PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Elizabeth Ann Cox in 1911

BlueSavannah
19-05-15, 08:23
Hi :)

I am hoping for a second pair of eyes to try and find the above lady on the 1911 census.

Elizabeth Ann was born Elizabeth Ann Taylor to parents Thomas Hayton Taylor & Sarah Ann Thompson on the 30th September 1874 in Carbrook, Sheffield. I have her on the 81 & 91 Censuses. She married Thomas Herbert Cox at Carbrook on the 25th December 1894 and they have one child; Thomas Henry Cox born 30th March 1896. Thomas Herbert then dies in the Sept Q of 1896. He is buried at Tinsley Park Cemetery. I then have Elizabeth Ann Cox, Widow, living with her son Thomas Henry at the home of her parents at 181 Dunlop Street, Carbrook on the 1901 census. She is listed as a Shop Keeper/Fried Fish & Chips.

On the 1911 Census, her son Thomas Henry Cox was living at the home of his grandparents Thomas & Sarah at 11 Newburn Road, Tinsley, Sheffield (comes under Rotherham district). Elizabeth was not present and I cannot locate her on this census. However, last night I found the army records of her son Thomas Henry in 1916 which gave his home address still as 11 Newburn Road, Tinsley, but gave his next of kin as his Mother, Elizabeth Ann Cox of 33 Hastings Street, Manchester (with something which resembles C.on.M.? between Hastings Street & Manchester).

Any help, much appreciated :)

Merry
19-05-15, 09:07
I checked the address from the army record in 1911 and it's headed by :

Caroline Palmer Head Widow Female 60 1851 Warmley Tower Bristol Boarding House Keeper

No one called Cox or from Sheffield staying there on census night.

Merry
19-05-15, 09:10
with something which resembles C.on.M.?

That's Chorlton on Medlock :)

BlueSavannah
19-05-15, 09:14
Thank you Merry for clarifying what those initials were, I live in Greater Manchester and I couldn't work it out at all :o

Thank you also for checking that address in 1911. I wonder if she ended up lodging there a few years later then for a short while.

Merry
19-05-15, 09:44
I give up!! lol

BlueSavannah
19-05-15, 10:27
After spending hours last night and more this morning before posting this thread, I think i've found her.....

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1911England&h=23509749&ti=5538&indiv=try&gss=pt&ssrc=pt_t2883779_p-474977843_kpidz0q3d-474977843z0q26aidz0q3d208099824791z0q26pgz0q3d3277 1z0q26pgplz0q3dpidz0q257caid

There is a marriage of an Elizabeth A Cox to William Henry Littlewood at Salford in 1905. I was under the impression that Elizabeth wasn't married again with her son giving her surname as Cox on his 1916 papers but maybe he just didn't know she had married again.

Thank you Merry for taking the time to look and at least I know what those initials stand for now :)

Merry
19-05-15, 11:12
Oooh well done. I would have seen that entry when I tried "Eliz* born in Carbrook", but didn't recognise her!

Do you think when she said 5 living children she was including her son by her fist marriage? :rolleyes:

BlueSavannah
19-05-15, 11:28
Good question that Merry because I can't see any other child to Elizabeth and William Littlewood so maybe she did have an attack of conscience and included her poor baby that she left behind in Sheffield with her parents :(

I did initially think that the first two children on that census were children William Littlewood had had to a first wife but i've found Ruby Littlewood's baptism on the Cheshire baptisms on FMP and her mother is Elizabeth Ann! So I wonder why the widowed Elizabeth Ann had two illegitimate children before she married William :rolleyes:

LancsBMD has the marriage at Salford Register Office. Unfortunately the other three children's baptisms are not on Ancestry's Lancashire or Manchester baptisms.

Merry
19-05-15, 12:08
Hmmm, it doesn't look as if William was previously married and waiting for the death of his spouse before marrying Elizabeth Ann, so goodness knows why they didn't marry sooner.

I should think her eldest son did know she had remarried as he knew her address in C on M. More likely the army officer asked his nok's name and he said Elizabeth Ann and they wrote Cox!