PDA

View Full Version : Henry Jessemey

Lindsay
12-07-15, 13:35
I'm looking for the baptism of Henry William Edwards Jessemey to confirm whether he is, really, a Jessemey (Jessamy/Jessmei etc). Here's a link to his TOGG3 thread:
http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9534&highlight=jessemey

HWEJ was born 1809 in Bristol (1851 census - probably wrong as it's ditto'd from the line above), 1811 in Bath (1861), or 1810 in Bath (1871).

On his marriage cert his father is George Jessamy, shoemaker, who was born in Dublin, possibly into a military family. George married Hannah Kite of Batheaston, Somerset in 1812 in Pennicuik, Scotland ie about 2 years after Henry's birth, when George was in the Cambridge militia. He'd joined up about 6 months previously.

HWEJ's middle name of Edwards is a mystery to me - not found on Hannah's tree, or George's although I've only gone back one generation there.

Over the years I've looked for HWEJ's baptism under Jessamy, Kite and Edwards in Somerset, the rest of England, and Scotland without success. I've also tried Ireland, as the Militia moved to Belfast at the end of 1812.

The first child I've found for George and Hannah was born in Colchester, Essex in 1816, about the time the Militia was disbanded.

Just to confuse things further one of the witnesses to HWEJ's Will in 1857 was Henry Francis Edwards of 1 Amwell Terrace Pentonville. I couldn't find any trace of him.

kiterunner
12-07-15, 16:25
The 1856 London street directory has a James Walker, esq, at 1 Amwell Terrace. Not much help, I realise, but just so we don't look it up again!

I remember looking for Henry's baptism before and not finding anything. I've just had another try but no luck, sorry.

Merry
12-07-15, 16:45
James Walker died 9 Dec 1856 at Amwell Terrace, Myddeltou Square. (fmp newspapers)

Merry
12-07-15, 17:01
Henry and Sophia Flear and their children are at 1 Amwell Terrace in 1861.

Merry
12-07-15, 17:05
Do you think Henry Francis Edwards is the one b 1809-ish in Plymouth (d 1891 Clerkenwell)? His first wife was from Bath - forgotten her name now - Mary Upstill?

Lindsay
12-07-15, 17:57
Thanks, Merry, you could be right, and he sounds like the type of person HWEJ would have known - a clerk, and later a Methodist minister. If so, the Bath connection is interesting. Upstill isn't a name I recognise, but I'll have a look around to see if I can find a connection.

Merry
12-07-15, 18:02
Annoyingly, his second marriage in 1855 to Maria Wells, doesn't seem to be an LMA one. Probably reg office or Mathodist perhaps. I can't find his baptism so knowing his father's name might have helped.

Lindsay
12-07-15, 18:27
According to the Marriage Locator 'The entry is located between entries for Walworth St Peter (RD: Newington) and Brixton St Matthew (RD: Lambeth)', which doesn't help much!

Merry
14-07-15, 09:37
Apologies if you have this already, but I just noticed

Charles Kite married Mary Ann Jessemy in 1852 at All Saints Paddington (LMA)

Mary Ann was b in Colchester about 1821/22 according to her 1861 census entry.

Presume they are first cousins as Mary Ann is the dau of George Jessemy, shoemaker and Charles is the son of George Knowles Kite, who I imagine is Hannah Kite's brother?

Doesn't help with much else though!

Merry
14-07-15, 09:42
I see there are some other marriages for the children of George Jessemy in the LMA records, so I'm guessing you have those too. (Isabella and David)

Lindsay
14-07-15, 11:38
Thanks for looking - yes, the Jessamys going forward are quite well documented.

If it wasn't for HWEJ's marriage where he named his father (July 1837, so I'm luck to have that!) I wouldn't have anything to link him to George and Hannah at all.