PDA

View Full Version : Wages circa 1880

Terri
23-05-15, 17:31
Does anyone know where I can find the wage a lance corporal in the British Army might be earning around 1880. I can only find US wages on Google.

Thanks

Shona
23-05-15, 18:10
It was 1 shilling a day up to the 1860 with stoppages for food, replacing uniform, kit and hospital stays. The Cardwell Reforms in the 1870s increased pay to 1 shilling and 2 pence per day with free bread, meat and potatoes. There were still some stoppages, such as stays in hospital, but they were reduced. Another change he brought in at the time was an increase in pay for good conduct and taking on extra duties. My GG Grandfather was a Lance Corporal at this time and got 1d increase for good conduct, but lost it later for being absent from duty. Once a soldier was transferred to the reserves, he received 4p a day.

Hope this helps.

Terri
23-05-15, 18:59
Thanks Shona. It does help.

According to his army records, from about 1876 to 1881, my lance corporal gg uncle was saving 15 shillings a month into the regimental savings scheme. It seemed quite a lot of money to save at the time, and it was - effectively half his wages. He amassed quite a sum of money.

Unfortunately the records don't say what he was earning.