PDA

View Full Version : The Plowright sisters

ElizabethHerts
09-07-15, 10:39
I have established that my 4x-great-grandfather William Plowright had three daughters - Sarah, Mary and Hannah.

On the 1851 Census sisters Mary Pond and Hannah Plowright are living together. Both state they were born in Cambridgeshire. In 1854 at Hannah's burial her age is given as 77 but she is only 60 on the 1851 census, when Mary Pond is 65.

Their elder sister Sarah Plowright married John Appleton at Shoreditch in 1793. So she was probably born c. 1770. She died in 1811.

I can find individual girls' baptisms but can find all three baptised to the same family with father William. Are they out there?

Phoenix
09-07-15, 11:19
Silly questions:

Do you know where William came from?

Are the girls recorded in a will in the order you have given?

Was Hannah buried in London? - her age at death might have been hastily written down in rough and a 2 mistranscribed as a 7. Her death certificate might be more accurate.

Do you have them in 1841?

ElizabethHerts
09-07-15, 11:26
Thanks for the questions, Phoenix - they are the same as those I have been asking myself!

I have found them! Three cheers for Cambridgeshire FHS!
When I searched I found some of the girls at Milton, but not all of them.

Then I found the Cambridgeshire FHS website and they have an excellent search facility. I found all the names at Milton and it directed me to the transcription of the registers for the parish. I paid £8 to download it and now have all the girls plus extra!! Also, I have their father William's baptism:

1770 Jun 24 Plowright Sarah dau of William and Ann privately baptised
1772 May 24 John (plus more details)
1774 Sep 4 Mary plus details
1777 Hannah plus details
1783 Elizabeth plus details.

I'm chuffed to find Elizabeth as an Elizabeth Plowright was a witness to the marriage of her sister Mary Plowright to William Pond.

Merry
09-07-15, 12:23
There's a marriage for Wm Plowright to Ann Wilkin at Cambridge, but it's in 1772! :eek: (FS)

ElizabethHerts
09-07-15, 12:37
Yes, I saw that, Merry! I was wondering/hoping it might be a mistranscription!!