PDA

View Full Version : How to use Scotlands People?

geniebug
08-12-09, 04:47
Whilst I am not a paid user, I just wanted to check something out in Scotlands People. It has found 6 entries for me to look at, but the site is sort of hidden by some typing - I recall many years ago I had this problem and just forget how I can see the entries.

Can someone make head or tail of what I am saying, and help - please ;)

kiterunner
08-12-09, 07:17
Sorry, don't really understand what you mean about being hidden by some typing, but as far as I know, unless the entries you want to look at are a list of wills or of coats of arms, you can't look at them without buying credits. Or are you doing the free surname search? In which case if you post up what surname it is, and the year range, I could tell you what the matches are that it finds.

geniebug
08-12-09, 09:15
Kiterunner - I thought it might have been difficult to explain, so have made an attachment, and arrowed the problem.

What I'm trying to find out is confirmation of a marriage between William Laughlan and Jane Stewart c. 1826 in the Renf/Glasgow area or - I guess, in Ireland..

Thier son, also William - born 1827 Drumachose, Co. Derry Ireland obviously married a woman and they had a child Samuel born obviously around 1851 - this woman must have died, as he then appears to marry a Jane Grieve 16 Oct 1855 In Partick - So would like to find the birth of Samuel and the marriage of William Laughland born 1827 to a woman unknown c. 1850. I only want to look up the free marriages, births & death and this stage.

As you can see there were a few options I could have looked at on the attached page, but I could not open them.

Laughlan and Grieve have been spelt all manner of ways, including Lanchlan, Lauchlan - Grive, Greive (just to make it harder) :)

Seems the attachment didnt attach itself :(

kiterunner
08-12-09, 09:27
I'm not sure what date range you were looking at, but if you search for surname Laughlan 1826-1827 it comes back with:
OPR births & christenings - 1
OPR banns & marriages - none
OPR deaths & burials - 1
Catholic births & baptisms - 1
wills & testaments - 1
arms & heraldry - 15

kiterunner
08-12-09, 09:29
Oh, or if you were searching 1850-1851 the results for Laughlan are:
census 1851 - 78
OPR births & christenings - 1
OPR banns & marriages - none
OPR deaths & burials - 1
Catholic births & baptisms - 2
wills & testaments - none
arms & heraldry - 16

geniebug
08-12-09, 09:39
Is any of this available to look at free - to make sure its the family Im looking for? and if so, how am I to look at them (if you see my attachment)

kiterunner
08-12-09, 09:40
No, you have to pay to view those.

geniebug
08-12-09, 09:42
Ok thanks Kiterunner - bit risky I guess, if I'm not sure it's the right family.

kiterunner
08-12-09, 09:47
You can use the date ranges to narrow the results down without paying, and if you select a date range of 1830 to 1854 for that search you did, there are no matches.

kiterunner
08-12-09, 09:53
Oh, sorry, I forgot you were also looking for a William Laughlan marriage around 1826. There is one 23rd June 1825. You can usually find Scottish marriages for that period on FamilySearch but I can't see it on there. Of course the "soundex" option on Scotland's People may come up with surnames that FamilySearch doesn't consider to be variants. But anyway, Scotland's People doesn't have a marriage for Jane Stewart on the same date.

geniebug
08-12-09, 09:54
Ok Kiterunner - did you look at the attachment, and can you explain why I couldn't see what I was looking for - it didn't actually say that I had to pay for that particular information, but I could not open it.

kiterunner
08-12-09, 09:57
I did look at the attachment, and the "view" button seems to be hidden, but if you could see it, it would say "View (1 credit)". The view button is that thing you pointed to with the arrow.

geniebug
08-12-09, 09:59
Actually I do have the marriage cet for William L & Jane Grieve (16 Oct 1855) - I was looking for an earlier marriage to unknown woman, and birth of Samuel around 1851. Also, wanted to confirm marriage of older William L to Jane Stewart - their particular marriage was around 1826

Thanks for checking Kiterunner, I appreciate it. Think I better put it back in the too hard box lol

geniebug
08-12-09, 10:00
I did look at the attachment, and the "view" button seems to be hidden, but if you could see it, it would say "View (1 credit)". The view button is that thing you pointed to with the arrow.

Thanks for this Kiterunner - No wonder I could not see it lol

ElizabethHerts
08-12-09, 10:00
In fact Geniebug has highlighted a most infuriating problem that I also have when using Scotlands People.

If you look at her attachment, to where the arrow points, there is the blue button to click on. You will see that it is only just visible and is hidden behind the other information. When I have credits and try to click on it, sometimes I can't because I can't get hold of it - there is not enough of it visible to click on.

I wondered if I was the only person with this problem, but apparently not!:)

kiterunner
08-12-09, 10:02
Also, wanted to confirm marriage of older William L to Jane Stewart - their particular marriage was around 1826

I suspect they may have married in Ireland if their son was born in Ireland as FamilySearch says, but I can't see a likely entry on the Irish Family History Foundation site.

ElizabethHerts
08-12-09, 10:04
Thanks for this Kiterunner - No wonder I could not see it lol

Can you click on it? Sometimes I can't. (see other post) In fact, I had this problem yesterday when I wanted to view something I'd already paid for.

geniebug
08-12-09, 10:09
In fact Geniebug has highlighted a most infuriating problem that I also have when using Scotlands People.

I'm glad Im not the only one too Elizabeth. I first noticed it about 3-4 years ago, but haven't looked at it since, meanwhile my points expired. :mad: no, I could not click on it at all.

I wonder if someone should mention it to S/People?

I suspect they may have married in Ireland if their son was born in Ireland as FamilySearch says,

I wondered how the name was spelt in Ireland then :o - It changed again when grandfather came to Australia.