PDA

View Full Version : What do you do

JBee
17-07-15, 08:50
if you have several possibilities for a certificate you need?

You used to be able to stipulate what info ie wife's name etc to the GRO but does that apply now?

Would going direct to a Registrar's be better and would they be willing to check a number of entries.

I'm looking for a death which could be in Leeds or Bradford. There's 7 for Leeds and 2 for Bradford and it might be none of them as he died before the 1841 census.

JayG
17-07-15, 09:07
I would use the local office rather than the GRO.

Can you rule out any of the possibilities with burials?

kiterunner
17-07-15, 09:08
Have you looked for burials, Julie?

A death cert won't always give the wife's name.

On the GRO site it says "(If you aren't supplying a GRO Reference and don't know the exact date of event you can enter a year to be searched - we will search the specified year and one either side)".

Then if you say the GRO Reference is not known and select to order a death cert, these are the fields you can enter, with * for the required fields:

Year death was registered
Surname of deceased *
Forenames of deceased *
Date of death (dd/mm/yyyy) *
(If you do not know the exact date enter 01/01/yyyy, we will search the specified year and one either side)
Age at death in years
(for infants less than 1 year please state 0)
Place of death or last known address *
Occupation of deceased
Marital status (if female)

But if your date range is 1837-1841 it would not all be covered on one of these.

I had a look at Yorkshire BMD but they don't seem to have indexed age at death for Leeds or Bradford for those years.

JBee
17-07-15, 09:43
Thanks Jay & Kite

Couldn't see a burial for him and I don't know how old he was anyway - his wife was born 1801

Much appreciated for GRO info especially for the future

I will try Bradford first as there's only 2 for there and that's where his widow was living in 1841.

Shame the marriage only has their names, no age or parents.

Phoenix
17-07-15, 10:13
does the Calverley site still exist? this had a lot of Leeds/ Bradford information for the period.

JBee
17-07-15, 10:50
Don't know but just realise it was the Banns I saw for the marriage not the actual event so didn't have parents or ages.

Have now ordered death certificate from the Bradford Registrars giving them the two possibles so fingers crossed.

Kit
18-07-15, 07:12
What is the Calverly site please Phoenix?

I have lots of people from those areas.

Lindsay
18-07-15, 12:16
There's this one, Kit (not sure if it's the one Phoenix meant) -

http://www.calverley.info/

Mainly info for Calverley parish, which includes places like Pudsey and Idle. It's a brilliant site.

Kit
19-07-15, 00:55
Thanks Lindsay. :d

JBee
19-07-15, 15:29
Thanks for the Calverley link - it might just hold the clue to my Yorkshire lot. Unfortunately some of them decided on adult baptism if at all.