PDA

View Full Version : Wills and Scotland's People

Kit
25-07-15, 12:33
I'm looking for a will for a Joseph Tucker who died in Scotland about 1780. His son-in-law placed a notice in the newspaper asking for all creditors to the estate to contact by a certain date. Can I assume there was a will?

Next thing is I can't find it on Scotland's People so does that mean there wasn't actually a will or that SP doesn't have all wills or that it might be somewhere else?

kiterunner
25-07-15, 13:08
You can't assume there was a will because of the newspaper notice, unless it actually states that there was one?

Scotland's People has a page of information about reasons why you might not find a will that you are searching for:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/faqs/questions/index.aspx?652

ElizabethHerts
25-07-15, 14:38
There is a 1780 PCC will for a Joseph Tucker of St Martin in the Fields on Ancestry. A coincidence?

Was the son-in-law Richard Pratt?

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/5111/40611_310214-00541/?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=5111&iid=40611_310214-00541&fn=Joseph&ln=Tucker&st=d&ssrc=&pid=511735#?imageId=40611_310214-00541

kiterunner
25-07-15, 16:12
The newspaper notice is on Findmypast / British Newspaper Archive, Elizabeth:

NOTICE
ALL Persons having Claims against the Estate of Mr JOSEPH TUCKER, merchant, Greenock, are desired to given them in to John Crawford, jun. in Port Glasgow, (the curator appointed upon said estate) on or before the first day of March next, otherwise their claims will not be sustained. And all who are indebted to the said estate are desired to make payment to the said John Crawford, or Mr William Humphry the factor at Greenock, betwixt and the above period, otherwise they will be prosecuted.
Caledonian Mercury 22 Jan 1780

ElizabethHerts
25-07-15, 16:28
What a shame, I was hoping there might be a connection.

Kit
25-07-15, 23:41
Thanks for the link Kate, I'll have a look.

Elizabeth I can't see the will as I don't have ancestry at the moment. I don't know about any Pratt's but I only know for sure that Joseph had one child, Jean.

familysearch have about 3 other children, with mother Margaret Montgomery, all around the 1760s but the only marriage I can find is to a Jean Montgomery in 1727, which seems a bit too far away.

I was hoping any will would name Jean so I'd know it was the right one.

It is possible that Joseph's will was proved in England as Jean's father in law had his will proved in both England and Scotland, although I can't find the English one, and I don't know why it was proved in both countries.