate to the Red Cross. He'd give to any other charity regardless of religion or type.

I never thought to ask why and he died when I was in my teens. I thought nothing of it until some years ago when I heard the family of a couple of other WW1 veterans saying the same thing. That's possibly when I asked about it.

The other day I was reading an article in a UK magazine where the writer said the same thing about his grandfather and another said it about his father. One was in WW1 and the other in WW2 but this time, both were in Scottish services.

So, now I've heard it from Australian, NZ and Scottish families of servicemen.
Any ideas?

Olde Crone
04-08-15, 21:50
Libby

It seems to be something to do with the Red Cross charging servicemen for "free" doughnuts and coffee and also refusing to serve the lower ranks in some cases.

(I googled: "why do some servicemen dislike the Red Cross". There's quite a bit out there about it!)

OC

HarrysMum
04-08-15, 22:00
Thanks OC.....I didn't quite use those words for Google, but I will now.

I wonder if that was all though.......it seems strange. My grandfather was a stretcher bearer in WW1 and one of the other men who refuse to support them, won a Victoria Cross. I suppose he could have also been in the lower ranks.

***off to google***

Olde Crone
04-08-15, 22:09
I think it was the principle of charging for things which have been paid for by public donation which got up their noses - all ranks, not just the lower ranks.

OC

HarrysMum
04-08-15, 22:13
Just read about that OC, but it was in WW2. Wondering what happened in WW1?

Durham Lady
05-08-15, 05:07
I'd heard that too Libby and like you never thought to ask why. My dad until the day he died always said the only ones worth giving too was the Salvation Army.

HarrysMum
05-08-15, 05:33
Daphne.....my grandfather gave to anyone except the Red Cross, but his favourite was the Salvos.

I know you read The People's Friend, Daphne. We are ages behind in it over here, but that was where I read about the second Scottish person to refuse to give to them. It was in The Farmer and His Wife. I'd only heard another a few days before reading that.

Olde Crone
05-08-15, 09:04
I think it was the same thing in WW1 - they sometimes would only serve Officers and above. This was not in the spirit in which the money was given and many people were outraged to find that (like most charities today) there was a tier of paid staff.

I've recently read a book about a man who was in Changi pow camp. He is very scathing about the RC, who sent in food parcels for the Officers but not the men.

The Red Cross undoubtedly did marvellous work and still does, but there is a huge difference between the volunteers and the organisation.

The Sally Army is popular with servicemen (and me!) because it helps EVERYONE and all donations go directly to the cause.

OC