PDA

View Full Version : Jonas Gorton - Latin help needed please

Elderflower
15-07-15, 11:06
I have a will/inventory/administration document (not sure what it is) that is in Latin script. I have spent quite a lot of time with Google translator but have not been able to really get a translation that is of any use. I would like to post the document on here to see if anyone can help but cannot find any information on how to post it.

Can someone give me step by step instructions please so that I can get the image on the forum?

Thanks in advance.

Pat

Merry
15-07-15, 11:49
Hi Pat,

You would first need to upload your image to an image hosting site such as Photobucket. Then it's one simple step to link to the image from here.

Elderflower
15-07-15, 11:52
Thanks Merry, will do that later today as I am about to leave the FHC and go to the supermarket.

Pat

Elderflower
15-07-15, 18:05
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af290/Elderflower2/Jonas%20Gorton%20Will.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/Elderflower2/media/Jonas%20Gorton%20Will.jpg.html)

Hope I have managed to upload a readable picture of the document in question.

I have found two burials for people named Jonas Gorton. My 6th & 7th Great Grandfather had this name and they both lived in Ampney Crucis, Gloucestershire.

The burials are on 14 August 1731 and 11 December 1731 and I would like to identify the burial that relates to these men. I have a document that Ancestry has labelled a Will and it's in Latin. The Will mentions the wife, Margaret, of the 6th Jonas. But I need to know more of the script so that I can identify the more likely burial for this Jonas. I think the date on the document is 17 Sept 1731 - but I could be incorrect. A later document, in 1808, states he died intestate, so this one might not be a will but could be an administration document and written after his death.

Is there anyone who can help with the translation please?

Pat

Phoenix
15-07-15, 18:33
Somebody else can translate properly, but it looks as if it is saying that Margaret turned up to state that Jonas had died intestate, that she was the widow and relict and promised to administer his estate properly. It is certainly not a will, nor the sort of wording you would get for probate.

Phoenix
15-07-15, 18:35
The inventory was made 27 September 1731.

Phoenix
15-07-15, 18:38
Ah, you missed the second page of the administration, which is largely in English and has her mark.

kiterunner
15-07-15, 18:40
Yes, the date is 17 Sep 1731, and it looks to me as though it is saying that he died intestate and that Margaret was granted administration of his estate as his widow. Near the beginning of the third line is "abintestato" which I think should be "ab intestato" i.e. by intestacy.

(sorry, was posting at the same time as Phoenix)

Elderflower
15-07-15, 20:02
Thank you so much everyone for your input. This will really help as this means he cannot be the Jonas who died in December but must be the one who died in August.

I will look again at the source of the document and look at the second page.

Thank you again.

Pat