PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever just known ...

Kit
20-07-15, 02:43
that the information you are looking at belongs to your family but you can't prove it?

I've been looking on FMPs newspapers for one of my elusive ancestors and found something that I just felt was him but there wasn't enough information. So I started googling instead and found books reporting the same thing in the newspapers, still with not enough information.

Just before I went to bed I found a book that also reported the court case but this time it mentioned more names than just my James!!!

Now if the man in the book is not my man I'll eat the book if someone can find a paper copy. It appears my James named his 3 sons after himself and his 2 brothers and his daughter after his mother, Mum's maiden name being the unusual middle name that proves it.

JBee
20-07-15, 09:12
That is frustrating Toni.

Could it be in the British Library? www.bl.uk

People often did this to ensure the names carried on especially in Scotland.

Usually though the first child died so the next got the same name. However sometimes that didn't happen but the children were then known by their middle names.

Kit
20-07-15, 09:56
oh Julie, I don't actually want the book, I've got what I need from it online. :d

I'm had the feeling the newspaper items were mine but there was no proof. This book has so much more information, I'm sure the people are mine now.

Shona
21-07-15, 18:44
Toni, there does seem to be a lot of info about the Crawford family in various legal books and in the records of the House of Lords - particularly John Crawford and Jean Tucker. If you post some further details, I could take a look. Also been reading about Joseph Tucker Crawford.

Kit
21-07-15, 21:52
ok Shona you asked for it. :d

I have seen a fair bit of stuff but until I found the last book there was nothing that showed me it was the right family.

John Crawford married Jean Tucker in 1777 in Greenock Renfrew Scotland. I think the Port Glasgow entry was announcing the upcoming marriage.

John has been recorded as John Jr in some documents, so his father is John. I bought John's settlement and it states he has a brother James. I'm unclear whether this James had died by 1813 when John died.

John and Jean had at least 8 children, the following were mentioned in John Jr's will.

James (I've referred to him as my James elsewhere) b 1783, Joseph Tucker b 1791, Agnes b 1794, Jane b 1796, Stephen Rowan b 1798, Margaret b 1802 and John Bute (known as Bute in John Jrs settlement) b 1804.

My James is supposed to be dead by 1836 as he is recorded as deceased at his daughters wedding. I'm wondering if this is true. I'm unable to find a death for him and he was alive, I think, in 1833 during the court case about his fathers company and the bankruptcy.

My James married Sarah Russell and had children James, Joseph Tucker, Jean Tucker among others.

I have to get the kids ready so will be back.

While I remember Steven Rowan, Bute, and someone called William Crawford are all mentioned on Jean Tucker Crawford's settlement in 1850 something and are said to be out of the UK. Not sure who William is but 2 others who are sons in law are mentioned so I wonder if one of the girls married a cousin. I haven't finished reading that document yet.

Kit
21-07-15, 23:53
My James (b 1783) and wife Sarah had 9 chidren:

Elizabeth b 1807, John b 1808, David Russell (b 1810, my direct relative, went to India, left my 2g grandmother there as she was part Indian :( ), Jean Tucker b 1811, James b 1812, Euphemia b 1813, Joseph Tucker b 1818, Marion Stirling b 1820 and Andrew not known when born, died before 1854 (not sure how I know that).

There are no records of deaths in Port Glasgow before 1855 so unless there are wills or newspapers or some other published records we don't know when people died.

I'm going to finish Jean's papers. I'm hoping she will mention My James or his children to help narrow things down.

Kit
22-07-15, 08:47
Almost 12 pages of will and my James is covered in 2 or 3 lines, leaving one seventh of everything to his wife, or surviving children if Sarah dies before Jean. :(

The last almost 2 pages were about removing daughter Jane's husband as executor and depriving him of his share and giving it to her surviving children or grandchildren.

Shona
22-07-15, 20:59
Fascinating family. Have made lots of notes. Will read through to see if any help you to confirm your suspicions.

Kit
23-07-15, 04:32
Shona I am sure now.

Jean Tucker Crawford's will mentions her deceased son James and his wife Sarah Russell.

I know about James and Sarah, it was James' parents I was not sure on so that confirms it for me.

If you have found anything to give more information about the family please let me know.

I'm going to have to go back and retrace my discarded googles as I now know some of them are relevant!!