PDA

View Full Version : John Jr

Kit
29-07-15, 13:25
This is about my Crawford's again.

Somewhere I read something that called John John Jr, which I took to mean his father was also John.

I've now found a Boyd's Inhabitants of London page for John, which says his father is Andrew.

Is there a mistake, either in the Jr part or father's name, or could the Jr mean someone else, for example a grandfather or uncle?

Boyd's is quite detailed. I don't know where the information comes from.

Boyd's Inhabitants (http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbor%2fbil%2fsog133%2f0319&parentid=gbprs%2fbil%2f00574039&highlights=%22%22)

kiterunner
29-07-15, 15:12
Boyd's Inhabitants is not always correct. Sometimes he assumed a relationship between two people without proof. But jr wasn't always used for son, sometimes it could be grandson or nephew.

Kit
29-07-15, 21:33
Thanks Kate.

I have found a Boyd's entry for Andrew, the supposed father for John and Andrew's father is John so that could explain the John Jr.

It also lists a sister Euphemia, for John Jr, who I had come across before and wondered if it was a sister of John's. John's son James also has a daughter Euphemia and as James has named most of his children after relatives I did wonder if the older Euphemia was mine.

I'll keep checking Scotlands people and familysearch to see if they agree.