PDA

View Full Version : The McCruddens: Opinions and help, please

Shona
25-05-15, 18:10
Opinions, please, about my research on the McCruddens. I've had this in the 'too difficult' pile for far too long!

This being Irish research, there are unanswered questions, missing or non-existent records and a few assumptions! Any help finding the missing info or alternative suggestions would be appreciated.

Here we go...

Mathew McCrudden married Ellen 'Trainor' (lots of variants including Treanor and Traynor) on 2 August 1860 in Donagh parish, Co Monaghan.

From the transcriptions I've looked at, neither Mathew's nor Ellen's parents are named. Boo! The witnesses were Hugh McMeel and Catherine McCrudden.

Who is Catherine? A sister? Mother?

I was told by a contact this was Mathew's second marriage. He first married a woman with the surname McCague and had two children - Michael/Mickey and John.

I can't find a record of this marriage or the births of the two children.

However, John joined the police. He appears in the 1901 census as an RIC pensioner and married. However, his wife isn't with him.

Cornagilty, Tedavnet
John McCrudden, head, 50, married, RIC pensioner
Annie McCrudden, 5, daughter
Maggie McCrudden, 3, daughter
Agnes Mccrudden, 2, daughter
Rose McNally, 56, domestic servant

Can anyone find John's wife in 1901 or a marriage? As a policeman, he would have moved around a lot. He worked in Belfast at some point before retiring.

Mathew McCrudden's second marriage to Ellen Treanor produced the children named below.

There are discrepancies in the dates of birth in the records, therefore I have assumed the earlier dates are births and the later dates are baptisms. All the children were born/baptised in Donagh parish.

Children of Mathew McCrudden and Ellen Treanor:

- Bridget, born 16 June 1861, sponsors Charles McKenna and Catherine Hall
- Mary, born 5 May 1863, bpt 9 May 1865, sponsors Hugh and Mary McGonnell
- Anne, born 26 Sept 1865, sponsor Catherine Skinader
- Mathew, born c1866
- Owen, born 30 Aug 1867, bpt 7 Sept 1867, sponsors Andrew and Anne McQuaid
- Catherine, born 13 Jan 1873, bpt 14 Jan 1873, sponsors William and Rose McKenna
- James, born 27 April 1875, Cloghernagh, bpt 10 May 1875, sponsor Sarah Chester

Mathew McCrudden and two of his sons - Mathew and Owen - were living at Cloghernagh in 1901

Mathew McCrudden, 75, farmer, RC, read, widower, b Co Monaghan
Mathew McCrudden, 35, farmer's son, RC, R&W, married, b Co Monaghan
Bridget McCrudden, 30, daughter-in-law, RC, R&W, married, b Co Monaghan
Mathew McCrudden, 6m, grandson, RC, can't read, single, b Co Monaghan
Owen McCrudden, 26, farmer's son, RC, R&W, single, b Co Monaghan

I can't find a birth for the 35-year-old farmer's son, Mathew. Can others have a look, please, in case I'm missing the blinking obvious!

From the 1901 census, I've assumed Mathew McCrudden senior was born c1826. There is a death registered in Co Monaghan in 1906 for a 78-year-old Mathew McCrudden, which suggests the same year of birth. Irish death certificates don't name the deceased's parents, so I haven't bought the cert.

In trying to go back further, we move into the land of assumptions! As a farmer, Mathew senior should appear on the Griffiths Valuation lists.

Griffiths Valuation - Cloghernagh (carried out c1860)

Matthew McCrudden
Richard McCrudden
Owen McCaig
Michael McCaig
Myles McGuinness
Terence McGuiness
James McElmeel
Matthew McCrudden jun
Henry Sherlock
Patrick Traynor
James Sherlock
Owen Sherlock sen
Owen Sherlock jun
Richard Sherlock sen
Thomas Goodfellow
Michael Sherlock jun

Would I be reasonably safe, therefore, to assume that the Matthew McCrudden junior listed above is the same one who married Ellen Treanor and that the other Matthew named is his father?

Interesting to see the name McCaig and Traynor in the GV given Mathew's first marriage was to a McCague and second to a Treanor. The Hugh McMeel who witnessed the marriage of Mathew McCrudden and Ellen Treanor must be related to the McElmeel named above.

Next, I looked at the Tithe Applotment records for Cloghernagh townland.

Tithe Applotment books (1826)

Francis Sherlock
James Sherlock
Tom Goodfellow
Ambrose Sherlock
Antony Sherlock
Henry Sherlock
Michael Sherlock
Patt McElmeel
Owen McGinnis
Francis McCague
William McCrudden
Mathew McCrudden
James McCrudden

Could I assume that Mathew McCrudden highlighted above is the Mathew McCrudden senior names in the GV records?

Who are the other two McCrudden men in the Tithe Applotment records?

All help welcomed!

Merry
25-05-15, 18:40
I've not read past this bit yet:

However, John joined the police. He appears in the 1901 census as an RIC pensioner and married. However, his wife isn't with him.

Cornagilty, Tedavnet
John McCrudden, head, 50, married, RIC pensioner
Annie McCrudden, 5, daughter
Maggie McCrudden, 3, daughter
Agnes Mccrudden, 2, daughter
Rose McNally, 56, domestic servant

Can anyone find John's wife in 1901 or a marriage? As a policeman, he would have moved around a lot. He worked in Belfast at some point before retiring.

But is this the same family in 1911?

Townland/Street: Tullycallick

District: Emyvale

County: Monaghan

John McCrudden 61
Maggie McCrudden 36
Annie Maria McCrudden 15
John Patrick McCrudden 11
Bernard James McCrudden 10
Michael Joseph McCrudden 7
Mary Emily McCrudden 5
Susan Teresa McCrudden 3
Thomas McCrudden

Merry
25-05-15, 18:42
Hmmm, John, above is a farmer. They've been married 17 years.

Merry
25-05-15, 18:48
The above looks right, as he's Maggie with her parents and two sons:

Townland/Street: Aughanduff

District: Dorsey

County: Armagh

Bernard Mackin 59
Margaret Mackin 55
Margaret McCrudden 26
Kate Mackin 16
Susan Mackin 14
John Patk McCrudden 1
Berd James McCrudden

kiterunner
25-05-15, 19:01
The Irish Civil Registration indexes have a possible marriage in Jul-Sep 1893, Newry district, vol 1, p 1023. Ancestry lists these as the spouses for the two marriages on the page:
Margaret Haughian
John M'Crudden
John Hanratty
Maggie Mackey

kiterunner
25-05-15, 19:11
The National Library of Ireland are going to be putting all their Catholic parish registers online in July (for browsing; they won't be indexed by name), so it might be easier to research this family then.

Shona
26-05-15, 08:47
The National Library of Ireland are going to be putting all their Catholic parish registers online in July (for browsing; they won't be indexed by name), so it might be easier to research this family then.

Excellent! Thanks for pointing that out.

Shona
26-05-15, 13:55
The above looks right, as here's Maggie with her parents and two sons:

Townland/Street: Aughanduff
District: Dorsey
County: Armagh

Bernard Mackin 59
Margaret Mackin 55
Margaret McCrudden 26
Kate Mackin 16
Susan Mackin 14
John Patk McCrudden 1
Berd James McCrudden

Thanks, Merry! I've now found a their marriage. :):):)

7 September 1893

John McCrudden, Newtonhamilton, sergeant, father = Matthew McCrudden, farmer.
Margaret Mackin, Aughanduff, father = Bernard Mackin, schoolmaster.

There's a note which reads: 'Married in the Roman Catholic chapel of Mullaghbane according to the rites and ceremonies of the Roman Catholic Church by me, J Markey, Parish Priest, RI Constabulary.'

Bernard is recorded as a teacher in the census, as well.

Fits together very neatly!

Shona
26-05-15, 14:02
I was told by a contact this was Mathew's second marriage. He first married a woman with the surname McCague and had two children - Michael/Mickey and John.

There is a Michael McCrudden living in Cloghernagh in 1901 and 1911.

Michael McCrudden, head, 56, farmer
Catherine McCrudden, wife, 58
Mary-Anne McCrudden, daughter 18

Married 20 years; four children, 1 living.

Shona
26-05-15, 14:29
Found this...

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u654/shonamcisaac/IRA%20monaghan%20pic%202_zpshrwtomdg.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/shonamcisaac/media/IRA%20monaghan%20pic%202_zpshrwtomdg.jpg.html)