PDA

View Full Version : Mary Kinloch-Honey, wife of Arthur Charles Heath

ElizabethHerts
22-06-15, 21:50
I have been tidying up a part of my tree and adding extra information found since I last researched this branch.

Arthur Charles Heath, son of Robert and Jane Heath, died aged 30 in 1887 from an overdose of chloroform.

I didn't have his probate when I researched him, and but it appears he had a wife.

"13 December. The Will of Arthur Charles Heath late of St George's-place Knightsbridge in the County of Middlesex and of Clapham in the County of Surrey Hatter who died 5 August 1887 at Clapham was proved at the Principal Registry by Mary Kinloch-Honey of the Manse Inchture in the County of Perth in North Britain Widow the sole Executrix. Probate being granted under certain limitations."

I'm really curious about this woman. Did they have children? I take it that Kinloch-Honey was her maiden name.

ElizabethHerts
22-06-15, 21:52
The only mention of Arthur in his father's will of 1903 is regarding his illegitimate son:

17. I devise to my trustees my freehold messuages and premises formerly known as 115 and 116 but no as Nos 61 and 63 Victoria Street Westminster Upon trust to collect and receive the rents and profits thereof and to pay and apply the same for the education advancement and preferment in life of the lad known as Harry Jeffcoat (otherwise Clarke) stated to be the natural child of Jane Jeffcoat daughter of the late John Daniel Jeffcoat by my deceased son Arthur Charles Heath until he shall attain the age of thirty years and upon the said Harry Jeffcoat attaining such age to convey such freehold messuages and premises to him absolutely but if he shall die before attaining that age such hereditaments shall sink into and form part of my residuary estate.

The widow of another son who died was given an annuity.

kiterunner
22-06-15, 22:21
It doesn't say that she was his widow, just that she was a widow, Elizabeth.

kiterunner
22-06-15, 22:32
There is a George Kinloch Honey, writer (i.e. lawyer) who died in 1845 in Perth. His will is available on Scotland's People. Also a baptism for him (or someone else of the same name) in 1814. His parents were John Honey and Ann Lumsdaine Adamson (from FamilySearch).

Then a Margaret Kinlock Honey married a William Gardiner in 1893 at St George Hanover Square, London, according to FamilySearch (edit - I think this is just from the GRO index as they are the only two on the page).

Merry
23-06-15, 06:25
There are some Adamson Honeys living at the Manse Of The Parish Church Of Inchture across various censuses. Just put *Honey and Inchture as your search criteria. I don't have time to look at them now!

ElizabethHerts
23-06-15, 06:33
It doesn't say that she was his widow, just that she was a widow, Elizabeth.

Well spotted, Kate. It was late when I posted this and I was copying from the will website.

ElizabethHerts
23-06-15, 06:44
I am still wondering why Arthur didn't appoint a family member or business associate as executor.

ElizabethHerts
23-06-15, 07:34
Aha, I have found a George Kinloch Honey:

Name: George Kinloch Honey
Christening Date:
Christening Place:
Birth Date: 20 Jun 1814
Birthplace: SCONE,PERTH,SCOTLAND
Father's Name: John Honey
Mother's Name: Ann Lumsdaine Adamson
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11394-4
System Origin: Scotland-ODM
GS Film number: 1040138
Reference ID:

So he could be brother to John Adamson Honey.

ElizabethHerts
23-06-15, 07:39
George Kinloch Honey died in a fishing accident in 1845:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=18450618&id=1ElEAAAAIBAJ&sjid=0LEMAAAAIBAJ&pg=3774,1787899&hl=en

kiterunner
23-06-15, 07:39
See post #4, Elizabeth.

ElizabethHerts
23-06-15, 07:46
Thanks, Kate. I read this then promptly forgot it!
I still can't find a Mary Kinloch Honey. I would have thought she would be a younger generation than George, but who knows.

It's not a direct branch of my tree so I hadn't planned on buying the will, but I mght have to if I can't find the connection!

ElizabethHerts
23-06-15, 07:54
In 1841 George K Honey was living at 69, George Street, Perth, Perthshire, Scotland with James M Honey and Jane Coutts.

kiterunner
23-06-15, 09:59
From the British Newspaper Archive:

Dundee Courier 18 April 1887
INCHTURE
THE LATE MR G A HONEY.- On Saturday afternoon the remains of the late Mr George Augustus Kinloch Honey were interred in the churchyard. The deceased was the eldest son of the Rev Dr Honey, and was in business in Manila. He had only been a few months married, and while on a stay at St Leonard's-on-Sea had taken ill...

there is quite a bit more but it doesn't mention his wife's name.

kiterunner
23-06-15, 10:02
Ah, the marriage is on FreeBMD and George Augustus K Honey married Margaret Macgregor Oct-Dec 1886 in Chelsea, so she is likely the Margaret Kinlock Honey who married William Gardiner in 1893. I wonder whether Mary in the probate could possibly be a mistake and is supposed to be Margaret, or is there a Mary still to be found?

kiterunner
23-06-15, 10:12
London Standard 31 Dec 1886
HONEY - MacGREGOR.- Dec 30, at St Columba's Church, Belgravia, by the Rev John Adamson Honey, DD of Inchture, father of the bridegroom, assisted by the Rev Donald Macleod, MA, of St Columba, George Augustus Kinloch Honey, of Manila, to Margaret, second surviving daughter of the late Robert MacGregor, of Kinloch Rannoch, and sister of Dr Donald MacGregor, of Clapham-rise, London.

ElizabethHerts
23-06-15, 10:14
I have been wondering if Margaret and Mary were the same person. Thanks, Kate, I have visitors this morning but will look at the details asap.

ElizabethHerts
23-06-15, 10:53
Here is an account of Arthur Charles Heath's death:

The Morning Post, Tuesday, August 9th 1887

DEATH FROM AN OVERDOSE OF CHLOROFORM
Last evening Mr. S. F. Langham held an inquest at St. John’s Lodge, Clapham-rise, on the body of Arthur Charles Heath, aged 30, who died from the effects of chloroform. – Mr. Robert Heath, hat manufacturer, stated that his son was of a bright and cheerful disposition, but latterly had suffered from neuralgia. Witness also suffered from the same malady, and to alleviate the pain used chloroform. His son also used the drug, which he had by him in a small bottle. On Friday morning the housemaid found his son lying in bed, dead. In his right hand he held a pocket handkerchief, which was placed over the mouth and nose, and from which he had inhaled a quantity of chloroform. A bottle containing chloroform was found over a mirror on the mantel piece. – After some further evidence, Dr. S. W. Holt stated that death was due to poisoning by an overdose of chloroform, and the jury returned a verdict of death by misadventure.

I wonder how he knew the Honey family.

I find it interesting that the inquest was held in the family home.

Merry
23-06-15, 11:11
Here (http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/2352/rg14_01172_0115_05/2350861?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk %2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fdb%3d1911england%26so%3d2%26pcat%3 dROOT_CATEGORY%26gss%3dangs-g%26new%3d1%26rank%3d1%26msT%3d1%26MS_AdvCB%3d1%26 gsfn%3dmargaret%26gsfn_x%3d1%26gsln%3dgardiner%26g sln_x%3d1%26mswpn__ftp_x%3d1%26msbdy%3d1863%26msbd y_x%3d1%26msbdp%3d2%26msbpn__ftp_x%3d1%26gskw_x%3d 1%26_83004002_x%3d1%26cpxt%3d1%26cp%3d11%26catbuck et%3drstp%26MSAV%3d2%26uidh%3d672&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults)is Margaret Gardiner in 1911. I can't see her in 1901.

ElizabethHerts
23-06-15, 11:22
More about George Augustus Kinloch Honey:

Dundee Advertiser 24 May 1887
THE LATE MR G. A. K. HONEY, OF INCHTURE
The following translations of exracts from Manila papers referring to the death of Mr G. A. K. Honey, son of the Rev. Dr Honey, of Inchture, will be interesting as showing the high esteem in which Mr Honey was held in the Philippine Islands. The extracts are taken from the Manila papers of April 15. It may be mentioned that on receipt of the news all pending balls, receptions, and entertainments generally among the Bristish inhabitants were postponed for a time. The Oceania of Manila, of date 15th April, says: - “The well-known commercial house of Smith, Bell, & Co. received a telegram yesterday morning from Liverpool giving notice of the sudden death of one of its members – Mr George A. K. Honey. Mr Honey, who was a person of great accomplishments, and who enjoyed the consideration, respect, and esteem of his numerous friends in this city, where for eighteen years he resided, was preparing to ruturn in a short time to resume his positon at the head of the house. He died in the “flower of his age”, and this when fortune seemed to smile upon him, for he leaves a young widow who was yet a bride. As soon as this unhappy news reached the ears of the different Consuls they hosited their flags to half-mast in token of their sorrow, and in deferential respect also to the memory of Mr Honey, who wsas in life Danish Consul in this capital. We send our heartfelt sympathy to the family of the deceased, and wish its members the necessary resignation to overcome such a sad blow.” The Diario of the same date made the following announcement:- “Yesterday a telegram was received from Europe announching the death of Mr G. A. K. Honey, Consul for Denmark in our islands, and manager of the house of Messrs. Smith, Bell, & Co., of this place. No one yesterday heard this news without being greatly affected, because Mr Honey ws highly beloved for his many beautiful qualities. All the Consulates raised their flags to half-mast in token of his death. Mr Honey had just been recently married, and leaves a young widow to mourn his loss. We send both the house of Smith, Bell, & Co. and the deceased’s family our expressions of sympatahy in their sad bereavement.”

ElizabethHerts
23-06-15, 11:24
Here (http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/2352/rg14_01172_0115_05/2350861?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk %2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fdb%3d1911england%26so%3d2%26pcat%3 dROOT_CATEGORY%26gss%3dangs-g%26new%3d1%26rank%3d1%26msT%3d1%26MS_AdvCB%3d1%26 gsfn%3dmargaret%26gsfn_x%3d1%26gsln%3dgardiner%26g sln_x%3d1%26mswpn__ftp_x%3d1%26msbdy%3d1863%26msbd y_x%3d1%26msbdp%3d2%26msbpn__ftp_x%3d1%26gskw_x%3d 1%26_83004002_x%3d1%26cpxt%3d1%26cp%3d11%26catbuck et%3drstp%26MSAV%3d2%26uidh%3d672&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults)is Margaret Gardiner in 1911. I can't see her in 1901.

Thanks, Merry.

ElizabethHerts
23-06-15, 11:24
It is very interesting that George A. K. Honey was Danish Consul.

Olde Crone
23-06-15, 11:32
I don't think you can draw much of a conclusion from the fact that the inquest was held at his home - if it was the largest place around then it made sense to hold it there, rather than in some cramped pub or inn or public rooms.

On the other hand, those of a cynical nature like myself, would think that holding the inquest at home would ensure a sympathetic view of the events and lead to a blameless conclusion of accidental death. Chloroform was used as a recreational drug, let's say and although the death was certainly accidental, the circumstances surrounding it might not have been as innocent as the official version of events.

OC

ElizabethHerts
23-06-15, 12:21
HONEY - MacGREGOR.- Dec 30, at St Columba's Church, Belgravia, by the Rev John Adamson Honey, DD of Inchture, father of the bridegroom, assisted by the Rev Donald Macleod, MA, of St Columba, George Augustus Kinloch Honey, of Manila, to Margaret, second surviving daughter of the late Robert MacGregor, of Kinloch Rannoch, and sister of Dr Donald MacGregor, of Clapham-rise, London.

Aha. I can see how they knew each other now. The Heaths lived in Clapham Road.

Uncle John
23-06-15, 15:24

A bit late on the case, but St Columba's, Belgravia is a Church of Scotland.

ElizabethHerts
23-06-15, 16:14
Thanks, Uncle John. I didn't know that.